AFPPA Collaboration Proposal

Ironic that you were feeling accused of trying to change my name (title)!?!?

I understand your explanation.

My sentiments towards the board and house on the issue are actually reflected in what you just said.

Perhaps the BOD/HOD are used to taking the passive approach, and following the lead of others. I fault them for lacking the vision and guts to do what so many PAs have felt was accurate and appropriate (get rid of assistant) in 2012. They had to wait for someone to take the lead on the issue (the VA). It still is unfathomable to me that they were so harsh to reject in the face of good support, none of which has changed in the past 2 yrs.

I feel like we had

• a great roster of advocate/supportive leaders (the list of 100)
  • a phenomenal write in petition of >6000 PAs to show the national climate on the issue
  • a well crafted argument from PAFT, eloquent in its own right

It is unfortunate that the HOD could not have taken this information and run with it, and be for PAs what the AANP is for NPs. Leaders, not followers. Perhaps this is just the way they work. Personally I find it diasappointing; even moreso given the vitriol and dismissal we got from so many state and national academy insiders during those days (not even 2-3 yrs ago).

I'm going to be forward looking on this but those broken bonds between the AAPA and so many PAs who feel disregarded are going to be tough to rebuild.

Guest Paula

There is something fishy and potentially serious about this.  I recently contracted with Group Health. They decided, mid-stream that they were no longer credentialling PAs but would credential NPs. As I called and talked to them about it, they said, their words, "A Patient would not go to a practice just to see the PA. They would go there to see the MD, DO or NP.  The PA works in helping the other providers."  I was quite upset and saw this as a serious matter and argued with them (I've been arguing with Group Health for three years).  I did turn this over to Michael Powe the insurance Guru at AAPA.  I never heard back and that was in early March.

I am keeping track of our conversation and have told her to make sure AAPA and her state organization address the issue.  She has contacted the Idaho PA chapter and is waiting for a response.  If AAPA does not respond I plan on taking this to the new AAPA advocacy committee of whom Dave Mittman is now a member.  I will also be making AAPA aware that a lack of response on their part is not acceptable.  But first need to get all the facts and do due diligence.  I will attempt to keep you all posted for anyone who is interested.  

• 2 months later...
Guest Paula

I am unable to get anymore feedback regarding the Idaho PA so am at a loss how to proceed. However I just read an article on Clinician1 about the Assistant Physician in MO and that now Michigan is considering it. MICHIGAN had a failed bill to make PAs collaborative providers along with failure to give us complete independent prescribing. If Michigan legalized the AP profession we are all in trouble, especially those of us in primary care. The article was written by Arthur Caplan from NYU Langone and he said a partially trained physician is better than no care at all (paraphrased). Folks this is not good for us. Another statement said med students will chose to Not apply for a residency and go directly to work in a rural area, then get their experience and take their step 3 after that or have the one year post med school as an AP be their generalist externship. The GP is born again, which is what I am technically speaking with my education and 10 years OTJ perpetual residency. What do we do next?

I am unable to get anymore feedback regarding the Idaho PA so am at a loss how to proceed. However I just read an article on Clinician1 about the Assistant Physician in MO and that now Michigan is considering it. MICHIGAN had a failed bill to make PAs collaborative providers along with failure to give us complete independent prescribing. If Michigan legalized the AP profession we are all in trouble, especially those of us in primary care. The article was written by Arthur Caplan from NYU Langone and he said a partially trained physician is better than no care at all (paraphrased). Folks this is not good for us. Another statement said med students will chose to Not apply for a residency and go directly to work in a rural area, then get their experience and take their step 3 after that or have the one year post med school as an AP be their generalist externship. The GP is born again, which is what I am technically speaking with my education and 10 years OTJ perpetual residency. What do we do next?

lobby for a PA-->DNP program....

seriously AAPA and NCCPA and every other PA agency needs to get out ahead of this

collaboration

unlink us from the docs license......  direct bill

Heck I still can not sign a death cert, or order VNA services.....

Archived