• Administrator

Graduate -> PANCE -> State License -> DEA

In my case, I did my DEA application the day I got my state license number issued (which was also the day I got my PANCE results), and it was issued in like a day or two.

Mind you, I already was a known quantity to the U.S. Government, was applying with business address where there were already 50+ clinicians with DEA numbers, but it was almost absurdly fast for U.S. Government responsiveness.  This was in late 2012.

• Administrator

Uh.....

You mean one with your name, business address, and DEA number printed on it?

Does the clarifying question illuminate the answer for you?

In point of fact, I don't have a prescription pad.  EPIC prints prescriptions on tamper-proof paper with my DEA and NPI number on them when necessary, and everything else is sent electronically.

Im amused and actually took the time log back in, after being auto-logged off some weeks ago, bc I couldnt resist. This is surely a troll or someone who is obviously not in PA school, not a PA or anything close to that, looking for a way to write Rxs, as if it were just a matter of letters on paper.

I am not trying to write prescriptions, and am certantly not a troll of any sorts. I am not in PA school, nor am a PA and I never claimed to be. I am a registered nurse who I feel is being lied to by an ex-coworker of mine, who said she graduated from Albert Einstein PA school a few weeks ago, (come to find out that albert einstein does not have a PA program) and that she is working in Montefiores medical centers ER, already writing prescriptions on her own prescription pad, intubating people, and other such things that didnt seem realistic as she was doing these things two days after graduation. 

I came to this site hoping for answers and some clarification.

I am not familiar with the ins and outs of physicians assistants, as I dont deal with them on the unit I am on. I appreciate any information you are willing to share.

• Administrator

On a couple of occasions as a PA student, I would carry a preceptor's pad, fill out the appropriate prescription for the condition as it existed, and then justify to my preceptor why I wanted to do it that way.  He would either sign off or not--and usually did, because I was not going to write something out unless I was VERY sure what the right answer and treatment was.  But it was HIS pad, HIS license, HIS signature, and HIS say-so that my idea was correct enough to endorse.

To animallover, why wouldnt you just highlight that in the begining? Even as a nurse I would think you would know people arent given prescription pads like licenses. There are so many places to obtain the answer to your question, it just appeared trollish. O/w im Truly Sorry if I offended you. (Unless you are a troll)

Ps and you also added "when we were writing prescriptions".

the places I was looking seemed unclear, one search resulted in saying that prescriptions could still be written out without a DEA number, and that a DEA number was only needed for narcotics. I work on a med-surg floor and do not deal with prescriptions. I know most are done electronically now from my experience at the MD office. Everything about this woman's story is sketchy, yet she seems so confident in her answers. I didnt want to confront without getting my facts straight.

I think Albert Einstein School of Medicine has a partnership with Montfiore. Check out their website, unless its closed, she may be a student and could be participating in all these activities. If she just graduated a few weeks ago, unlikley she is actually performing these task right now, but may well be in the near future.

So if she claimed she graduated from ALBERT EINSTEIN COM PA program and no such program exists, what more do you need to call her on the lie?

Why all the questions about prescription pads, seems unnecessary next to the fact that her claimed program doesn't exist.

• Administrator

I can still write a prescription on a pad, but they are locked up now and it only happens if the printer is screwed up for the electronic Rxs. btw - I don't need my SP to cosign my 'scripts...that's odd. maybe a state thing.

If you're referring to my earlier post, I was talking about when I was a student.  I write Schedule II narcs with no cosignature all the time now that I have my own PA license and DEA number.

Archived