Reapplicant 2014

I will be applying to MEDEX for not 1st, not the 2nd, but the 3rd time... at least I'm determined. Ha!

Some basic info about me/application:

- 3 years working as a wildland firefighter

- 5 years working full time in healthcare as CNA, then ER tech, then ER/Hospital phlebotomist.

- Last year I decided to change it up after not getting in again, and I am currently a medical scribe for a physician in an asthma, allergy, and immunology clinic (where 2 PA's also work).

- 150 hours of volunteer work in medical clinic for underserved and housing projects.

- shadowed 7 different PA's in various specialties last spring.

- did ok on the GRE (average), I will likely be retaking this over summer.

I have a BA in BioAnth and here's where is gets ugly:

- My undergrad cumulative GPA is 2.8 (yikes) and science GPA was 2.65 (double yikes). My last 90 credit GPA is 3.2...

However, I have re-taken 4 science classes over the past year and have slowly raised my GPA to a more respectable level (which is almost impossible with so many credits).

I am currently retaking a chem class and stats and hoping to also take 2-3 sceince classes this summer. If I am able to maintain A's I should be able to raise my overall and science GPA significantly. Does anyone have any recommendation for how to go about this (what classes-? I hate to take chem 101, but am seriously considering it as I am running out of community college science classes).

I guess like most other reapplicants I am wondering if anyone has specific ideas re what to focus on, or has any words of wisdom. I am very familiar w/ what MEDEX is looking for, although I have been unable to pique their interest at all.

I am bound and determined to be a part of the PA feild, despite the fact that I have yet to even get an interview.... yeah. It's been a difficult road. As I'm sure many of you can relate to.

Hello! I'm not an expert or anything, but I am wondering if you've considered what is going into your personal statements and supplemental essays. I had a *lower*, although still meeting the minimum requirement, GPA when I applied, and I think a lot of my acceptance had to do with my essays (which didn't really address my lower GPA but rather, I let my true passion for my current job and healthcare as a career shine through). Like I said, not an expert by any means, but if you need an impartial reader, you can certainly count on me. It might take me awhile (since I'm in online A&P now and beginning my relocation to Seattle), but I can offer some feedback. Only if you're interested. Best of luck either way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep working at it! I agree with Ktcan wholeheartedly. I had a decent GPA but it wasn't stellar. I also believe that my acceptance was aided by my essays. They can be a very powerful tool to get across your passion for medicine and why you want to become a PA. Your essays are what get you an interview. Spend a lot of time on them and I would be happy to look it over for you and give any input I can. I am not an English major or anything but I am willing to help. It sounds like your doing a good job of staying busy and actively trying to improve your application which is something they definitely want to see. Keep your chin up and knocking it out one day at a time!

What are the four classes you took this last year?  You say you're taking a chem class now, so I wouldn't take 101, which I'm guessing would be a lower level than the one you're currently taking.  The advice above from both ktcan & EMSGuy is good & you should definitely follow it.  Also, make sure you're getting the recommendations that you need, & that they are actually giving you good references.  A LOR that is too short or poorly written can hurt your chances.  And, I know you want MEDEX, but they may take you more seriously as an applicant if they see that you've applied to multiple schools.  You already have a four year degree & qualify to attend many other schools, so use the shotgun approach.  In the end it is better to have to choose between a few schools that accepted you than wonder why the one & only school you keep applying to won't give you the time of day.  Also, attend the info sessions - the reapplicant sessions if you can, otherwise a regular one.

Thank you for the feedback!

I would greatly appreciate if you both (ktcan10 and EMSGuy1982) could take a look at the essays I submitted during LAST year's app cycle. I have had people read/edit them, but this could be what is holding me back.

Facing yet another re-write is daunting... although I feel like I've learned a significant amount about myself throughout this process and will approach the essay in a new light this application cycle. Let me know how to go about this... I can easily copy/paste them into private messages on this forum or message me your email and we can go that route. 

ToppDogg: I took human anatomy, 300 level Microbio, Cell Biology (200 level),  Statistics, and Chemistry 163 (3rd in general sequence).

Any suggestions for others-? I am thinking about Biochem this fall and possibly a few 100 level online courses over the summer (although again am unsure if this will just come across as 'the easy road' to raising GPA).

I think my references were solid, but this is the awkard part of not seeing what they've submitted isn't it??. One was from an MD I have worked with in ED for 5 yrs (and am close personal friends with), and 2 from PA's. One PA gave me copy and it was short, but pretty candid- ?. This June we will be moving to the Tri-Cities area and I will be starting a new job (sigh). I know that the MD I currently scribe for will write me an excellent letter, but getting 2 more that are personal may be difficult...

