If anyone has any experience with moving to another job that is within the designated boundaries spelled out by their noncompete clause, or knows someone....

I am currently in dermatology, have worked at the clinic for nearly 2 1/2 years.

I have a noncompete clause in my employment agreement (not a contract - it states employment may be severed at any time by employee or employer) which states I am prohibited from working I another derm clinic within a FIFTY mile radius for two years after my employment ends.

I think this is excessive and most judges would agree that there is no way this can enforced because it prevents me from living where I currently reside and working within a reasonable distance.

If anyone has violated the terms of their noncompete, I would love for any advice on how to progress. Do I tell my employer where I am planning on working? It would be 15 miles from my current office. Do I leave and start at the new place and hope he doesn't track me down? Do I offer to settle out of court?

I have heard that noncompetes for PAs are an empty threat, a scare tactic. If anyone has any experience, please do tell.

varies by the state - in MASS physician non competes are illegal

are you working in Derm still?

If yes - then you should talk about it - and try to come to an agreement

a few thoughts thoughts though

1) in order for them to enforce it they have to hire and atty and persue legal action...

2) I believe that in order for a non-compete to be enforcable there has to be some "consideration" for it - .... they have to have paid you for the non-compete

3) I have always heard that a non compete can not eliminate the ability for you to make a living..... and yes 2 years and 50 miles is to long/far.....

4) if you don't have a signed employement contract - just agreement - well that doesn't really help in that you have likely been acting and working on the contract and therefore have a contract.....

I would start with open talk to your current employer if at all possible and just explain it.

Might want to talk to a lawyer before this (will likely cost you a few hundered dollars) but will let you know some specifics

You are asking a legal question and really need to speak to an attorney before proceeding. It would seem to me that if the non-compete is legal, then you are both legally and ethically bound by it. Hoping not to get caught doesn't seem to be a good strategy. If it isn't legal, you can take the other position but still need to handle any ethical issues. Again, your best advice will come from a professional. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

You are asking a legal question and really need to speak to an attorney before proceeding. It would seem to me that if the non-compete is legal, then you are both legally and ethically bound by it. Hoping not to get caught doesn't seem to be a good strategy. If it isn't legal, you can take the other position but still need to handle any ethical issues. Again, your best advice will come from a professional. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

if only "legal" was such an easy thing to define.....

if only "legal" was such an easy thing to define.....

Precisely why I suggested the op talk to an attorney. I have a simple definition for "legal." Until an issue has been adjudicated you can only surmise based on written and prior case law. Even attorneys frequently get it wrong.

Archived