Personal Narrative for a Reapplicant with Low GPA. Any advice or comments. Thank you!

Ordered chaos: like worker bees buzzing frantically, each individual in the OR functioning independently, but dependent on one another, working as a team to prepare the patient. The wail of the bone saw cutting through the man's sternum, the pure white of the bone fracturing, dispersing shards. As I stood in awe atop the foot stool breathing through a mask, my eye shield fogging up, I could see the man's beating heart. Blood pumping, the smell of warm blood filled the room, it was open heart surgery.

Shortly after my CASPA submission last year, I observed Rob Frost, PA-C assist on a surgery, a fascinating experience that I will never forget. I shadowed Mr. Frost prior to the surgery, screening patients before the operation. Mr. Frost graciously acted as my mentor sharing his experience of getting into PA school. He similarly applied more than once and could empathize as a repeat applicant himself. “It will all be worth it,” he said, informing me it's actually a blessing to have additional time to reflect and improve the application, further solidifying your goal of PA. I took his advice and started this new year with an open mind continuing my PA journey not dwelling on disappointment but seeking opportunity.

By early 2014, I was exploring new ideas, tactics, and strategies to further myself along this journey. None were more impactful than the feedback sessions, which allowed me the opportunity to discuss my previous application with PA school representatives. After their harsh yet honest criticism, I was left with genuine suggestions, realistic expectations, and food for thought – however difficult to swallow it may have been.

The greatest flaw of my application was - and still is - my GPA. My college career certainly did not mirror the one I dreamed of. It took me nine years, six different schools (and being kicked out of one), all while working a total of five different jobs to pay for tuition, books, and tutors to finally earn a bachelor's of science degree from UCSD, an accomplishment I was told I’d never obtain. But, even after earning that degree, I knew it alone would not be enough to achieve my goal of PA school acceptance. I understand that my short-comings and less than stellar GPA lay squarely on my shoulders and I wholly accept responsibility for that. Academically, I have challenged myself not by simply re-taking courses in which I did poorly in the past, but rather taking new, hard sciences courses. PA school will be the hardest academic challenge of my life, and by taking these courses I demonstrate my academic potential and further prove my preparedness for PA school. Since my last application, I have taken 22.5 credits earning a 3.478 GPA. Accomplishing this has proved to me just how successful I can be when I am truly dedicated and aspire to be the best PA possible.

Since the feedback sessions, I have revamped my strategy, improving and refocusing the breadth of my experience on primary care, the basis to a solid PA background. Reducing my hours in a clinical research lab leaving befriended patients as their cognition declines, heartbreakingly watching Parkinson’s disease run its course; moving on from my clinical experience testing neurodegenerative disease patients as part of the multidisciplinary team at the UCSD Movement Disorder Center, physically holding up individuals with Multiple System Atrophy  as their blood pressure is measured since losing the use of their legs, taking the risk of  leaving that rich experience behind to expand my patient care. I have made the conscious choice to leave these established roles behind and since June, I have scheduled weekly shifts in a medically underserved non-profit primary care clinic in El Cajon, CA as a volunteer scribe. Here I have the great pleasure to observe an abundance of primary care health issues, from treating chronic diabetes and obesity to assisting with ear lavages. Every day I experience something new in a setting I am unfamiliar with. I hear Arabic and Spanish, I see children with no shoes on, but each individual shares the need for help and it is the best feeling to simply offer that.

Having this dream for nine years when I first applied to PA school, and now in my 10th year of this pursuit, I have re-strategized my approach, sacrificing the familiar for new opportunities, dedicating myself to this career. My PA shadowing hours are consistently climbing, my healthcare experience is diversifying, and most importantly my grades and academic preparation are improving. My training for this career is never stagnant; it is ever-changing, realizing that I will have an uphill battle for an invitation to an interview, the opportunity for acceptance, and the potential for a career as a PA. 

Some of these sentences run on unnecessarily like the ones below:

Ordered chaos: like worker bees buzzing frantically, each individual in the OR functioning independently, but dependent on one another, working as a team to prepare the patient.

Reducing my hours in a clinical research lab leaving befriended patients as their cognition declines, heartbreakingly watching Parkinson’s disease run its course; moving on from my clinical experience testing neurodegenerative disease patients as part of the multidisciplinary team at the UCSD Movement Disorder Center, physically holding up individuals with Multiple System Atrophy  as their blood pressure is measured since losing the use of their legs, taking the risk of  leaving that rich experience behind to expand my patient care.

Also, reading that you went to six schools AND were kicked out of one is a red flag.  Two sentences to explain how you improved on this was not convincing enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess my overall critique is that, after reading it, I still don't know much about you.  We're just gonna gloss over 6 schools and getting kicked out of one?  How about we clarify that.  I feel like you talked more about how others told you to change, than what you really did to make those changes.  In that regard, this could have been any reapplicant's paper.  Also, and I hate to sound rude here, but 22 credits with a 3.4 GPA isn't really that impressive, esp considering a background of sub-par performance.  Lastly, I feel like you can't say this is your 10th year of pursuit without telling me a.) why it's taken 10 years to get here and b.) why you're ready now.  

Archived