Letter of Reference problem

So I thought I had my LOR's figured out months ago - PA I shadowed, Professor I have taken multiple classes with and one from work either my Paramedic supervisor or Clinical Trainer.

Turns out that last one is a no go. Apparently the company I work for has a policy that no supervisors can write letters of reference, all they can do is confirm I work there and that  I am in good standing. So now I am trying to figure out who I can ask for number three. My options are

1) Volunteer Coordinator:  from a hospital I volunteered at for 5 months about a year ago. She would be a good writer however I havent been in touch for the past 12 months so it may be a little generic.

2) Lab supervisor: I've been doing work on a research project this semester (so since January) and the lab supervisor would be able to write me one but I'm not sure if this would be received well.

3) EMT colleague: NOT a supervisor. I could ask one of my EMT peers from work to write me a reference. They would be able to attest to my patient care skills, work ethic and ability to be a good team player. Trouble is this would be from a peer not from a supervisor.

I'm leaning toward number 3 but I was wondering what people on here would suggest...

Cheers

Oh and the lesson from this is that I shouldnt have assumed the work reference was in the bag. 

Lesson to be learned here is (and honestly I am not trying to sound harsh) ask before you start anything and perhaps during as a kind reminder how important this is to you. If nothing else get it in writing that way you are not thrown a curve ball at the last minute. Sorry this happened ... 

Lesson to be learned here is (and honestly I am not trying to sound harsh) ask before you start anything and perhaps during as a kind reminder how important this is to you. If nothing else get it in writing that way you are not thrown a curve ball at the last minute. Sorry this happened ... 

It is definitely a curve ball. I'm not sure why there is a policy like this, but why doesn't really matter. The clinical manager did say if they wanted to phone her she would vouch for me...I wonder if CASPA would go for that? (just kidding). She seemed pretty frustrated by it herself as they get asked quite often most people I work with have ambitions for paramedic, nursing, PA or med school. I'll figure something out.

Do not use number 3. Could easily be miscontrued as a friend. Big no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm good point I had not thought about that. What if they stated they really didn't like me all that much but couldn't deny I am an amazing EMT :-).

Seriously though perhaps I should consider option one or two or dig further back in my work history to get an employer reference.

Do you work on an ALS crew?  In many places technically the paramedic would be one of your "supervisors" if you're an EMT.  I'd think similar to a CNA in a hospital having an RN write one

I have worked ALS in the past, mostly BLS though for the past 6 months. I'm part time and pick up what shifts I can. Unfortunately turnover is fairly high and most of the medics I worked with have left. I agree that relationship would most resemble a CNA getting a reference from an RN. There is one EMT I work regularly with who has over ten years experience, teaches WEMT classes and is a FI for our company. I thought he would have the suitable experience to be able to assess my team work and patient care. 

My other alternative is to get a work reference from a non EMS job. That could come from a supervisor but obviously would not be as relevant as one from an EMT colleague.

• 4 weeks later...

In need of advice about a reference letter....

I will soon finish my CASPA application. I still need one more reference. A doctor I shadowed last year was so excited about my applying to PA programs that he went ahead and wrote me a recommendation (I wasn't going to apply until now). He gave me a paper copy (since I wasn't yet applying), and the letter basically said "To whom it may concern, she is a nice young woman." Now that I am actually applying, I worry that the electronic letter he submits will be like this. Is this a good-enough letter? ...because my reaction was that this has to be one of the worst. How do I somehow ask him to describe me more, or should I just ask another health professional altogether? Since CASPA includes an evaluation portion along with the letter, should this kind of letter be good enough anyway?

I enjoyed the previous advice on this thread and would appreciate feedback :)

• 1 month later...

Avoid getting a reference from an EMT colleague, that would probably be perceived as a friend. I would try contacting the volunteer coordinator for a reference and see how she responds. Then, I would email her a detailed description of your achievements, work history, etc. so she can kinda have a "guideline". 

Archived