I got this in an email from SEMPA today...

The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) has an open position – Director, Emergency Medicine Practice – for which it is encouraging qualified emergency medicine physician assistants to apply. Below is more information on the position, ACEP and how to apply.

Director, Emergency Medicine Practice

Located in Irving, Texas (part of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex), ACEP is a national medical society representing 32,000 emergency physicians. ACEP is recruiting an energetic, articulate and skilled individual to direct its efforts to support emergency physician members with the clinical and administrative aspects of their practice.  

The director monitors and analyzes the emergency medicine practice environment to make recommendations to College members and staff; develops and maintains contacts and networks in the emergency medicine community as well as the general healthcare community to identify and react to emerging issues and trends that may affect the practice of emergency medicine; represents ACEP and provides consultation to organizations such as Institute of Medicine, The Joint Commission, American Hospital Association, American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, and other medical specialty societies; supports numerous member committees, sections, and task forces that have been assigned specific objectives by the Board of Directors; manages a department and staff of four. The targeted hiring salary is $100k - $130K depending on qualifications. 

Qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a healthcare field, or equivalent related experience; ten years in the clinical and administrative aspects of healthcare with at least 5 years’ experience in direct patient care in emergency medicine as a physician, physician assistant, paramedic or RN. Experience in general management including planning and budgeting, supervision, written and oral communications is also required. Experience in association management and knowledge of or experience with development of clinical policies/standards is highly desired. The entire position description is available on www.acep.org in the “About Us” “Careers at ACEP” section. 

ACEP offers competitive salary, paid insurance plans, flextime, retirement plan and more. Forward your resume and salary history/requirements to: Senior Director, Staff Services, at dbridge@acep.org. ACEP is an equal opportunity employer offering a tobacco-free environment.

We need someone to step into those admin roles we always talk about. :)

I got this in an email from SEMPA today...

We need someone to step into those admin roles we always talk about. :)

I agree someone needs to do it, I just can't imagine an em pa with 10 years experience who would want to....maybe someone who used to be a paramedic and an accountant who ran an ems organization...

Or someone who is ready to transition out of practice but still has a lot to offer. After 20 years, I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you and I are both overqualified for this position, would take a pay cut, and would accrue massive dissatisfaction with our life goals by doing a job like this...

in my leadership course this term we have to do a personal leadership plan. on mine is "stay as far away from doing administrative tasks as possible".

Guest Paula

While I whole-heartedly support a PA to apply and secure a position such as this I agree with EMEDPA.....administration sucks.  The few times I took on administrative responsibilities for a very small staff I got burned big time by the UPPER administration who really never let me do the right thing.  

I will never take on another administrative position.  Plus, the salary offered should start at the $130,000 as the bottom line, not the top. 

I also agree that some PAs may be uniquely qualified for the position....how bout GetMeOuttaThisMess?  Aren't you from Texas?

While I whole-heartedly support a PA to apply and secure a position such as this I agree with EMEDPA.....administration sucks. The few times I took on administrative responsibilities for a very small staff I got burned big time by the UPPER administration who really never let me do the right thing.

I will never take on another administrative position. Plus, the salary offered should start at the $130,000 as the bottom line, not the top.

I also agree that some PAs may be uniquely qualified for the position....how bout GetMeOuttaThisMess? Aren't you from Texas?

Yep. I looked at this last night (been out of town all week dealing with an unexpected family death). The office location is in one of those places where "you can't get there from here". As more time continues to pass I realize that I wish to be less and less involved in direct care so I may need to give this some further consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P.S.  To clarify: Administration sucked for me.  I truly hope a qualified PA applies for the job. 

Absolutely. Different strokes for different folks, but there are definitely those PAs out there that are interested in admin/management/etc.  It's why we need more dual degree programs like PA/MBA or PA/MHA that will help this minority of PAs fall into these roles.  There's a thread on SDN where a couple of people said these dual degrees bring no real value and only produce revenue for the school, but I find that totally short-sighted.

Why do folks assume that this would be a pay cut?  Cost of living in the job area is not high and the posted salary range would be quite competitive for the area, especially if able to escape direct patient care.  Yes, even for a PA.  I know this for a fact because I recently declined an offer at a well known ED in the area that would have been right in the middle of this range, and would've involved direct care and the inherently lousy hours.

Archived