Foreign medical graduate

Im an fmg trying to apply for PA since I need clinical experience in the USA to get a residency. I graduated med school 3 years ago and have been working in my hometown since. Will my credit hours be accepted here? Anyone with any advice?

Will your credit hours be accepted? The answer is honestly "maybe". Many schools will require the TOEFL and transcripts translated by an approved translation service to apply. There also may be requirements for all prerequisites to be taken at schools in the US, which essentially makes your foreign degree "electives" at those schools.

The next question is, will a PA school accept you if the only purpose of you going to PA school is to get clinical experience for a US residency? I seriously doubt they will waste the slot. Their goal is to train PAs, not help FMGs meet residency match requirements.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

In order to get clinical experience for fmgs, clerkships/observerships are the better route. They are faster, less paper work in terms of applications. Plus, you will not get much clin exp in the first year anyway. Instead, you will have to study a lot. Don't know where you are residing, but places like Chicago and NY are considered fmg friendly and may have opportunities for someone like you.

• Upvote 1

The next question is, will a PA school accept you if the only purpose of you going to PA school is to get clinical experience for a US residency? I seriously doubt they will waste the slot. Their goal is to train PAs, not help FMGs meet residency match requirements.

As my title indicates, I'm trying to get into PA school as an IMG myself. This is the hardest part about writing my personal statement-- proving to admissions that I'm not in it to enhance my residency chances. I'm married and at a stage in my life where I want to settle down with a good career in healthcare. Being a PA fulfills everything I want to be (a primary care clinician), much like being a family medicine doctor would.

FWIW- i was born and raised here in the States and did undergrad here. Went overseas for my medical degree. It is funny how these forums view IMGs/FMGs as the scum of the earth. It is hard work  going through medical school and passing the USMLEs. I just hope admissions committees can see our resilience and commitment to medicine.

• Administrator

It is funny how these forums view IMGs/FMGs as the scum of the earth. It is hard work  going through medical school and passing the USMLEs. I just hope admissions committees can see our resilience and commitment to medicine.

I don't think FMGs are the scum of the earth--hardly!  There are unused primary care match slots every year, so I suspect that FMGs simply don't have enough willingness to relocate to where the residencies are (granted, they're not great slots, but hey--beggars can't be choosers) or are simply so poor candidates that even during the scramble residency programs would rather have an empty slot.

If there's any discrimination, it's in the residency programs.  FMGs who know and can articulate what PA vs. MD limitations are in the US, and explain why they're good fits for the PA role, tend to do fine.  Those who can't... are presumed to just be taking up space marking time for residency.

• Upvote 3

FWIW- i was born and raised here in the States and did undergrad here. Went overseas for my medical degree. It is funny how these forums view IMGs/FMGs as the scum of the earth. It is hard work going through medical school and passing the USMLEs. I just hope admissions committees can see our resilience and commitment to medicine.

No doubt it's very hard work, and so is PA training. I think some feeling is tied to the fact that a vocal minority of doctors (on SDN) repeatedly suggest that IMGs/FMGs should be allowed to practice as PAs, and would do away with US trained PAs.

This was tried briefly years ago, with very poor results. Further more, it is a blatant stab at PA education. Yet in the US there is strict quality control, accreditation, and oversight of PA education. This is not the case for medical programs in all countries. But that is an example of when title overshadows training.

PAs practice medicine and are licensed under the same state medical boards as physicians. If some physicians see that as invalid, I guess they see their own license as invalid too. They can't have it both ways.

I wish you luck on your endeavor and hope that you support the PA profession, should you become one.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

There are unused primary care match slots every year, so I suspect that FMGs simply don't have enough willingness to relocate to where the residencies are (granted, they're not great slots, but hey--beggars can't be choosers) or are simply so poor candidates that even during the scramble residency programs would rather have an empty slot.

This is probably the biggest misconception out there. As someone who has gone through the match process twice already, I applied to over 200+ FM residencies across the country, as do most IMGs/FMGs. I have moved around across the country for my rotations. I don't think moving is necessarily an issue for most IMGs.

I will admit that I am not the best candidate, and my USMLE scores were mediocre; but many can argue that the USMLE's are harder than the PANCE. And with my scores, if I were a US grad, I would have easily matched (especially if I was applying to over 200 programs a year).

Residency applications are brutal as an IMG/FMG. The ERAS software (the CASPA system for residency) allows programs to set filters, so if you do not even meet certain USMLE scores, or are of a certain status (IMG/FMG, non-citizen, certain yrs removed from graduation, # of failures on USMLE, etc) your application doesn't even get downloaded. In theory, you can win a Nobel Prize, many publications, and stellar non-academic accolades, but if you do not meet certain objective criteria, your application doesn't even get seen.

I will admit that I am not the best candidate, and my USMLE scores were mediocre; but many can argue that the USMLE's are harder than the PANCE. And with my scores, if I were a US grad, I would have easily matched (especially if I was applying to over 200 programs a year).

