Dietitian looking to become a PA

I've been a registered dietitian for 2 years, and I'm looking to apply to PA programs for Fall 2015 (just over a year out.)  I have worked as a community RD for a year and a half, and now I'm working at a hospital as a bariatric surgery RD.)

I am very good with my patients, and I really do love being a dietitian, but I'm finding myself frustrated that I can only help them so much before I have to hand them over to the doctor, nurse, NP etc.  I would love to be both a practicing PA while maintaining my RD credential so I can continue to do what I do for patients now, only as a piece of a more complete picture (if that makes sense.)

My concerns are that my GPA is only 3.2, and that my time as a community RD won't be looked upon as "clinical experience" (I was essentially counseling people outpatient, but it was through a free-of-charge program, and it was not in a health care environment.)

MY GRE scores are 151 for quantitative, 158 for verbal, and 4.0 for analytical writing.

I graduated college in 3.5 years instead of 4, mostly for financial reasons.  Does this look good to programs, or would it at least give me some flexibility on my GPA as I had heavier course loads than most?  Or should I just not bother mentioning it?

I'm currently in Maryland, where I hear the acceptance rates for PA's are more competitive than they are for med students, but honestly I'd relocate anywhere in the country that I could be accepted.  How do you think I can position myself as a strong candidate?  I am looking for PA's to shadow maybe once a week throughout the next year.  Is this a good idea? Should I consider retaking some of my old courses to up my GPA a little?  Honestly my grades were a lot of B's with a C here or there, it probably wouldn't up my GPA very much.

Thanks for any input! My drive, knowledge, and passion are all there, I just want to feel confident that I really am a good fit for this on paper as well.

Personally, I think you're a perfect candidate for a PA program.  You're someone who's worked directly with patients to improve health outcomes.  Some programs might not consider this the best experience, but many will.  You've got to find a list of a few dozen schools you wouldn't mind attending and figure out which 6 or 10 really seem to value someone with your background.  Like you, I have a less conventional background as a Chinese medicine practitioner (acupuncture, herbs, nutrition, etc).  My GRE is good, but my undergrad GPA definitely wasn't the strongest part of my app (i.e. what got me interviews).  (cGPA: 3.2!  sGPA and recent 45-credit GPA: 3.5)  Yet I'm finding schools all over the country are eager to send interview invitations.  No question, the reason is because a) it's a unique background, b) a pretty solid case can be made for how useful this background would be as a PA, and c) I've shown through examples in my own clinical practice as well as in my personal statement and interviews that a "complementary or alternative care" background is in huge demand and already proves its worth in daily practice.  You can speak with the confidence that you have an essential skill that basically no other health professional has.  The nutritional training (and value placed on nutrition in general) among doctors, nurses, and PAs is pathetic in this country.  Based on the reception I've received as a natural medicine practitioner, I am certain you will find programs seeking someone like you (whether they realize it now or not).  Mid-interview, the chief medical officer at a school that ultimately accepted me said something to the effect of "We have never interviewed an applicant with this kind of a background, but I can see now that it makes so much sense."  The same (or similar) could be said of a dietician.  Good luck! 

• 1 month later...

I'm not accepted yet (I do have one interview scheduled at this point) but don't get down on your experience as an RD. I worked as an RD for a couple years in LTC/rehab and now switched to a part-time public health position so I could re-take anatomy and micro (due to them being 8 yrs ago). Almost nobody outside the field of nutrition realizes that we have to do biochem, ochem, metabolism, etc etc.....a year long internship, which we pay thousands of dollars for, while we try to finance living expenses with a crappy loan because it is not technically "school" and then to pass the exam (which I passed with flying colors but felt discouraged about afterwords because it did not strike me as something that tested my knowledge of nutrition whatsoever) and then get into the field and feel that 5 years (in my case 6 years) was spent to do something that is not entirely fulfilling. Trust me I am in the same boat - the entire profession and training for RD needs to be changed in my opinion as half of dietetics grads don't even get an internship and they can't get jobs. Anyway I know I am preaching to the choir but I feel much better now! FYI I counted some of my internship hours as direct HCE because...it was.  So don't disregard those hrs. Also definitely shadow PAs in different areas, though weekly may be overkill - most programs I don't think would see it beneficial to do more than 100ish? Maybe others can chime in on that. I had about 30 hrs and I'm continuing for my own benefit, but don't do it just to rack up hours. Also I got basic first aid/CPR training as I think anything you can put on the app to beef it up is good. Depending on how long it's been, I may suggest re-taking anatomy because you will need to know every bone, muscle, nerve, etc anyway and I sure don't remember that stuff.  It would probably look good to programs too.  Good luck!

