PA's doing Intravitreal injections

Has anybody heard of, or for that matter any PA's out there doing intravitreal injections for AMD? Had the opportunity to talk with a retinal ophthalmologist who does alot of these injections. He had heard that there were some PA's out there that were starting to do these under the supervision of a retinal ophthalmologist. The injection itself technically is not that difficult. It's deciding who gets it and dealing with the complications that gets sticky. I searched the forum and found nothing out there. Googling revealed little. I may have the unique opportunity to do these in the future and want the be ahead of the curve.

I did some searching that way and found the PAs are used in this field mostly in the preop h&p land and postop followup. I has to be done somewhere. There are not alot of PAs in the field. But will keep searching. There was a post from someone earlier about being hired as a opthamalogic pa. I have am email out to them

I am currently looking into this for my Capstone project.  I have found a few PAs that work in retina and am in the process setting up an interview time with them to discuss their scope of practice.  Cleveland Retina has PAs, but  I was told they DO NOT allow them to do the injections.  I did find an article on PubMed regarding the safety of NPs performing avastin injections in the UK.  Im interested in any other comments this post gets. 

Archived