Interviews For This Cycle!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wilsonct

So I understand the excitement regarding getting interviews.  Wanting to be part of a very competitive profession can do that. Yet it is not clear why you, any of you, even applied to this program.  I understand costs / geography, etc etc - but did anyone look at their website?? They had a 42% first time pass rate. That is last out of 154 PA programs. You want to spend $80,000 and have a 42% chance of passing boards?

They have a Naturopath teaching Pathophysiology & Physiology. Never seen an allopathic patient ever. The Clinical Director just left. They are advertising for a replacement. Who will apply? What will happen to rotation sites? There is only 1 PA faculty academically qualified to teach at a masters level. There are Chiropractors teaching clinical anatomy - how do they do that? PA's need allopathic medicine - not chiropractic.

It is all true - and verifiable. All I suggest is if you chose to go the interview - ask the tough questions.

That's more important than what three things are always in your refrigerator or what superhero would you be.  (you'll understand that last sentence if you go)

In regards to WilsonCTs post and to everybody that is applying to UB - 

I am a current student there, and can vouch for the strength and legitimacy of the program. While the PANCE rates from the first year's class were not great (in their FIRST year as a program), the subsequent years' pass rates will be MUCH higher. We just had 2 students from our class of 2014 get residencies at Johns Hopkins and Yale (ask our director at your interviews!), and many others have been offered jobs. The class of 2013 had no problem finding jobs as well. Our professors are great; the ND that teaches our pathophysiology and physiology classes has one of the strongest science backgrounds I have ever come across (again, at your interviews, find out more) and there is absolutely no worry from my class about our future rotation sites (I am part of the class of 2016). And about our other professors...they are all excellent. I honestly have no idea how you can comment on any professor without being a student there.

Our PA program also beat Yale and Quinnipiac in the CONNAPA medical challenge bowl this year, and went on to the national competition.

As for the interview questions - who cares? Why ask the same conventional interview questions when you have a person's entire life achievements, grades, schooling, jobs, etc. on paper already. They get to know the interviewee as an individual, not as a "PANCE applicant". So yes, be prepared to answer a couple silly questions. My class is a diverse, intelligent group of individuals, just like all of you applying. Judge the program for yourself after your interview, and please don't listen to someone who seems to sound bitter; do not be hindered by one person's words. If you have any questions, message me or ask them at the interview. I will gladly provide you with my email to answer anything you'd want answered. A few students from our class will be at every interview to answer your questions also, including myself. 

To all those applying or preparing to interview, good luck!

• Upvote 5

Guest wilsonct

Heh - I totally agree with CJ1800. Can not take one persons view. But then can you take the word of just one person on the other side either??

Hmmmm --

Go; ask questions. Interviews should be a 2 way process. If accepted, especially to more than one school, you will have a huge decision. I am sure the 8 people who passed their boards found jobs. And I am not sure what reassurance it would give me when someone in the 2016 class tells me "the subsequent years' pass rates will be MUCH higher".  And I suspect the ND has a good science background; but still has never taken care of a patient.

Medscape Article: Naturopathy, or naturopathic medicine, is a form of alternative medicine based on a belief in vitalism, which posits that a special energy called "vital energy" or "vital force" guides bodily processes such as metabolism, reproduction, growth, and adaptation. Naturopathy favors a holistic approach with non-invasive treatment and generally avoids the use of surgery and drugs. Practitioners of naturopathy often prefer methods of treatment that are not compatible with evidence-based medicine, and in doing so, reject the tenets of biomedicine and modern science. Naturopathic medicine is replete with pseudoscientific, ineffective, unethical, and possibly dangerous practices.

Atwood, Kimball C., IV (2003). "Naturopathy: A critical appraisal". Medscape General Medicine 5 (4): 39

Good luck to everyone - wherever you end up...

Guest wilsonct

Insight? Fact is universities start PA programs for the money it brings. There are limited rotations, limited qualified faculty - and programs like this are the result. They take your $$ - leave you hanging - and assume none of the risk.  Find a program that has a reasonable pass rate, (pass rate nationally, first time takers 2013 was 94% - this school had 42% - not making these numbers up- they are all easily verified) and some qualified faculty with a history. Apply there.

Guest wilsonct

Not sure if you realize, or maybe you do, your tone is a little belligerent.

I don't know what answer you are looking for. My experience as any type of student is neither on topic nor relevant. The answer for this thread that is relevant is: would anyone, given the information laid out before them, apply to this program? It is not flattering information, but factual.  As I said to CJ1800, don't take me at my word - if someone applies and is offered an interview, go, ask questions and decide yourselves. As an adult and a PA-wannabes you all have decisions to make - and have to live with them.  I'd be interested is hearing what you decide.