Leaving job for Urgent Care without Contract

Anybody else work in urgent care and not have a written contract? I'm leaving my full time position in Internal Med and have been promised 40hrs/wk and a more competitive salary by email after meeting up with the employer. I already signed all the paperwork to become an employee and worked a few shifts. Although he has verbally reviewed the pertinent details of the position/compensation, there was no mention of a binding/non-binding contract with salary info, incentives, PTO structure etc. My feeling is that the employer is sincere and will uphold his offer but am I just being naive to not push the written contract? Is this how urgent care jobs are operated in that they will give you set shifts/month but NOT require a 1-2 year contract, non-compete clause or a 30-60 day notice of leave?

The new UC setting that I had been looking at late spring-early summer (still not open BTW) provided a contract with detailed hourly rate, statement stating that you were an IC (never mentioned during interview), an non-compete clause (which they were willing to waive), and details on employment termination.  And this was for a part-time position.  In no other employment setting have I had to sign an employment agreement.  I'm currently with the VA and here, I think they're happy just to have a warm body in the position.

If the clinic is already established, and has been in business for a while, ask to shadow part of a shift and ask the other employees their impression.

Archived