How does CASPA calculate GPAs?

On 4/22/2015 at 10:27 PM, Timon said:

Regarding online classes, its really hit or miss with people and their opinions of them. So I'm going to differ the answer to that at the discretion of the program and interviewer. I took 4 of my prerequisites online at University of Phoenix (all of which did not require any lab credits) and I was accepted and had other interviews when I applied. 

If I had a 3.0 sGPA and my cGPA was a 3.0 then I would apply and let the admission committee make the decision if its good enough or not. 

In regards to CASPA: just browse their FAQs and you can find a list of classes and what is considered a science class and what isn't considered one. Typically psychology classes are not considered science classes (per the CASPA website). You can always call or email CASPA and get an answer if you cannot locate it on their website. 

Timon, 

My overall GPA is below 3.0 and my science GPA is well above 3.0. Do you think I have a chance at PA school when one school tells me they won't even look at any application under 3.0?  Also which 4 courses did you take at University of Phoenix? And how can i bump my overall GPA?

On 7/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, Kaiya said:

Timon, 

My overall GPA is below 3.0 and my science GPA is well above 3.0. Do you think I have a chance at PA school when one school tells me they won't even look at any application under 3.0?  Also which 4 courses did you take at University of Phoenix? And how can i bump my overall GPA?

Hi Kaia,

I took Psych 101, Lifespan Development, Genetics, and stats from UOP. 

I know a number of people who have been accepted with less than a 3.0, but it's deceptive for one to think that's all there is to the story. 

The reality is, when you have so many credits under your belt and a poor GPA, it's near impossible to raise it. Taking a 4 unit class and getting an "A" or 4.0 credit only raises your GPA by 0.02 grade points. 

So although your GPA may be a 2.8 or 2.9, your last 120 units may actually be a 3.6-3.8 GPA. There are schools that will look at that (don't ask me because I've been out of that loop for some time), and there are numerous topics on this forum that discuss this.

The best thing to do is start with making an excel document that calculates your CASPA GPA. Then figure out how many units at a 4.0 you'll need to raise your GPAs to a 3.0, then execute.

While that is going on, look at programs that offer grade forgiveness, have lower GPA requirements (some schools are 2.5, 2.7, 2.9 and etc), or that focus on the last 45-60 units.

GPA is only 1 stat, so make sure you are also bettering everything else like your paid healthcare experience, healthcare certifications / increasing scope of practice, volunteering, shadowing and etc.

Best of luck!

• 9 months later...

I have an institution (community college) where I took a class but got grade forgiveness and earned no credit. I did not retake the course. In caspa it says to report all schools I earned credit from. I did not take any other classes from this school. Do I need to report this school? If I do and choose to manually input grades does it count as an F if it was forgiven but I did not retake it? Please help :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...