SB1083 Bill to allow us to FINALLY sign EDD forms

I got this from CAPA:

Dear Joel,

Great News! Senate Bill 1083, the CAPA sponsored bill which would authorize physician assistants (PAs) to certify a claim for short-term disability insurance benefits through the Employment Development Department has reached the Governor's desk. CAPA's expert Legislative Team have really worked this bill and thanks to your help along the way, it is now in the hands of the Governor. The Governor needs to hear from you, your supervising physician, friends and colleagues.

We urge you to take just 2 minutes to click on the links below and send an email to Governor Brown. Please send the message (already composed for you) and let the Governor know this bill corrects current inconsistencies with our scope of practice given that California law explicitly permits PAs to act as an agent of their supervising physician. SB 1083 would increase access to much needed benefits for our patients and streamline office functions.

CAPA is working every day for California PAs. SB 1083 is an important piece of legislation. Let's work together to ensure that PAs are added to the list of those 
currently authorized to certify claims for Disability Insurance (DI). This list now includes: licensed medical or osteopathic physicians, medical officer of a U.S. Government facility, chiropractor, podiatrist, optometrist, dentist, psychologist, nurse practitioner (after examination and collaboration with a physician and/or surgeon), licensed mid-wife, nurse-midwife, or nurse practitioner (for normal pregnancy or child-birth), or an accredited religious practitioner.

Thank you,

CAPA

CAPA members please look for it in your email and send it in.

The list of who can certify DI claims is a reason by itself of why PAs should be included.  An accredited religious practitioner?  What does that mean?  A pastor, priest or rabbi can certify DI? 

Gov Brown should have no reason to not sign. 

I agree. FWIW, CAPA has really been on these issues. They've been working on this for a couple of years now. Hemegroup and I wrote letters to them and contacted them before. There was a thread on it here so kudos to CAPA. I also see how long it takes to get something before the governor.

lucky you. working in the e.d. I deal with it every day.

never say never.

I can envision a scenario in which one of your pts might claim "occupational exposure" for their illness.

Thats crazy E. Can't say I've ever filled out disability paperwork in the ED; everyone gets bounced back to their PCP or occupational medicine.

Thats crazy E. Can't say I've ever filled out disability paperwork in the ED; everyone gets bounced back to their PCP or occupational medicine.

by disability paperwork I mean work comp forms. how many days off, what is the lt duty restriction, etc. In OR and WA you have to use their forms which basically require you to rewrite your chart at least twice, sometimes more. they added a new form this year on top of those called the activity prescription form(APF) and have said they will only pay for the visit if it is filed within 24 hrs of the visit.

by disability paperwork I mean work comp forms. how many days off, what is the lt duty restriction, etc. In OR and WA you have to use their forms which basically require you to rewrite your chart at least twice, sometimes more. they added a new form this year on top of those called the activity prescription form(APF) and have said they will only pay for the visit if it is filed within 24 hrs of the visit.

So do employers in WA and OR not typically have a contracted worker's comp/occupational health service that would handle these issues? Locally we will see worker's comp patients in the ER for their initial care (if any is needed) but any follow up evaluation, to include duty restriction, return to duty and the like, is handled by the employer's worker's comp/occupational health provider.

So do employers in WA and OR not typically have a contracted worker's comp/occupational health service that would handle these issues? Locally we will see worker's comp patients in the ER for their initial care (if any is needed) but any follow up evaluation, to include duty restriction, return to duty and the like, is handled by the employer's worker's comp/occupational health provider.

most of the time if it is a self limited illness or injury we see them 2-3 times then release them to full duty. if they look like they aren't getting better we turf those and folks who want long term disability to one of the few occ med groups in the area.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I made the difference LOL!!!

Hers what I got from CAPA today:

"Dear Joel,

I would like to thank you individually for taking action and sending an email to the Governor asking him to sign SB 1083.

Your individual action made a difference!
Governor Brown signed SB 1083!

CAPA members came through again in a BIG way with over 1300 of you sending emails to the Governor. Our successes are due to everyone working together as a cohesive team!! We are so PROUD to announce that yesterday; Governor Jerry Brown signed SB 1083 Physician Assistants: Disability Certification.

SB 1083 - Another big win for California PAs!
"

Hahaha I'm a PA hero!!!  :P

• 1 year later...

Archived