"Must Know" Tips for PA School Applicants

What if you petitioned to retake a course but it was denied. I was able to get more shadowing done and took a terminology course online as was recommended, I just was not able to retake the one course that seems to be holding me back. I do not wish to waste anybody's time. I do know it should be better and I know I can do better, if given the chance. I am definitely at a different place in my life and I know this is what I want to do forever. Should I reapply?

What if you petitioned to retake a course but it was denied. I was able to get more shadowing done and took a terminology course online as was recommended, I just was not able to retake the one course that seems to be holding me back. I do not wish to waste anybody's time. I do know it should be better and I know I can do better, if given the chance. I am definitely at a different place in my life and I know this is what I want to do forever. Should I reapply?

Why don't you take it somewhere else?

I'm only speaking from my experiences, but I don't think a coach is necessary for most applicants. Practice answering questions with friends or family members, and look at the interview as if you were writing an essay. The question of "Tell me a little bit about yourself" is the thesis statement, and the rest of the time you answer the question being asked while at the same time making sure you get in your 'talking points' similar to how politicians debate. The question is answered, but you also have the opportunity to give specific examples that really sell yourself. I suppose hiring an interview coach may work for some folks who don't have a lot of interview experience or who haven't had success during previous application cycles, but most candidates don't need to go to that extreme in my opinion. Congratulations on your acceptance, though, Rnydam!

• 1 month later...
Don't argue with an interviewer who is trying to help you. No matter how badly you don't want to hear what they have to say. Never show up for an interview in jeans or casual dress. If one is a reapplicant please do not come back the following year with the same low science GPA (it should be better), weak clinical experience (for programs that value clinical experience) or no community service if the program is know for being active in the community. You are wasting everyone's time. Especially yours.
As always I appreciate YOUR feedback LesH

• 4 weeks later...
For all those thinking about applying, I have a small piece of advice. I hired a coach and was accepted this year for a class graduating 2015. Although it is not cheap, it was worth it. I applied to only one school and was accepted. Do yourself a favor and hire a professional coach.

I'm sure Toastmasters would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a professional coach. Plus, you get like 10-15 coaches :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Would you mind sharing who you used as a coach? Did you go with someone locally or online?? I didn't get in this year and I know a lot of what I need to work on, but I don't want to spend the time, money, and effort that goes along with applying only to be turned down again- it's expensive and very stressful!! I want to be confident and get in this time around, so any tips you have (and/or coach info!) is appreciated! Thanks and congrats!! :smile:

Would you mind sharing who you used as a coach? Did you go with someone locally or online?? I didn't get in this year and I know a lot of what I need to work on, but I don't want to spend the time, money, and effort that goes along with applying only to be turned down again- it's expensive and very stressful!! I want to be confident and get in this time around, so any tips you have (and/or coach info!) is appreciated! Thanks and congrats!! :smile:

• 1 month later...

Would I stand a chance of being called for an interview?

I got my bachelors in liberal studies, did all the pre-reqs but will finish the rest this summer. I cannot apply for this years class but next years. I can get 3 letters including a PA I've shadowed. I worked in the hospital for a year as a transporter. I was involved in a few extracurriculars and some organizations in college. I will have around a 2.9 gpa by the end of this summer. Would they consider me in south Florida? Esp. Miami-Dade College's associate's program? Bc I gave up on a Masters, they won't consider me if it's below a 3.2...

I got my bachelors in liberal studies, did all the pre-reqs but will finish the rest this summer. I cannot apply for this years class but next years. I can get 3 letters including a PA I've shadowed. I worked in the hospital for a year as a transporter. I was involved in a few extracurriculars and some organizations in college. I will have around a 2.9 gpa by the end of this summer. Would they consider me in south Florida? Esp. Miami-Dade College's associate's program? Bc I gave up on a Masters, they won't consider me if it's below a 3.2...

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello im new to the PA forum

currently I am taking pre-reqs for PA school. I know the schools in general discourage their students from holding outside job, but is there anyone who is a PA student and working a job. i could really use some advice on this matter

I have a classmate who works due to family financial situation, he is not doing well study wise. IMHO, refrain... unless you absolutely must!

• 2 months later...

Hey all! My name's Anthony and I'm a first-year PA student at Touro University of Nevada, about to finish my second term. I keep a blog in which I write every 1-2 weeks all about what I've been doing inside and outside of PA school. Maybe it will help give some people some insight as to what to expect? Anyway, here's the link in case you want to check it out! Best of luck to everyone!

http://reviewofsystems.wordpress.com

Hey all! My name's Anthony and I'm a first-year PA student at Touro University of Nevada, about to finish my second term. I keep a blog in which I write every 1-2 weeks all about what I've been doing inside and outside of PA school. Maybe it will help give some people some insight as to what to expect? Anyway, here's the link in case you want to check it out! Best of luck to everyone!

http://reviewofsystems.wordpress.com

Spamthony - Even if I were interested in your blog, I'd resist checking it out because you so annoyingly advertised it everywhere you saw an opening on this forum. Etiquette. 

• Upvote 9

When I read your post, close to you by The Carpenters plays. Bravo

Why do birds suddenly appear

Every time you are near?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you

Why do stars fall down from the sky

Every time you walk by?

Just like me, they long to be

Close to you

On the day that you were born the angels got together

And decided to create a dream come true