Ban these awful PA nicknames

Surgical PAs are assistants. 

I'm not an assistant in my rural FP position and have one year less training than my GP collaborator who completed a one year internship and said "screw the residency".  

So for me I am not mid-level. 

Paula!

Surgical PAs are PAs.

We first assist as part of our scope.

You are not an MA because you check a BP!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each PA provides a level of service- "services typically provided by physicians" is legislative terminology- which would be offered by the SP in their practice. In some fields the overlap is near 100% (FP and EMED's EM practice are good examples). In others the service lines are more discrete.

EMED's EM: The Gold Standard for PAs, 1st edition, 20xx. .....coming to a bookstore near you.

EMED's EM: The Gold Standard for PAs, 1st edition, 20xx. .....coming to a bookstore near you.

If I write a book in a few years it could be called Dr. Emedpa's guide to domestic and international emergency medicine: Doing it on the fly with duct tape and a prayer for almost three decades.....

I practice emergency medicine much better than the level of a nurse, but not to the level of an residency trained/board certified emergency physician.

So....in a way....yes!

but....probably better than many fp docs who moonlight in ERs....I recently worked a shift at my solo rural job and during a code the fp hospitalist showed up and asked me to run the code because he didn't do them very often.

Guest Paula

Nope, that started earlier than that quote.  Dr. Stead wanted to use experienced nurses and his initial approval from Duke was using them.  The nursing mafia (the ANA) however told him he couldn't use nurses for the PA program.  That is when he went to plan B and started with the military medics.

When the ANA realized that he was going to do it anyway (with medics), they quickly pushed through the first NP program in Colorado. 

The "war" between nursing and medicine dates back to long before Dr. Stead.

Ok, interesting.  Did that statement start the war between PAs and NPs?   

Guest Paula

Paula!

Surgical PAs are PAs.

We first assist as part of our scope.

You are not an MA because you check a BP!

Andersen!  I need a sarcasm app really quick and help that other poster get rich.  

Ok, interesting.  Did that statement start the war between PAs and NPs?   

I don't think so.  The "cold war" between PAs and NPs, in my opinion, stems from two things. 

First, we practice medicine and they claim to practice nursing (which is crap...why is it "nursing" if a NP puts in a chest tube but "medicine" if I do it).  In the early 60's America started it's "equality for everyone" movement which has resulted in the DEMAND that EVERYONE is equal.  Children's sports teams no longer keep score, because that would result in one team being better than the other team.  Likewise, the nursing mafia DEMANDS that nurses are equal to physicians.  You can get this all the time over at SDN...how the wonderful nurse stopped that terminably stupid physician from killing their patients....therefore nurses must be "equal" to physicians.  Since we are lumped in with physicians (medicine vs nursing), the nurses are at war with us.  

Second is the competition for jobs.  PAs and NPs are both mid-levels (standing by for spitballs for mentioning that term!!!), therefore we often compete for the same mid-level jobs (Diazepam 10mg IM for those having seizures for TWO mentions of the term mid-level).  This, in conjunction with the first reason, exacerbates the cold war.

I practice emergency medicine much better than the level of a nurse, but not to the level of an residency trained/board certified emergency physician.

So....in a way....yes!

You don't practice EM "better than a nurse"; RNs don't practice EM. You are not in the same discipline. You ARE in the same discipline as a doc.

You dx and tx a DVT, URI, NSTEMI, nasal FBO etc the same way as a doc. Not sure why you feel it is a different level.

Again, ask a blinded observer to follow 10 EM PAs and 10 EM docs and tell the difference. They won't be able to.

Analogies always contain flaws, but what about:

Just because some guy has a tool in his toolbox that you do not have (ie - the multi-allen wrench you use twice a decade) does not mean that you are less proficient using the hammer which you both possess.

I have paypal.

After following this thread, night after painful night, I realize we have, at least, solved one problem which is; what to call a PA. The whole name change issue has now been solved. "Hello, I am Mr B your mid-level. I went to mid-level school so I could get trained kind of like a nurse practitioner. They used to call us PAs, a term you may be familiar with, but we all felt more comfortable with the mid-level title since, after all, we aren't real doctors anyway and we didn't want any of our patients to confuse the level of care we provide with the level of care they get from a real doctor. Do you have any questions?"

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived