New Grad with Dream Job offer. Please Help

Hello!

I am a new grad looking for work in Eastern Kentucky. After a rotation with a surgeon, I was offered a job this December and am now graduating. He is the only practicing surgeon in our county and is looking to hire a midlevel to help lighten the load- he and staff have never had a PA/NP before. He sees my first year or two as a learning experience and expects to work closely with me; I will have 3 days a week in the clinic and 2 surgery days. He said he expects to treat me as a resident during this time. He would like to split call between us equally. A large company owns our hospital and has extended me this offer

Salaried position at $38.61/hr (around 80,300 annual)

No incentives for taking call

Option to pay into dental, vision and health insurance (around $80 total from what I can see)

No ear marked CME (HR said I have to ask my clinical manager and see how much they will contribute)

PTO includes holidays, but they have not provided more info this

401(k) with matching for first 1% and match half of next 5%

* no contract has been offered- HR said they only contract "providers" not midlevels

No word on liability or licensing fees

I was hoping to recieve some help from this awesome community on how to proceed. I LOVE this office and the hospital staff and genuinely want to take the offer, but I also want to be fairly compensated for my work. During my rotation I was working around 65 hrs/week so this offer seems a little low if I am to continue working in a similar fashion. All of my classmates have been recieving contracts, it seems a little odd to me not to- I feel really uncomfortable working without that safety net. Any words of wisdom or advice on how to make this work would be excellent.

OMG

first off you need to NEVER describe yourself as a midlevel unless you want midlevel pay

I will not go into specifics, but this is NOT a dream job

likely long hours, for a pretty bad compensation package.....

He is looking for CHEAP labor, license and DEA #'s.....

do others want to chime in??

Thanks so much for your prompt reply ventana! I agree that the offer is not ideal, I was merely referring to that fact that I love the staff, procedures, and patient population- that's the dream :) Do you have any suggestions about negotiating for a more fair compensation? What would you suggest as a counter offer? Is it normal for PAs in this field to not have contracts?

Just counter everything.

It's best if you know the market in your area.

However, even if you don't, you can get close,

for example

100 k yr

3000 cme

4 wks vac

1 week sick

1 week cme time

pay all licenses

match 401k to 6 %

malpractice

call pay

so and and so on

if you telegraph, meaning to ask for more than you expect,  then you can meet in the middle, ie, they offer 80k, you counter 100, you both settle for 90

grow a big ol pair of huevos, negotiate fiercely and don't be afraid to walk.

good luck

Only "providers" eh....... that is even worse than seeing physician's assistant on a job ad.

This offer seems pretty standard from what I have seen out of Kentucky, to be honest. Even generous. I would negotiate for sure, but Kentucky is way behind the curve. Your best bet would be to move just about anywhere. May be a KY local would have better input, as I am just going off a couple of ancetdotes from this forum.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Archived