Relocating to Austin - are there any PA jobs to be had?

Hi all...

I've been doing a great deal of internet browsing over the past few weeks. I'm relocating from Washington DC to Austin TX early next year. I'm very reluctant to move without a job in place - or at least several truly viable / promising options - but it appears that PA jobs are very, very hard to come by in Austin proper.

I currently work in Critical Care in the SICU and I've been practicing for about 5 years. (just passed the PANRE - hooray!) I'm open to changing scope of practice but I really do enjoy the hospital environment.

The impression I'm getting from friends who are employed in the Austin area and from what I've read is that many jobs that might be filled with a PA / NP are taken by MDs instead. There are fewer jobs, its a hot spot, etc. I also know there's a medical school being built right now which has the possibility of job opportunities once its up and running, but I'm unclear on what those opportunities might be.

I'm curious if anyone here has insight into the job market for PAs in Austin right now. Is it possible to find a job that pays reasonably? Ideally in a major hospital? Or is there truly nothing available? Your insights are welcome and thanks in advance.

Indeed.com is your friend.  You'll take a financial hit on two fronts, cost of living compared to other areas in the state and less money.  What you may be able to do is live on the north side of Travis County and hook up with one of the Baylor/Scott & White facilities who merged this year (last year?) and now run the scope of Tx/Okla. border down I35 to Austin area.  This won't be in your immediate future but the University of Texas at Austin is finally adding a med school to it's campus and will be needing additional providers to man the clinics that will be required to go hand and hand with their residencies.

• 10 months later...

How did you make out in Austin?  I am moving there as well, planning to move to Round Rock area, hopefully work in urgent care. I haven't found many open positions so far. I must confess I am a little worried.  I work in the ER for 5 years as well, hoping to transition to a steady work schedule.  Any advise from anyone in the area?

thanks.  

Archived