Also- I applied to 8 schools across the U.S. in 2012 and 5 schools in 2013. With such a low science and cumulative GPA I found that I actually didn't meet the minimun requirements of many schools (hence the focus on raising it asap so that I can apply to more programs). I haven't even had 1 single interview.... which is incredibly disheartening.

If there are any programs that you are privy too that cater to more experience vs GPA- ?

And if any of you have connections in Yakima/Richland/Tri Cities areas that would be open for volunteer or shadowing please let me know.

Thanks again for the input!!! very appreciated.

Thank you for the feedback!

I would greatly appreciate if you both (ktcan10 and EMSGuy1982) could take a look at the essays I submitted during LAST year's app cycle. I have had people read/edit them, but this could be what is holding me back.

Facing yet another re-write is daunting... although I feel like I've learned a significant amount about myself throughout this process and will approach the essay in a new light this application cycle. Let me know how to go about this... I can easily copy/paste them into private messages on this forum or message me your email and we can go that route. 

ToppDogg: I took human anatomy, 300 level Microbio, Cell Biology (200 level),  Statistics, and Chemistry 163 (3rd in general sequence).

Any suggestions for others-? I am thinking about Biochem this fall and possibly a few 100 level online courses over the summer (although again am unsure if this will just come across as 'the easy road' to raising GPA).

I think my references were solid, but this is the awkard part of not seeing what they've submitted isn't it??. One was from an MD I have worked with in ED for 5 yrs (and am close personal friends with), and 2 from PA's. One PA gave me copy and it was short, but pretty candid- ?. This June we will be moving to the Tri-Cities area and I will be starting a new job (sigh). I know that the MD I currently scribe for will write me an excellent letter, but getting 2 more that are personal may be difficult...

Also- I applied to 8 schools across the U.S. in 2012 and 5 schools in 2013. With such a low science and cumulative GPA I found that I actually didn't meet the minimun requirements of many schools (hence the focus on raising it asap so that I can apply to more programs). I haven't even had 1 single interview.... which is incredibly disheartening.

If there are any programs that you are privy too that cater to more experience vs GPA- ?

And if any of you have connections in Yakima/Richland/Tri Cities areas that would be open for volunteer or shadowing please let me know.

Thanks again for the input!!! very appreciated.

AV I sent you my e-mail address in a message. feel free to use it. I'd be happy to look it over and give some honest feedback. Don't give up!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, It took me two tries to get in. I could possibly provide you with useful advice. You should specify what part of the application process you are getting rejected in. Are you getting interviews? I interviewed both times.

If I were you I wouldn't get too hung up on having "this or that" specific science class. I would re-take A&P until you have an A in it. That's the one they are gonna weigh most. 

And to back up what siskiyoufire said, A&P is definitely weighed heavily...and when you get in, it's just as important, as your first class is a pretty rigorous online A&P with limited faculty interaction (not in a bad way, but just in the sense that you are assumed to be a good self-studier). So A&P is a good place to concentrate your energy. Really take apart your application and weigh out weaknesses. Essays, HCE hours, even how you're describing HCE, GRE scores (not weighed that heavily, but could be a part of it), interviews (if you're getting them), etc. 

Wondering if I can join in on this conversation, as I'll be applying to MEDEX next month for the first time. Those of you that have been accepted or been through the program, I've already written my personal statement, but should I be using most/the entire essay to focus on my passion for being a PA and healthcare, or should I also add in the relatively small amount of volunteer experience that I have? I'm curious if it's better to briefly touch on that to show that I've given back, or with such a small amount of volunteer experience, if it isn't worth wasting characters in the essay on that. Thanks!

I would stick to your passion of becoming a PA and the path that has led you to it. The question on CASPA is a pretty vague question. If I remember correctly isn't it something like  "Describe your motivation for becoming a Physician Assistant". I would focus on explaining it in a story sense. I worked on my personal statement for about 3 months and I am glad I kept it the way I did. I thought about changing it and explaining what a PA does ect but I felt that if I was going to stand out I would have to tell them something personal about me, and it paid off. Adding the volunteer work isn't a bad idea, especially if it opened your eyes in some way to something. I also agree that it should be brief. It would also be the right time to briefly address any bad grades ect. Hope this helps!

-A

I would agree with EMSGuy1982, with the added caveat that any explanation of grades should be brief or not defensive. You don't want to come across as a blame shifter or someone who doesn't own their failures, but if you have something significant to explain and a reasonable explanation, go for it. Me, for example, my grades weren't stellar, but it wasn't anything more than a lack of focus in my earlier years. I chose to highlight that I had changed and grown as an individual and that my focus on becoming a PA had enhanced my studying capabilities, etc.