This is a fallacious argument, and one I see too often repeated. It's along the lines of "med school is harder/more than PA school, why can't I (the unmatched MD) practice as a PA?"... Simply put, because they did not go to school for it.

The "hardness" of the PANCE vs. the USMLE is not the concern, rather it is the eligibility to take the exam and practice as a PA. The eligibility to take the PANCE requires one to graduate from an accredited PA program. What if PA graduates took the material they were missing from med school (about one year's worth) and the USMLEs and did well, should they be allowed to gain residency and practice as a physician? Everything is equal at that point. If your answer is no; then the reverse should also be no. There are training modalities unique to PA programs that prepare one to be a PA, not an MD; the reverse holds true as well.

• Upvote 1

This is probably the biggest misconception out there. As someone who has gone through the match processing twice already, I applied to over 200+ FM residencies across the country, as do most IMGs/FMGs. I have moved around across the country for my rotations. I don't think moving is necessarily an issue for most IMGs.

Residency applications are brutal as an IMG/FMG. The ERAS software (the CASPA system for residency) allows programs to set filters, so if you do not even meet certain USMLE scores, or are of a certain status (IMG/FMG, non-citizen, certain yrs removed from graduation, # of failures on USMLE, etc) your application doesn't even get downloaded. In theory, you can win a Nobel Prize, many publications, and stellar non-academic accolades, but if you do not meet certain objective criteria, your application doesn't even get seen.

I am married to an IMG. I know it is very difficult for them to get matched. I am in no way discrediting how hard they have worked and the sacrifices they give, not just in medical school but also to get matched in a residency program.

With that being said, we are missing the main point and going off on a tangent. The OP said that he/she is an fmg and is interested in PA school to gain clinical experience for medical residency, will med school credits be accepted.... Lets not make this about IMG vs US MD or IMG vs PA. Please answer the OPs question...

• Administrator

Fair enough, but let's what I actually said about that:

There are unused primary care match slots every year, so I suspect that FMGs simply don't have enough willingness to relocate to where the residencies are (granted, they're not great slots, but hey--beggars can't be choosers) or are simply so poor candidates that even during the scramble residency programs would rather have an empty slot. [...] If there's any discrimination, it's in the residency programs

You may think you're a reasonable candidate, but if things are as you describe them here, the residency programs obviously differ.

Mind you, I happen to work with a couple of FMGs from the Philippines who are both pretty much rock stars, so I'm unwilling to accept that the US medical system is so viciously biased against FMGs that one can't get a fair shake.  Oh, and both these doctors are Asian males, so there's no way you can argue that they're getting in on some sort of minority quota, either.

• 3 months later...

Have you look into DO program in NYC? The state of Missouri newly Assistant Physician (AP) law that was just passed is another option.

They may soon be inundated by fmgs and imgs willing to slave away for a pittance just to get matched. I feel sorry for PAs in MO.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

This is a fallacious argument, and one I see too often repeated. It's along the lines of "med school is harder/more than PA school, why can't I (the unmatched MD) practice as a PA?"... Simply put, because they did not go to school for it.

The "hardness" of the PANCE vs. the USMLE is not the concern, rather it is the eligibility to take the exam and practice as a PA. The eligibility to take the PANCE requires one to graduate from an accredited PA program. What if PA graduates took the material they were missing from med school (about one year's worth) and the USMLEs and did well, should they be allowed to gain residency and practice as a physician? Everything is equal at that point. If your answer is no; then the reverse should also be no. There are training modalities unique to PA programs that prepare one to be a PA, not an MD; the reverse holds true as well.

I would add that passing the PANCE or USMLE is a licensing hurdle. It means you can meet a minimum standard. It does not mean you know enough to become a licensed PA or MD. The same is true of many professional certifications including law.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

• 6 months later...

I am FIRMLY against accepting FMG into a PA program merely as a stepping stone

PA is a career in itself

You do not change careers lightly, and we need to protect the PA brand as the special amazing career it is - we do not want/need to water it down and confuse the situation by being and alternative to FMG

Outside of Europe the medical school is not the same in my limited experience, my local hospital takes a lot of FMG for the IM residency and between the language barriers and the lack of knowledge of FMG (a generalization I will admit) I am unimpressed, and they should NOT be admitted to the US system.  We should train our own doc's and not poach (brain drain) the doc's from other countries.

We have demonstrated that we can increase our med school grads, as well as PA and NP grads and I see no point in proving the cultural challenges beyond what is already in place with our american mixing pot of society (Which I like) but we need to provide a better cross section of american trained PA, NP, and doc's instead of merely FMG.

Now if you are dedicated to becoming a PA and embrace what it means to be a PA and want this a a career - that is a different story - but FMG-->PA--> US Doc should be outright banned as this is not what PA is.

flame away........

• Upvote 4

• 6 years later...