Online Classes-Add to the List!

My experience so far...

UNE: Honestly I didn't like it. Very expensive and difficult. I did Organic 1 and Microbiology.

Organic I got a C so retook it later through Doane. All exams proctored. It was very hard because this was difficult to learn. (I also haven't been in school for 10+ years)

Micro I got a B-. Only the final is proctored which sucks b/c there is a TON of work throughout the semester. I BOMBED the final. (Partially b/c i was in my first trimester and SUPER nauseous during the final). I had an A going into the final and still got a B-. Yes you have to buy a separate lab kit and do labs all through out the class. Time consuming and I had to do experiments at my house (with two littles). Sucks b/c now I am currently in the situation of trying to retake it ASAP to get the grade up. Only reason I am not taking my Micro over thru Doane is the dates dont match up, I have to have it done sooner.

Doane: I took A&P, Orgo I and Orgo II Biochem. Super easy. I enjoyed most of it. Everything is online. Nothing proctored. 

They are both Expensive though. Like $1500+ a class.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of an online, self paced Organic Chem class that I can get into RIGHT NOW? I'm doing everything in my power to avoid taking it through UNE, since I've heard so many horror stories.

I really wanted to take it though NCMC, but I was told their deadline has passed.

PLEASE HELP. 

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking general biology 1 and general chemistry 1 at UNE. Overall, I thought the material was extremely challenging to understand, expensive, and I didn't like the stress of having the proctored exams. However, I am looking for something a bit easier, cheaper and self paced as I am under a great deal of pressure to get the following completed. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. 

I currently need the following:

1. Organic Chemistry 1 w/ lab

2. General Chemistry 2 w/ lab

3. General Biology 2 w/ lab

4. Human Anatomy  w/lab

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/17/2008 at 5:03 PM, Guest jimmy1980 said:

I want to take biochemistry and i just looked at the list that you put up there (by the way it is very helpful) but I cant find one school that offers the class with the lab. I'm also thinking to re-take my A&P classes because it has been 5 years that i took them but again I cant find a school in which i can do the Lab online. Please Help. you you guys recommend any school?

thank you!!

Mass Pharm school has it 

On 5/23/2021 at 4:26 PM, Nkiehl said:

My experience so far...

UNE: Honestly I didn't like it. Very expensive and difficult. I did Organic 1 and Microbiology.

Organic I got a C so retook it later through Doane. All exams proctored. It was very hard because this was difficult to learn. (I also haven't been in school for 10+ years)

Micro I got a B-. Only the final is proctored which sucks b/c there is a TON of work throughout the semester. I BOMBED the final. (Partially b/c i was in my first trimester and SUPER nauseous during the final). I had an A going into the final and still got a B-. Yes you have to buy a separate lab kit and do labs all through out the class. Time consuming and I had to do experiments at my house (with two littles). Sucks b/c now I am currently in the situation of trying to retake it ASAP to get the grade up. Only reason I am not taking my Micro over thru Doane is the dates dont match up, I have to have it done sooner.

Doane: I took A&P, Orgo I and Orgo II Biochem. Super easy. I enjoyed most of it. Everything is online. Nothing proctored. 

They are both Expensive though. Like $1500+ a class.

Doanes courses use video for exams...maybe not proctored perse but they use Lockdown browser. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Looks like no one has mentioned this option in a while so I'm adding to the thread: Portage Learning (online classes but your transcript comes from Geneva College, the associated in-person school, and it is regionally accredited as of this writing). Every PA school I applied to accepted the courses I took:

Solid, would recommend:

A&P I and II with lab

Chem I and II with lab

Statistics (no lab)

Microbiology with lab

Biology I with lab

Outstanding:

Genetics (no lab). This was genuinely a fun and engaging course. Loved it.

Can't speak to yet as I'm enrolled but haven't started:

Medical Terminology (no lab)

If you're looking for prereqs that are more affordable, online and self-scheduled so you can go through them at your own pace, and will check the box for most schools (always confirm with the programs you're applying to!), I'd highly recommend Portage (they're not paying me to say that). Not sure what I would have done otherwise since I needed to take so many classes.

I did take Biochem with lab from Doane because Portage only offered it without lab. It was horrendous (the worst class I've ever taken in my life for various reasons), but I had to do it. Looking at the available options now I might try Portage's Organic Chem with lab instead.

Good luck pre-PAs!