• 7 months later...

I've been a registered dietitian for 2 years, and I'm looking to apply to PA programs for Fall 2015 (just over a year out.)  I have worked as a community RD for a year and a half, and now I'm working at a hospital as a bariatric surgery RD.)

I am very good with my patients, and I really do love being a dietitian, but I'm finding myself frustrated that I can only help them so much before I have to hand them over to the doctor, nurse, NP etc.  I would love to be both a practicing PA while maintaining my RD credential so I can continue to do what I do for patients now, only as a piece of a more complete picture (if that makes sense.)

My concerns are that my GPA is only 3.2, and that my time as a community RD won't be looked upon as "clinical experience" (I was essentially counseling people outpatient, but it was through a free-of-charge program, and it was not in a health care environment.)

MY GRE scores are 151 for quantitative, 158 for verbal, and 4.0 for analytical writing.

I graduated college in 3.5 years instead of 4, mostly for financial reasons.  Does this look good to programs, or would it at least give me some flexibility on my GPA as I had heavier course loads than most?  Or should I just not bother mentioning it?

I'm currently in Maryland, where I hear the acceptance rates for PA's are more competitive than they are for med students, but honestly I'd relocate anywhere in the country that I could be accepted.  How do you think I can position myself as a strong candidate?  I am looking for PA's to shadow maybe once a week throughout the next year.  Is this a good idea? Should I consider retaking some of my old courses to up my GPA a little?  Honestly my grades were a lot of B's with a C here or there, it probably wouldn't up my GPA very much.

Thanks for any input! My drive, knowledge, and passion are all there, I just want to feel confident that I really am a good fit for this on paper as well.

I am curious if you went and got your PA after being a dietitian as I am in my UG for dietetics and am considering getting my PA after my RD or making the switch fully and not becoming an RD.

I'm not accepted yet (I do have one interview scheduled at this point) but don't get down on your experience as an RD. I worked as an RD for a couple years in LTC/rehab and now switched to a part-time public health position so I could re-take anatomy and micro (due to them being 8 yrs ago). Almost nobody outside the field of nutrition realizes that we have to do biochem, ochem, metabolism, etc etc.....a year long internship, which we pay thousands of dollars for, while we try to finance living expenses with a crappy loan because it is not technically "school" and then to pass the exam (which I passed with flying colors but felt discouraged about afterwords because it did not strike me as something that tested my knowledge of nutrition whatsoever) and then get into the field and feel that 5 years (in my case 6 years) was spent to do something that is not entirely fulfilling. Trust me I am in the same boat - the entire profession and training for RD needs to be changed in my opinion as half of dietetics grads don't even get an internship and they can't get jobs. Anyway I know I am preaching to the choir but I feel much better now! FYI I counted some of my internship hours as direct HCE because...it was.  So don't disregard those hrs. Also definitely shadow PAs in different areas, though weekly may be overkill - most programs I don't think would see it beneficial to do more than 100ish? Maybe others can chime in on that. I had about 30 hrs and I'm continuing for my own benefit, but don't do it just to rack up hours. Also I got basic first aid/CPR training as I think anything you can put on the app to beef it up is good. Depending on how long it's been, I may suggest re-taking anatomy because you will need to know every bone, muscle, nerve, etc anyway and I sure don't remember that stuff.  It would probably look good to programs too.  Good luck!

I am curious if you got your PA after being an RD for awhile.   I am in my UG for dietetics and am considering getting my PA after my RD or making the switch fully and not becoming an RD.  I need some advice from someone like you who has maybe been through this.

Archived