Help with applying!

I apply April of 2015 to about 7 different school. Wish me luck! I have several questions that I'm not finding the answers to so please help.

1. Can I create a Caspa account NOW and start working on it?

2. Generally how long does it take for transcripts from school to arrive at caspa? More specifically how soon should I ask for them to be transferred?

3. I had my CNA license but it expired four years ago. Should I re certify just to have it on my application or is there somewhere that I can write "previously certified"?

4. I graduate from the University of Arizona in early May of 2015, the 15th I believe. Is it worth it to wait for my last semester of grades and apply in mid May vs mid April? Or should I just apply as soon as the application opens and send my last semesters transcripts as soon as they're available?

Thank you!!

I apply April of 2015 to about 7 different school. Wish me luck! I have several questions that I'm not finding the answers to so please help.

1. Can I create a Caspa account NOW and start working on it?

2. Generally how long does it take for transcripts from school to arrive at caspa? More specifically how soon should I ask for them to be transferred?

3. I had my CNA license but it expired four years ago. Should I re certify just to have it on my application or is there somewhere that I can write "previously certified"?

4. I graduate from the University of Arizona in early May of 2015, the 15th I believe. Is it worth it to wait for my last semester of grades and apply in mid May vs mid April? Or should I just apply as soon as the application opens and send my last semesters transcripts as soon as they're available?

Thank you!!

1. No. Current CASPA apps are for those applying this year, for 2015. You have to wait until April 2015 to open an app.

2. Depends on the school. Usually within two weeks. Sometimes you can pay to expedite. App needs to be started before transcripts arrive.

3. Don't know that one. Sorry.

4. Applications made by the end of June are early enough. I would wait. Just get everything else done so you are ready to hit send once transcripts are in.

You could start working on your PS, study for and take GREs, start lining up people to provide LORs, etc. Lots to do before you sleep.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

#3.  In CASPA, you'll just indicate "Certified Nursing Assistant" and then list the dates "from" and "to."  All I'm learning is that it's the quality direct patient care experience (and amount of it) that everyone cares about.  Whether or not you allowed your CNA to lapse seems like a distant consideration compared with the bigger reasons you decided to do so.  What's your overall picture, and how do your aims justify dropping the license?  Have you grown beyond your role as a CNA, expanding your opportunities and HCE, or are you just looking to save a few bucks and, in the mean time, effectively end your patient contact?  Some schools actually expect you to be paid in order to consider your HCE, but in my experience so far, most just want to see someone who's ambitious and growing in a patient care capacity, whether that's with some sort of license or not.  And when in doubt, call a bunch of admissions reps and ask them directly.  Good luck...

I also graduated from the University of Arizona and I waited until my final semester grades were posted before I applied. Many programs accept applications with pre reqs still in process but they state that these applications may not be as competitive. In my opinion it is worth it to wait. PM me if you have any other questions for a fellow Wildcat :).

I also graduated from the University of Arizona and I waited until my final semester grades were posted before I applied. Many programs accept applications with pre reqs still in process but they state that these applications may not be as competitive. In my opinion it is worth it to wait. PM me if you have any other questions for a fellow Wildcat :).

You really need to ask your schools directly. I thought the same thing until my top pick told me the advantage you get from applying early (to that school) outweighs the advantage of completed coursework. As a result, Im really glad I applied early and sent transcripts later. I already got an interview!

Guest MedLib42

Thank you!!

That depends on the school, as zoopeda said. I applied to several that had rolling admissions (despite their set deadline, lol), and the advice I got from those schools, as well as their previous students, was to try and get the app submitted as soon after CASPA opens as possible regardless of outstanding coursework.  I think I started my app the day CASPA opened, and submitted it a few days later. When I finished my classes in May, I did a CASPA grade update (which they'll send to the schools even before they receive the official transcripts), and sent transcripts to the schools. I'm glad I did it that way, but if the schools you are applying to don't tend to do rolling admissions, you might be fine to wait until May to submit, because for many, May is still considered early. Ask the schools you're applying to directly.

All of the schools that I am applying to are rolling admissions so that's good to know. I was sort of leaning toward doing the same thing you did MedLib42. As for my HCE, CNA certification was just the start, but I'm glad I can still put it on there, thank you zoopeda! I've got a bit more under my belt for HCE, thank goodness. I just got back from Africa. I worked in a hospital off of the coast of Mombasa and I've been a hospice volunteer for a little over a year. I've also done small volunteering projects here and there. Thank you guys for everything! This is really helping!

I applied my junior year with summer class grades pending, all senior year and 3 or so pre reqs pending. Wasn't really a problem. I did call schools first and make sure. Some schools only want 1-2 outstanding pre reqs from what I remember.

I'd encourage you to apply ASAP and don't wait for grades to post unless you think you failed a class or something.

Archived