Update: After much discussion and trying to correct the situation without success I was able to interview at one position.  It was a great interview and I have been informed I am one of the top candidates.  I will know in a few weeks if I actually get an offer.  If I do, I will take it.

The physician who I collaborate with and I had another discussion today, civil, and he will absolutely give me a good reference.  We have an agreement to let my current unsigned contract lay dormant until I know the outcome of the interview.  I will give a 60 day notice, no hard feeling or ill will, and will continue to see patients until I secure a new job.

If I am not offered the new position I will continue my job search and can stay at current place until I find appropriate employment.  I really have the sense I will get the job offer as the Regional Medical director of the organization is a physician I worked with during my first job in 2004 and she has intimated I will get the offer.  There are just 2 more interviewees left to screen.  There are 2 positions open.  There are opportunities for leadership positions, precepting, being involved in my own alma maters distance rural education program, and seems like there is great respect for PAs at the organization.  I am hopeful!!! 

You're going to give 60 days notice from the time you find out about the new job?  That seems like a long time to have the new job waiting for you to start. Is that standard in the field of medicine?  I'm not a PA yet but I was just thinking that every job I have had really needed someone to start right away and that played a big part in who ultimately got the job. Perhaps it's not an issue.  Just curious for my own information. 

It takes at least 60 days to get credentialed by a new employer, sometimes longer.  The paper work is enormous for credentialing.  I will need to be credentialed in their whole system, plus CMS, insurance plans, etc.  60 days notice gives the old employer a chance to find a replacement and is standard for positions like this to give a longer notice.  My unsigned contract says 90 days, but I am not beholden to any contract now.

I do not want to burn bridges either.  There is value in that and prevents anything from coming back to you years later. 

your mistake was going into the exam room

make the office staff tell them that you are not available - then they are the bad guys... they double booked you and they can correct it

BTW in todays day and age we ALL get complaints - and to say that one is an issue is a flat lie

also, it is good that your staff does not love you - you are the clinician and every once in a while you need to do what it right, even if the staff don't want to do it....

sounds like you are great to have around

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I was offered a position with an Internal Medicine group with ability to take on some FP duties if the need arises.  The clinic is part of a regional system and still in a rural area, closer to my home. I have given a tentative yes once I review their contract.  The upside is I have the opportunity to leave my current position where I still do not have a renewed contract.  I have been working at my current job for one month now without a contract. The new job is a decrease in pay....but they offer 401 plan, health, CME,  4 wk vacation a year, guaranteed salary for 2 years at $101,000 with ability to go off of guaranteed as soon as I meet the median criteria.  I have talked privately to the other 2 PAs who work for this group and they tell me I should be off guaranteed in 6 months.  One was at $130,00 within 6 months, and the other very experienced PA is above that up to $200,000.  We have the ability to work flexible schedules with one day off a week.  I like that.  I will be walking into a ready-made practice as 2 physicians have retired and there is no one else who is taking a lot of new patients. I have the ability to set up my schedule template for how long I want to see patients, so can schedule 40 or 45 for new patients, 20 minutes for f/u visits,  15 minutes for "quick care" visits, etc.  The collaborating physician and other physicians have said they do not hover over the PAs/NPs in the group and want us to work autonomously within our scope and experience.  

How do I leave my current employer when I have no contract and can't be unemployed for the 60-75 days it takes to get credentialed at the new palce? The contract is at the lawyers office for review of the parts I deleted that were unacceptable to me.  I do not know how long it will take before I find out if they agree to the changes I want.  The changes I requested is to extend the contract to 2 years, deleted the following clause: XXX clinic may terminate the Agreement immediately if such termination is in connection with two (2) or more, uncorrected substandard performance evaluations or issues.  ( If you have read the whole thread I had one complaint that was brought up at my last negotiation session on 10/31/14 and the physician and clinic director struggled to name names of who else complained or even what the complaints were).  I feel the termination clause sets me up for failure and it represents a hostile work environment.  The last change was for a 60 day notice rather than a 90 day notice. 

Here are my thoughts:

If they agree to my changes, sign the contract and once the higher ups have signed, give a 60 day notice.  It gives me an opportunity to remain employed for 2 months, not lose my health insurance or benefits that are due me when I leave such as vacation time I have been unable to use and will roll over to the new year. It will also trigger my new vacation benefits of 4 weeks per year, which when I leave should be pro-rated and paid out.  It might protect me from being walked out the door once I give notice. 

If they don't agree, not sign the contract.  Ask to be changed to an hourly wage employee with current wage, benefits, health insurance and vacation.  I would forego the CME pot of money and CME paid time off ( I think they would not let me have that benefit, also would not let me have the 4 weeks vacation).  I would ask them to give me a one page signed agreement that I can work there until I find employment elsewhere.  Once signed,  give a 60 day  notice (or less).

My estimated time of starting at the new job is Mid-March.  

My current employer moves at a snails pace when making these decisions and if I did not send email reminders to the clinic director nothing will get done on a timely basis.   Kind of tells me where I stand. 

Regardless, I am outta there mid-March.  Just trying to preserve health insurance mostly for family members who are covered who have special needs and income for a few more month.  I am primary earner in my family. 

Does this plan make sense?  

Archived