Clinical Psychology Degree with PA License

Well jeez, I would hope that I could at least perform in the realm of decent on the MCAT. Really, my blunder with pre-reqs for the MCAT is having to take Physics and Organic Chemistry II. Dreadfully fear Physics... I will still have to research PA outlooks in neuropsychology and behavioral health as a stand alone without the additional Psych degree. Interesting to know the realities of NP preference in Psychiatry though. 

I wasn't trying to imply you wouldn't do well on the MCAT. I was merely stating that the bar is lower for DO school.

How do you like the dhsc process you're doing, thus far? Out of the three you mentioned, I would be trying to earn the most applicable degree. I am in an area of research now that is really neat and I am cure to delve into some others... just don't ever want a degree I don't utilize. 

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

see my thread on my DHSc program at the top of  the recovery room area of this forum . in short, love it. almost done.

I will be sure to check it out. I will be able to navigate around here with no problems very soon. If I haven't worn you out with questions as is, if I were to stay in academia (research), would you recommend going through PA school first? I see the DHSc is something you did after the fact. Primarily, I am research oriented with practice taking second place. 

I am a clinical psychologist and PA in private practice. I was a psychologist first, and then because I found the biopsychosocial model so compelling, wanted to be able to understand and treat the biological piece. At 35, with 2 kids, it was too much time and commitment to go the whole med school and residency route, so this has worked out well for me. I am a partner in a practice which allows me the freedom to do as much therapy and med management as I like. Unfortunately, the reimbursement for therapy is not good, and is getting worse with each passing year (the market is flooded with master's level therapists, for one). To make decent money, most of my practice is geared toward meds. This is why most psychiatrists don't do therapy...but they can do it if they choose. If I were to do it all over again, I'd do med school and psych residency. Let's face it, it's an MD world, and they will always have options and autonomy we won't.  Please understand, I love what I do, but the commitment to the PhD program--after PA school, is a minimum of 5 years in most cases, during which you'll get rusty in medicine. Four years of med school and 3-4 of residency work out to about the same amount of time training, but in the end there's much more money, independence, and broader career options with the MD. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. Best of luck.

• Upvote 3

• 10 months later...

I see more NP propaganda up top from the resident NP...

Most Psych NPs that I worked/work with got their PNP from ONLINE PROGRAMS...

Yep they were instructed to read a few books on counseling theory, took a few multiple guess tests on what they read, then allowed to observe their preceptor do a little therapy.

PAs that want to do therapy CAN read the same books. So... the emphasis on being given a couple books to read by your online PNP program is kinda silly.

Yes there are billing issues for therapy by SOME Insurance companies. This is NOT really that big of a deal when one considers, like as said above...

Just about ALL Therapy is done by poorly paid/poorly reimbursed Master's Level Therapists.

FEW "Prescribers" (MD/DO/PA/NP) do anything more than Medication Management along with "supportive psychotherapy" and/or "Motivational Interviewing."

Why...??? Because that practice needs these HIGHLY PAID prescribers ... prescribing/managing/assessing. That's where the money is.

YMMV

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

I am currently in a Clinical Psychology masters program and I love what I am learning and what the job will entail of afterwards. After graduating from my bachelors I had to take a gap year in order to finish up my pre-reqs and gather clinical hours. I felt like there was a gap in my life like I had unfinished business with my self and I did not feel confident applying to PA school yet. Going through this masters program in Clinical Psychology has helped me find my self immensely! psychology is a beautiful field that helps you understand human behavior. So I can see why you would want to combine both professions! I do know that having a background in psychology would make you a PA with amazing bedside manners and a great understanding for diversity, the human mind, the mind when it is ill, and so forth. I still would love to apply to PA school and I only have one life to live so I might after a few years of working as a licensed clinical therapist. 

So what I am trying to say is if you are trying to save time and you are passionate about PA school, go to PA school! and work in the mental health field. But if you are curious about taking the clinical psychology route get your masters, get licensed as a clinical psychologist and work as a clinical psych for a few years until you are ready to apply to PA school. I don't think you can combine both I have tried looking into it and understand why you would be curious about it. But they are both very different professions and are kept separate for that same reason.  

• 2 years later...
On 8/4/2014 at 9:42 AM, Lexapro said:

"You can do pretty average on the MCAT and get into DO school. Psychiatry is not a competitive medical specialty at all so you won't even have pressure to do well on your boards - you just need to merely pass."

You can get into either DO or MD school with an ok MCAT if the rest of your packet is outstanding. You still have to have a high GPA in your science courses to get into med school, regardless of whether it's an MD or DO school. Even with a sort of ok MCAT (502), tons of experience and community service, and 2 masters degrees with a 4.0... if the undergraduate science courses are not outstanding, they will likely pass. The only way I think they would look over a lower science GPA is if you had an outstanding MCAT score.