Also worth noting, people love personal examples and tales. I really identify with EMSGuy's choice not to reiterate what a PA is. This is not the time for that. This is the time to explain your journey, your passion, your driving force, or your mission! That is, too, what MEDEX wants to hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks ktcan10! I've been reading a bunch of your guys' previous posts and I think I've got a pretty good idea now of what should be included, thanks to you guys. Thanks for contributing to all of these posts and helping those of us who have not been accepted yet. Hope to be in the class next year!

• 4 weeks later...

siskiyoufire: I have not had a single interview yet. I get through the initial screening and then haven't been notified of rejection until late January both times I have applied (which Im assuming MAY mean my application remains under consideration for while, though hasn't been able to rise to the top for an interview -??).

I received A- in Physiology and B in Anatomy.

As far as what I am doing right now to improve my app:

- Just got my spring quarter grades: A's in both statistics and 3rd gen chem series lab/class. I will be taking online Nutrition summer quarter and likely Biochem in the fall. With A's in these classes I will be able to apply to both programs in Oregon as well.

- Renewed by BLS/heartsaver cert last week.

- After we move in the next few weeks I will likely be working as a scribe in the ED for the summer or as an MA in clinic setting (yet another new role/perspective to add to my resume).

- I am currenly rewriting my essays from the ground up and taking a new approach to how I am writing them with a much more personal focus. I reread my previous essays very critically and this might be what is holding me back.... my stories and examples just sound "young". When the first draft(s) are finished I will be taking some of you up on offers to read my essays.

-Also considering retaking GRE, although I will admit I am dreading this and review of very old math skills... we'll see.

I really want to do EVERYTHING I can this year and send them as strong an application as possible! Any other suggestions are welcome.

Again, thank you all for your feedback everyone!

siskiyoufire: I have not had a single interview yet. I get through the initial screening and then haven't been notified of rejection until late January both times I have applied (which Im assuming MAY mean my application remains under consideration for while, though hasn't been able to rise to the top for an interview -??).

- Just got my spring quarter grades: A's in both statistics and 3rd gen chem series lab/class. I will be taking online Nutrition summer quarter and likely Biochem in the fall. With A's in these classes I will be able to apply to both programs in Oregon as well.

- After we move in the next few weeks I will likely be working as a scribe in the ED for the summer or as an MA in clinic setting (yet another new role/perspective to add to my resume).

- I am currenly rewriting my essays from the ground up and taking a new approach to how I am writing them with a much more personal focus. I reread my previous essays very critically and this might be what is holding me back.... my stories and examples just sound "young". When the first draft(s) are finished I will be taking some of you up on offers to read my essays.

-Also considering retaking GRE, although I will admit I am dreading this and review of very old math skills... we'll see.

I really want to do EVERYTHING I can this year and send them as strong an application as possible! Any other suggestions are welcome.

I don't know if you have already submitted your application but I am also willing to read your personal statements and give you any advice that I can. Good luck :-)

• 4 weeks later...

So since you're not getting interviews my two cents is that its either cause:

1: Using my  class as a barometer Id consider your experience on the weaker side (But not horrible, there are a few people in my class with less).

2. Probably your essays dude. Medex weights the individual and the experience. If you meet the bare minimum academic requirements to apply and have no degree whatsoever ( like myself)

But, have strong experience and good essays then you just might make it. Thats why before I said I wouldn't get too obsessed with having "this" class or "that" class  to impress them. They aren't gonna look at your app this year and say " OH, look! he took O-chem. Now we let him in!"

ALSO, DO NOT FORGET

They want people who fit their mission statement.

"...Individuals from diverse backgrounds dedicated to delivering healthcare to rural and urban underserved populations." or something like that...

To get an interview you need to prove that to them with your past deeds and essay. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reapplying this year also. I moved up to Alaska last year, following my dream, along with my wife and daughter. I had no luck last year.

Since then I've retaken A&P I (A) and completed Principles of Evolution (B). I've been working full-time as a medical assistant- unfortunately not in family medicine, but interventional pain management. I have five years' experience as a hospital corpsman and another six in family practice/urgent care. I was nationally certified EMT-B 2004-2006, so HCE is my strong suite I think.

My wife and I work opposing schedules and when I'm not working, I'm on daddy duty- we couldn't afford daycare and we prefer our daughter stay home anyways. With that being said, I haven't really had an opportunity to take courses at the university I attend. Which, by the way, is how most upper level courses are offered. I have enough credits for a Bachelor's degree, but I don't even have an Associate's.

Here come the violins and the tear drops.... Juuust kiddin', that's the end of my sob story. I fell in love with MEDEX after I found their website in 2012. My wife and I picked-up and moved to the other end of the continent, literally, and we couldn't be happier here. This is the only school I've applied to and the only one I will continue to apply to. Aside from just craziness or stupidity, logistics plays a small roll.

Would any of you current MEDEX students have a minute to read and critique my narratives? I've already submitted (July), but I sure would appreciate it anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived