New PA to DO Bridge Programs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will doing a residency establish any respect, or will it just increase my job opportunities?

Both as E stated. However, keep in mind that some attending would not give a crap because you're just a PA or an assistant. Furthermore, you would still have to earn the respect. It also depend on how you put in studying during and after residency/practicing as a PA.

Which specialties do PAs get the most disrespect in? I have seen young female PAs get severely disrespected in the ED by nurses but they were overall liked by the physicians.

Your words " Its hard to find straight answers for questions like this!"

This seems to be a common thread, I've seen allot of posts about disrespect from nurses and even administrative staff! Where do PA's stand compared to nurses in the hierarchy?

depends who you ask....

if you ask medical practitioners it goes like this: MD/DO>PA/NP>RN>techs, etc

if you ask nursing boards it goes like this: Nurses & NPs> everyone else

A lot of people are dissatisfied with being a PA but don't do anything about it other than continue to suffer and mope. The people with some dissatisfaction of the profession should be the main folks driving change. We don't necessarily need to jump ship if we can make the profession into what we want it to be.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

^^^ Agree with this statement.

I might get a lot of disagreement with this statement...

From my personal observations, during my short 4+ year career as a PA, many (not all) PAs I have interacted with seem content being an "assistant", see it as a job not a career, don't support PA organizations... this makes me very concerned for the profession when ridiculous laws such as Missouri Senate Bill 716 are passed and NPs support legislation/regulations to limit us...

Disclaimer: I also would have gone to med school earlier in my life...

depends who you ask....

if you ask medical practitioners it goes like this: MD/DO>PA/NP>RN>techs, etc

if you ask nursing boards it goes like this: Nurses & NPs> everyone else

Geez, I was sorta restricted to the house today, and spent some time reviewing the forum.

I went to say "like" to this post..

And was rejected.

Apparently I " exceeded the number of likes" allotted to me per 24 hours...

SO PLEASE, nobody post anything pithy, cutting, biting, or just plain unusually sensible until midnight... Else you'll never know that you made me think, smile, nod my head in agreement, or generally be enheartened by your posting.

I think that wanting something is not the same as wanting something enough to make the required sacrifices.

For me, I like being a PA. I'm fortunate that I work in a state and a facility with incredible PA support, wide scope of practice, and physicians who treat us as colleagues, not assistants.

But if I had a magic wand that suddenly granted me the knowledge and title of MD, sure, I'd go for it. The main reason being to logistics of dependent licensure and the ease of working abroad. Another reason would be that I'm a bit sick of nobody understanding what the heck it is I do for a living!

However, at this stage in my life, medical school or even a bridge (the bridge program that exists is really not interesting for me) is just not worth it for me. Going from earning six figures to having no income for 3-4 years and then having crappy income and crazy hours during a residency just wouldn't work for me. I'd have to sell my big house and get a smaller place, possibly move to another town or state, and being in my 40's, wouldn't start making decent money again until age 50-something, and would have a huge debt burden.

All these obstacles are certainly not impossible to overcome. But for me, the reward is not worth the price. Because I'm happy being a PA and while being an MD could be more freeing, it doesn't matter to me that much.

Sort of like losing weight. Would I love it if I woke up tomorrow 5 pounds lighter? Sure. But is it important enough to put down my burger tonight? Nope.

I think that wanting something is not the same as wanting something enough to make the required sacrifices.

For me, I like being a PA. I'm fortunate that I work in a state and a facility with incredible PA support, wide scope of practice, and physicians who treat us as colleagues, not assistants.

But if I had a magic wand that suddenly granted me the knowledge and title of MD, sure, I'd go for it. The main reason being to logistics of dependent licensure and the ease of working abroad. Another reason would be that I'm a bit sick of nobody understanding what the heck it is I do for a living!

However, at this stage in my life, medical school or even a bridge (the bridge program that exists is really not interesting for me) is just not worth it for me. Going from earning six figures to having no income for 3-4 years and then having crappy income and crazy hours during a residency just wouldn't work for me. I'd have to sell my big house and get a smaller place, possibly move to another town or state, and being in my 40's, wouldn't start making decent money again until age 50-something, and would have a huge debt burden.

All these obstacles are certainly not impossible to overcome. But for me, the reward is not worth the price. Because I'm happy being a PA and while being an MD could be more freeing, it doesn't matter to me that much.

Sort of like losing weight. Would I love it if I woke up tomorrow 5 pounds lighter? Sure. But is it important enough to put down my burger tonight? Nope.

I've tossed it around as well. In fact was wishing for the DO school by me to open up a bridge program, but like you, I realistically can't commit to med school at this stage in my, and my family's lives. Even professionally, I am at a good spot. Sure I hate explaining what I am but for the most part, my patients are great. My practice is growing and I have the best SP a PA could ever ask for. The limitations of our licenses will hopefully one day be erased or at least, improved but right now, being a PA is very satisfying.

(Wait, did I just post something positive...lol)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk.

Just finished my last official LECOM event before graduation Sunday.

I asked Dr Kauffman yesterday whether he knew of any other schools planning to emulate us. None. Nada. Zilch. So if there are programs in the wings, they're doing it without consulting us at all.

Next month's Academic Medicine journal will have an article on us and our outcomes. I'm looking forward to reading it and will post a link when I find it.

Just finished my last official LECOM event before graduation Sunday.

I asked Dr Kauffman yesterday whether he knew of any other schools planning to emulate us. None. Nada. Zilch. So if there are programs in the wings, they're doing it without consulting us at all.

Next month's Academic Medicine journal will have an article on us and our outcomes. I'm looking forward to reading it and will post a link when I find it.

edbwOUR.gifKeep us posted with your progress as well and good luck (and your hubby)!

Archived