Hospital Rounding Requirements

in my old hospital job (IR)

I would round independently and report back to the doc

think this was the exception (rounds were optional on post procedure rounds only)

From the hospital PAs that do the service, the doc has to cosign every note and i think they have to see the patient at some point every  day

What is the regulation for hospital rounds done by PAs? Does the supervising physician need to round daily if a PA writes a progress note? If so, within how many hours?

...depend on setting and whether one is new grad vs experienced hospitalist PA. In larger academic setting where I've worked. Daily census are split between MLP (PA/NP) service and MD/Resident service. The PAs rounds on pts & would discuss each pt w/ the attending. Experienced Hospitalist PA work independently bouncing things off w/ the attending MD, exception, certain procedure are delegated to senior or junior resident because they have to log in X amount of procedure/for training purposes. Night cross cover split b/w MLP & MD/Resident service w/ someone on call at night. Hope this helps. I'm sure others will share their exp. Again, like I said, it's very setting dependent (large hospital/large groups vs small hospital/small or community hospital).

In my small critical access hospital I am the attending. Hospital bylaws require rounding every 24 hours but they do not state by whom.  Medicare rules require that mid-levels advise a supervising physician within 24 hours of an admission and discharge and discuss any major therapeutic intervention. It’s only a rare case when I’m on call that my patients see a physician.     

In the ICU I work at, we do interdisciplinary rounds every weekday morning, which includes the intensivist, PA/NP, PharmD, etc. Every note that I write gets an addendum done by my supervising physician. The addendum can consist of an entirely new note to essentially "agree with the above." Depends on the doc. I believe the same goes for advanced providers on the regular floors.

Archived