Excision of Herpetic Lesion?

Thanks but no thanks to all of you and your rude and worthless comments. If you'd like to know why I asked this question, maybe you will reconsider your comments.

I was referred a pt from a urologist for a skin lesion that appears once a year usually after being in the sun in early spring or after a big stressor. Dermatologist diagnosed it as herpes and rx'd valtrex. Pt has had great success using this at onset since. The area was inflamed when he saw his urologist and was starting his valtrex that day. Urologist said it should be excised and referred to me.

I kindly explained to the pt that excision was not the key and to continue treating with valtrex and to see me back if the area begins to not improve with valtrex in the future.

So maybe you all should stop insulting me and begin questioning this urologist. I posed the question here as I was perplexed myself ....

Don't be so quick to judge.....please.

Guest Paula

Thanks but no thanks to all of you and your rude and worthless comments. If you'd like to know why I asked this question, maybe you will reconsider your comments.

I was referred a pt from a urologist for a skin lesion that appears once a year usually after being in the sun in early spring or after a big stressor. Dermatologist diagnosed it as herpes and rx'd valtrex. Pt has had great success using this at onset since. The area was inflamed when he saw his urologist and was starting his valtrex that day. Urologist said it should be excised and referred to me.

I kindly explained to the pt that excision was not the key and to continue treating with valtrex and to see me back if the area begins to not improve with valtrex in the future.

So maybe you all should stop insulting me and begin questioning this urologist. I posed the question here as I was perplexed myself ....

John, the responses would have been respectful if the responders knew the above scenario.  Do you think the urologist thought it was an abscess that needed I&D?  Goes to show that physicians in specialties are right to refer to us in primary care for stuff like this.  They don't know what they don't know.....LOL!!!

Come on, John.  Had you asked your original question with the scenario you recently provided you would've gotten much more direct responses.  As you did not include anything about why you were asking the answers you received, especially for a question with an easily researchable answer, were fairly tame.  The more information you include when asking a question the better.  As a PA you should know this by now.

I must admit, though, the "let me google that for you" response was pretty funny.

if Dx in question - 

1) do viral swab of the area and culture

2) do HSV titers

confirm the Dx  before going any further

I used to use a fair amount of viral suppression for HSV - something like 90% of days they have asymptomatic viral shedding and could spread it - hence it is a bit of a public health care issue (and they hurt like heck)

confirm Dx, if HSV do viral suppression - 

remember to post pertinent details of a case - just like a verbal presentation on rounds - include things that matter - otherwise people will assume.....

I'm with everyone else.  I was initially thinking, "Huh? This is not a question anyone in practice has ever asked before because, well....  It doesn't make much sense.  Unless you're thinking HPV."  

Now that I know a urologist was the referring provider, the question makes a bit more sense.  

What I have to add is this: weird lesions like this recurring in the same spot (whether they respond to antivirals or not) should often be biopsied at least to ensure that we're not missing abnormal presentations of SCC, BCC, or pyoderma gangrenosum.  

Don't forget to think of atypical presentations of typical things...

Archived