2014-2015 App Cycle

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mbh2,

Congratulations! Sounds like you're one step closer to an interview :] May I ask when you submitted your CASPA and supplemental? When was your supplemental, prereq sheet, and everything else processed? My stuff just barely finished processing last week. I hope they will be able to review my application soon as well. Best of luck to you!

-Emy

Hey everyone! :)

I'm a fellow applicant as well. My application was complete on July 30th, and I still haven't heard anything either. My status still says "Application Materials Received." I just checked on the website and it says "Should you be invited to interview, you can expect to hear from us via email in January or February. On-campus interviews of selected applicants are typically held in Pomona January through late February." This wait is killing me! Good luck to all of you :)

mbh2,

Congratulations! Sounds like you're one step closer to an interview :] May I ask when you submitted your CASPA and supplemental? When was your supplemental, prereq sheet, and everything else processed? My stuff just barely finished processing last week. I hope they will be able to review my application soon as well. Best of luck to you!

-Emy

CASPA was verified 8/15

supplemental was received on 8/19

Prerequisite form was received on 9/4 (it took a long time for me to get ahold of syllabi for all the prerequisites)

Processed and sent for review on 10/3

I received my rejection information about a week ago. Since getting into a school and finishing up prerequesites has been like pulling teeth in Southern California, I opted to finish my bachelors degree online. Finishing all of my classes online as well as finishing my labs for my science classes online as well; evidently Western as well as Loma Linda does not allow such classes to be acceptable to fulfill the prerequesites for possible admission.

This is why Western did not and will not accept me. As a result, I may have to take all of my science classes over again.

I received my rejection information about a week ago. Since getting into a school and finishing up prerequesites has been like pulling teeth in Southern California, I opted to finish my bachelors degree online. Finishing all of my classes online as well as finishing my labs for my science classes online as well; evidently Western as well as Loma Linda does not allow such classes to be acceptable to fulfill the prerequesites for possible admission.

This is why Western did not and will not accept me. As a result, I may have to take all of my science classes over again.

From my experience, Western U will take non-lab online classes like Psych 101 and Genetics. However, they will not accept classes that have a lab component like Gen Chem, A&P, and etc.

Not sure if you're still struggling to find classes in So Cal but I went to SCUHS' Integrated Science Program in Whittier, CA. Classes are Sat & Sun from 8am-6pm x 4 weekends = 1 semester (4 units). I had 0 science prerequisites completed and finished all of them with 6 months with the combo of Online for non-lab classes and SCUHS for lab classes. The classes were accepted by Western U but double check in case anything has changed. The ISP program is pretty expensive (like $2k per class). But if you're in a hurry and can't find the class any where else its something to consider.

You may have a hard time finding ANY school that is willing to accept online labs.

Good luck to everyone applying this year.

Western just does not accept online labs.  You should try to find a school where you can retake the lab portion of the science courses.  You shouldn't have to retake all of your science classes. Which I know sometimes easier said than done.  But if you are really serious about becoming a PA...then you have to do what you have to do to make yourself a competitive candidate.

Good luck with your future pursuit of the PA profession.

I got an invite for a Preview Day at the Western University? If I don't go (because I live in a different state and have no money for travel and hotel), will that affect my chances of getting an interview?

I got an invite for that too. If you don't go it won't hurt you. It might benefit you if you could go, just because you get to meet faculty and show your face but if you don't go it's no big deal.

I noticed that WU was the only school that forgave repeat grades, unlike CASPA. However, WU didn't specify required clinical hours and seemed vague with their admissions. Some of the other less expensive PA schools had much higher requirements. The tuition at WU is much higher than some others, so I hope that means lower teacher-student ratios. I submitted everything tonight. I just want at least an interview. Haven't had one so far. Signed up for the Preview Day even though I will have to fly from out of state. Please post if you get an interview, Good luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to ask... Has anyone taken the GRE? I thought about not working in January so I can study. How many hours did you take to prepare? Did you study on your own or take a class like KAPLAN? I'm hoping it will open up more options. 

MJST,

I took the GRE in October right before I sent everything in for my CASPA application!  Taking the GRE was a last minute decision for me because I was originally only planning to apply to WesternU, but I decided to apply to USC as well (USC requires the GRE).

I studied for the GRE for exactly one week in September, right before my classes started for the fall quarter.  I used The Princeton Review 2012 book because the hospital that I volunteered at had extra copies and were handing them out for free.  I also utilized Magoosh.

Because The Princeton Review has about 350 pages of content, I read and studied 50 pages a day, which took about 3-4 hours a day.  I feel like that book prepared me well for the GRE.  Not only did it have the GRE concepts, but it also excelled in tips on educated guessing specific for each section.

In the end, I achieved a 159 in Quantitative, 159 in Verbal, and a 4.5 in Writing. It was a tricky test, but if you have a solid foundation in math concepts and a good grasp on vocabulary, using just a book and online resources should be more than enough.

Good luck,

PRheePA

Archived