Pay Info

I bring in about $10,000 per week and get paid $2100  less than 40 hours per week.  I see about 125 patients with an approximate reimbursement of $85 per pt. on average.  Basically (21%).  Doesn't seem like fair number .  Any thoughts?

I bring in about $10,000 per week and get paid $2100  less than 40 hours per week.  I see about 125 patients with an approximate reimbursement of $85 per pt. on average.  Basically (21%).  Doesn't seem like fair number .  Any thoughts?

Impossible to know based on the information. Average FP overhead is around 65% of collections. Add in another 4% for payroll taxes and thats 70% right off the top. Is the $85 Medicare average? Any other benefits or expenses? 

Another way to look at it is $2100 x 52 weeks = $109k which puts you above the 75th percentile for family practice. So fair depends on the reference point. 

a few years ago I read an article (sorry can find it again)

that said MD/DO are paid about 54% of collections while PA are paid about 38% of collections

It is about marketing yourself to the practice and demanding a raise - make sure your numbers are right and not just guesses

then good luck because you will be taking money away from the practice (which they do not like) and hence you might have to leave to get a new job

I was generating about 280k and getting paid 80k - had typical bennies (nothing great but okay) and had full family health insurance paid for me - I left and now work for myself as they did not want to pay any more or make a profit share move - I was seeing 30 pts a day in 3 x 10 (usually closer to 11hr) days.  They hired a new grad NP who is likely only seeing about 15 per day - and I suspect is making more then I was - so all in all  they probably lost about 100-150k on switching me for a new NP.......    not the best $$$ decision for them, but it was their decision(and I had already started my own practice as I was tired of it all)

coloradopa,  Sorry, my mathis a little rusty even with a calculator!!!!!!!  I make $55/hour and am working about 32 hours per week  ($1760).  My point was that I bring in between 400 and 500,000 per year based on the average of $85 which is an overall average.  Benefits are 1 week vacation for 5 years then 2 weeks!  malpractice, 3 days CME reimbursement.  No health coverage (I have my own), no 401K or anything like it.  Reimbursed for licence DEA that's it.  Any memberships are up to me.

All profits go back into the practice to make it grow hence no money for raises, etc. but we did just hire 2 NPs and an MD.  For that we have money.  Boss states she does not take a salary.

Any thoughts on this?

eN5XIiJ.png

I just looked and saw that Delta Healthcare Providers are a healthcare staffing industry. So, if I were you I would take this data with a grain of salt. Now as far as more reliable sources maybe you should look at places like Forbes. They mention Physician Assistants are No. 1 Best Master's Degree For Jobs.

I keep hearing that physician’s assistant jobs are among the top-rated, so I was intrigued that the position only  rates at No. 12 on CareerCast’s list. P.A.s, as they’re called, make a good median salary of $91,000, their field is expected to grow by 30% between 2010 and 2020 and they only need to study for two or three years to become licensed, thus avoiding the mountain of debt most M.D.s face. But Lee points out that the job can be high-stress, especially as the number of patients rises and the number of M.D.s stagnates. “There is more demand for physicians, but fewer physicians,” he says. “P.A.s take on the responsibility and the stress without the pay and the title.” Best Jobs In Health Care In 2014

The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts an astounding 38.4 percent employment growth in this profession between 2012 and 2022. To frame this rapid increase another way, the BLS expects an industry currently boasting 86,700 physicians assistants to add 33,300 new positions by decade’s end. A trio of factors spurring this growth include heightened demand for health care services from the country’s swelling aging population, increased prevalence of chronic diseases and a physician shortage that has become more serious in recent years. Couple the growth projection with a razor-thin 1.2 percent unemployment rate – one of the lowest on our Best Jobs of 2014 list – and the job outlook for physician assistants is quite strong. ...

Physician assistants raked in a median annual salary of $90,930 in 2012, according to the BLS. The top-earning 10 percent in the profession made approximately $124,770, while the lowest 10 percent of the pay spectrum brought in about $62,430. As one might expect, doctors’ offices, general medical and surgical facilities, and outpatient care centers employed the most physician assistants in 2012. Professionals working in speciality hospitals and home health care services were the best compensated. US News &World Report

I produce about $300,000 per year and get paid in the mid-70's. 

coloradopa,  Sorry, my mathis a little rusty even with a calculator!!!!!!!  I make $55/hour and am working about 32 hours per week  ($1760).  My point was that I bring in between 400 and 500,000 per year based on the average of $85 which is an overall average.  Benefits are 1 week vacation for 5 years then 2 weeks!  malpractice, 3 days CME reimbursement.  No health coverage (I have my own), no 401K or anything like it.  Reimbursed for licence DEA that's it.  Any memberships are up to me.

All profits go back into the practice to make it grow hence no money for raises, etc. but we did just hire 2 NPs and an MD.  For that we have money.  Boss states she does not take a salary.

That's awful but does not surprise me. Unless you work for yourself, you are producing profit for the company. I make ~$300k a year for my employer and get about $37/hour, with average benefits. No 401k, 3 weeks vacation, $1000 CME, and health insurance is about 75% paid by my employer.

Our practice is under new ownership so we are supposedly going to get bumped up into a more competitive range, but we'll see. I also work in a state that has a really tight job market.

At my per diem job, I make around $150-185 and hour, but there is a lot of charting to do at home so it probably works out to around $75-90 per hour. Not bad though.

I agree that making a profit for the "company" is what all of us are supposed to do and being in the top 25% for pay is relative to what one does isn't it or it should be.  My gross is about $88,000 at $55 per hour for about 32 hours but I produce revenue close to $500,000.  Also told there will be no raises for 2-3 years.  Did I mention when working 12-8 there are no breaks!  That's right, none.  You might ask why stay?  I am looking else where.  I am in Houston, TX.

• 2 months later...

coloradopa, Sorry, my mathis a little rusty even with a calculator!!!!!!! I make $55/hour and am working about 32 hours per week ($1760). My point was that I bring in between 400 and 500,000 per year based on the average of $85 which is an overall average. Benefits are 1 week vacation for 5 years then 2 weeks! malpractice, 3 days CME reimbursement. No health coverage (I have my own), no 401K or anything like it. Reimbursed for licence DEA that's it. Any memberships are up to me.

All profits go back into the practice to make it grow hence no money for raises, etc. but we did just hire 2 NPs and an MD. For that we have money. Boss states she does not take a salary.

1 week vacation for 5 years? Do they think you are not human? Your job sounds like a terrible choice! What state are you in?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived