CASPA 2014-2015/Class of 2017

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, my name is Lydia. I will also be at the interview on July 15th! :) I booked my hotel already. I'm just staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Bethlehem. It looks like it's only ten minutes away from campus. I'm very excited for the interview! Best of luck!  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey those of you that received responses, when did you guys get verified by CASPA?

May 13: CASPA verified, application sent to DeSales

May 19: DeSales emailed confirmation of receipt of application

June 5: Interview invitation arrived via email

July 15: Interview date

July 18: Decision via phone call from Dr Stuart

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

DeSales Pros and Cons

Hey guys,
The first day of interviews is over, and many of us have taken a tour of the facility.  While memories are still fresh for those who interviewed yesterday, I’m interested in hearing what you all think of the program.  I’ve constructed a Pro and Con list for the program, but I’d love to hear other insights into what people thought were strengths and weaknesses or any other relevant info to making a decision.  Hopefully this will be helpful for whomever is accepted in the coming months...

PRO

100% PANCE pass rate since 2002 - "Best in Nation”  (Same is true of PACKRAT)

Unbelievably hi-tech campus facilities (multiple patient simulators (including a woman that gives birth to a newborn), video recordings of all lectures available, e-books for everyone)

Simulators: these deserve a line of their own.  You just have to see the facility.  

Beautiful new building (including gross anatomy lab, complete with cadaver dissection) to accommodate the larger class size

Extensive clinical network (two massive hospitals and 900+ PA preceptors) means ALL 2nd year rotations are within 1.5 hours of campus

Elective rotations available (Peru, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, etc)
Opportunity to work at the DeSales Free Clinic in Allentown 

Clinical experience begins first year: every single Friday, 1st year students shadow a different PA.  Huge plus for anyone unsure of what specialty you might be interested and just a huge plus in general.  (Clinical training at this school is the biggest pro at this school, in my opinion)

CON

Area: campus is literally in the middle of nowhere.  Closest town/city is Allentown, which, as far as I can tell, is a little rough around the edges...

Incoming cohorts seem to have slightly less HCE than those in other PA schools (500 hour requirement and accept many straight out of DeSales undergrad) meaning younger, less-experienced students.  This would be a Pro for a younger applicant, but I’m not sure it’s the best thing for the profession.  

Free Clinic treats only homeless men, not women.  

The program director that essentially built this program left a few years ago, right as they were moving into the new building and preparing to double the class size.  I have a slight concern that by doubling the class (from 40 to 80) over just a couple years may compromise learning outcomes and PANCE results over the next couple of years.  Speculation; hard to know until a little time goes by.  

For applicants who don’t associate as Catholic, all the crosses and pictures of Bishops are a bit intense.  I don’t imagine the religious affiliation affects the science curriculum much, but a current student did admit the “Ethics” class is largely Catholic ethics.  Not sure how I feel about this.  

What was your impression? 

Congrats to all who got accepted already! I have an interview on August 5th I'm really excited. I hear great things about the program. I read that the program only interviews around 120 students and accepts 80 or so.. I like those chances

If you don't mind me asking, when did you verify? I just did a couple of days ago and was wondering if you could tell me how long you had to wait to hear back?  Everyone else on this thread seemed to have applied super early and I was a bit late.

Congrats to all who got accepted already! I have an interview on August 5th I'm really excited. I hear great things about the program. I read that the program only interviews around 120 students and accepts 80 or so.. I like those chances

Getting the interview is the biggest thing we can do to increase the odds of acceptance.  Going from 4% odds to 65% is huge!  

If you don't mind me asking, when did you verify? I just did a couple of days ago and was wondering if you could tell me how long you had to wait to hear back?  Everyone else on this thread seemed to have applied super early and I was a bit late.

Click back one page.  A few of us posted all our dates for y'all.  Good luck!

Yeah my app was verified on May 7th.. They emailed me on June 24th offering an interview. Just be patient, hopefully you hear back soon!

Archived