Practicing Internationally (Guam)

Hey Guys!

I am a PA student about to graduate this December. My husband is a Navy Doctor contemplating being stationed in Guam. I have no colleagues that have practiced internationally as a civilian PA and was curious how and who you would contact regarding jobs available in Guam for a PA. I am nervous about practicing overseas, but have no other option if my husband will be stationed there. I would love any information or contacts you may know of that I can get in touch with who have or are curently practicing in Guam or Internationally. Any feedback on experiences would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first job out of school, which is another reason I am nervous

• 2 months later...

Um, Guam is a US territory, so not really internationally.  Same rules should apply as far as PA's go.  Food for thought.......

Physician Assistants 

page2_16.gif PACIFIC ISLE - needs a PA that wants to do Cardio (will train) or a PA that has worked in Cardiology. Salary, benefits, vacation/CME, etc. start Fall, 2014 after licensing or later. 

On HOLD (2 locations) - needs several PA (perm) or Nurse Practitioners (perm or 6-12 month locums) - urology, nephrology, pediatrics urgent care (some peds), primary care/IM. One has no Federal Income Tax; the other no State income tax. (EmS-Nb-14)  

Found that little post on this site in about 30 seconds.  Happy hunting.   http://www.mdopenings.com/pacificisles.html

And just food for thought........you should probably contact a Navy Officer Recruiter.  When I was in, they guaranteed duty stations for husband and wife together.  Especially as a PA.  Your starting salary will be much higher than civilian pay and your benefits as well.  Less politics involved, and oh, did I mention- tuition reimbursement or a nice signing bonus.  Forget civilian contracting, just get a medical corps commission.  Done deal.

Good idea from Navyfly.  Your husband is a Navy Dr. so they should be able to accommodate you.  There are perks in life.  Even in civilian world spouses of doctors who are also doctors, NPs or PAs tend to get hired as a package deal.  At least it is true in my neck of the woods.

Check out: http://www.expresscareguam.com/

There is one other place I know of but you do not want to work there.

The licensing is straight forward and low cost. As mentioned it is a US territory so not international. Check out:http://www.dphss.guam.gov/content/forms-documents

I almost worked there but got too busy with the mil stuff. Had a colleague that did and knew of several others that did. 

Now as far as the Navy Doc/Navy PA-C collo, good luck. That can be tricky depending on what kind of doctor the spouse is...seen too many promises going through MEPS then epic disappointment. If they are FM then highly likely. If they are a Neurosurgeon then it is a bit tricky...initial utilization tours for PAs are trending towards PC/FMF and have been historically. We are now breaking out in to specialties more and more but still takes some serious navigation. BTDT.

Archived