New PA to DO Bridge Programs

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the power to those with the drive/energy to do the bridge. I looked over the req/costs last night. If I were 10yrs younger then yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...or childless today.....not fair to my almost teenagers to be absent for the next 7 years...

I'm in the same boat of not being able to swing the bridge program, albeit the details are different. Under 30yrs old but married and with very young kiddos. I went through with the whole application process/interview and got accepted for this upcoming fall. And after all of that I've decided not to do it. For myself personally, I felt I'd be giving up too much for not enough in return. So as a PA, I, and we, muddle on....

^ You will regret your decision 10-15 years into practice as a PA.

Same can be said if he did the bridge and is later dissatisfied with life as a physician and the additional six years spent away from his family getting there.

There are no guarantees in life.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I stand by my statement. You will regret your decision 10-15 yrs in. I'm 8 yrs out and still regret not going MD or DO.

What is your main source/point of dissatisfaction with your career as a PA?

A lot of people are dissatisfied with being a PA but don't do anything about it other than continue to suffer and mope. The people with some dissatisfaction of the profession should be the main folks driving change. We don't necessarily need to jump ship if we can make the profession into what we want it to be.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A lot of people are dissatisfied with being a PA but don't do anything about it other than continue to suffer and mope. The people with some dissatisfaction of the profession should be the main folks driving change. We don't necessarily need to jump ship if we can make the profession into what we want it to be.

I take a lot away from people like EMED, who states that he had to change EM jobs every few years for over a decade to find the appropriate fit of practice.

I know people will always say "oh well, I can't move or change jobs for xyz reasons..." But if there is a better opportunity for growth or practice or pay as a PA, I'm gonna do my damndest to get there. It's all about what one is willing to trade. From what I've already seen, it looks like a PA can go pretty far if they work for it.

I take a lot away from people like EMED, who states that he had to change EM jobs every few years for over a decade to find the appropriate fit of practice.

I know people will always say "oh well, I can't move or change jobs for xyz reasons..." But if there is a better opportunity for growth or practice or pay as a PA, I'm gonna do my damndest to get there. It's all about what one is willing to trade. From what I've already seen, it looks like a PA can go pretty far if they work for it.

Yep, the problem is the vast majority of PAs don't care or at least not enough to do anything about it. They're happy to be assistants for 90k/year while they continue to wonder if they should have gone to med school.

And just for the record I'm not referring to anyone in this thread. I don't know how much everyone is involved in the profession.

Yep, the problem is the vast majority of PAs don't care or at least not enough to do anything about it. They're happy to be assistants for 90k/year while they continue to wonder if they should have gone to med school.

And just for the record I'm not referring to anyone in this thread. I don't know how much everyone is involved in the profession.

I thought people were supposed to go to PA school because they want to be a PA, not to be a MD or DO?  I'm going to PA school because I want to be a PA.  It was tough to get into PA school and I could've spent the same energy trying to get into medical school but I chose PA.  I hope I don't have a bunch of medical school wannabes in my class this fall :/

Also, a Master's degree that pays $90K isn't bad at all.  I plan on trying to earn more and will try to grow in the profession.

You bring up a good point. What are the main dissatisfying factors for PA's? Its hard to find straight answers for questions like this!  

lack of respect from other medical professionals and the general public

lack of an adequate scope of practice at many facilities due to arbitrary rules that say "PAs don't do X".

Would you say this has been part of your experience as an emergency medicine PA? 

I know you mentioned that you changed jobs every few years to find the right fit. But is this only related to the scope of practice, or are there other factors that become annoying as well over time?

My own primary interest is emergency medicine. I'm even thinking about possibly doing an ER residency to hone my skills right off the bat. I don't want to say that hearing these facts is completely discouraging. But, it does make you seriously consider shooting for something higher while there is time!

Archived