Explain bad grades in personal essay?

I received 2 D's on my transcript from 5 years ago. They are the 2 worst grades I have received and I'm not sure how to explain them. They were prerequesites for PT school and I was working a lot and lost interest in the classes. Do I need to point this out on my personal essay if it is not a prereq for PA school? If so, I'm not sure how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I keep reading that briefly touching upon the subject in a concise yet upbeat manner is the way to go. Saying something that ties your workload to the low grades and then highlighting how you made a comeback and improved shows that you are aware of the shortcomings and that you have worked to correct it.

Best of luck!!!!

I'm a current PA student and I had a D and an F from years ago on my transcript. I was careful not to draw specific attention to them, but instead I brought up that I had some "mediocre" grades early on in college, but once I found a career I really wanted to be part of, I gained the motivation to get my grades up. But of course this would only work if your recent GPA was good! good luck and just focus on the positive. everyone makes mistakes, the schools just want to know that you're capable of succeeding in a high speed and high stress academic environment.

Archived