Creating a new PA position-Need Help

Hello everyone,

I will be graduating this summer.I contacted a practice owned by two physicians about possibility of working with them as a PA.To my suprise, they invited me to meet with them in two weeks.I am treating this as an interview even though they said we'd like to 'meet with you'.

I am taking with me my resume, a copy of the state's Laws and regulations for PAs, a business card and an employment/job proposal(the practice has never had midlevel providers and this will be essentially creating the position).I have drafted a written proposal but I am mainly having problems coming up with the perfect wording for the purpose of the proposal.

Anyone had experience with proposing the creation of a new PA position?I would appreciate any suggestions or comments about the entire idea and situation.

Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

This is the summary of the email I received from one of the physicians:

"They are not looking to hire a PA becuase they aren’t big enough to hire one on salary initially but would consider having me see patients and reimbursing me a % of what is collected. They would also help arrange and cover my medical malpractice for the short term. If things worked well – and they liked me and I liked them, then we could discuss additional arrangements".

I have not replied yet,they want me to get back to them to set a time to meet with them again.I really do want to work there because it will be a great experience for me as that is the field I want to practice in long term.

Please,please guys reply and help me with this.What do I need to know?What do I need to ask for as regards the percentage?Thanks.

Thanks FriarMedic for your response.If I do accept this arrangement it will be so I can gain experience as this is a specialty/field that I want to practice in on the long term.There is a lot of opportunities this practice will give me.I plan to find another job that will be salaried if the compensation here does not meet my financial needs.That is why I really want to know what to expect for a reasonable/fair compensation in this kind of situation,so I know how to negotiate with them.

Forget the naysayers, if this is what you want go for it. Get all the experience you can get. It sounds like these docs are nice enough and open minded enough...sounds like a good place to be. If things don't work out you will have experience and will be more of a competitive applicant elsewhere...Good luck!

marilynpac-Thanks for the well wishes.Yes,I really want the experience,it would have been nice if they could hire me on salary but I'm willing to go in do my best and learn all I can and since they have said additional arrangements could be made later,I'll just cross my fingers and wait till then(I'll have another employment too of course and if things dont work out,I have something to fall back on right away).I have replied that I would love to come in to discuss further,I will hear more about what they are expecting and will take it from there.

xxbowiexx-The real world is something isn't it?My!the responsibilities that come with being a grown up...what are your experiences with job hunting?

What is the specialty of this practice? Unless it's general practice (and even if it is) from what I hear there is a lot of learning to do early on, especially in your first year. I would be wary of the offer and of what they expect from you in your first year. To me it sounds like they're expecting near autonomy which, a year form now, will leave them and you unsatisfied with the setup (if you can't see patients that quickly, you won't be making any money).

In short: make sure they know you will need to consult with them a lot and that you will become more confident as time goes by.

Archived