Hi all.  I will most likely end up working in a major research hospital once I graduate. I hold a PhD in biomedical science where I studied several cancer types in a basic science/pre-clinical setting. My question is, do you think having a research PhD as a PA (in a medical oncology setting) should bump up my base salary? If so, how much would you think? There's not a lot of info out there about PAs with PhD backgrounds, so it's difficult to get an idea what it is worth (if anything). Thanks!

• Administrator

It should probably count for something, but not all that much unless research is a substantial part of your job description.  If you can get some publication action going, you'd be a shoo-in for a faculty position somewhere, but it doesn't sound like that's where your desires lie.  You'll be trailblazing, so it really amounts to explaining why a Ph.D. PA has more value than a non-Ph.D. PA, and why you should get more money to reflect the increased value to the practice.  Oh, and getting it past admin, of course.

Faculty is something I am certainly considering, but as a new PA grad, I feel like I would need at least a couple years of clinical experience under my belt before I go that route. I don't feel like I necessarily need to do research, but I figured the PhD would carry more weight in a research hospital. I'd say you are probably right in that It will largely depend on my ability to sell the PhD. Negotiating is not a strong point for me, so it should be an interesting process.

Archived