Let's all be professional ;)

I think everyone has been.

I have shadowed PA's from Duke, Western, RCC, and SJVC and they all follow one mission, primary healthcare. That is why I have applied to all those programs.

Two MS programs and two non MS programs... interesting

I have studied the professions history; I took a 6 month pre-PA class with Braver PA-C at MT. Sac.

Tell Lane I said Hi.

and I've attended several CAPA seminars. However, after attending last years CAPA meeting I got the impression that most programs in CA are changing into Masters programs by 2014.

What gave you that impression?

I was concern for some of the most impressive PA programs (such as SJVC) that I have applied to and was worried about they’re future.

Thank you for your kind words The Moreno Valley College and SJVC PA programs are doing their best to meet criteria for the 2020 transition date. It will be up to the ARC-PA to determine if we meet the standard in question.

I did not mean to offend any one, and I apologize if I have.

Thank you, and with all due respect, we are pretty happy with our students. BS or not. I think they all represent the profession well.

Lesh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE=Blitz;285843 i have only heard positive things about this program.

Thanks glad to hear that. We are proud of what we do in the Central Valley. The program has come a long way on the state and national scene as well. We are old school and proud of it. An overall 97% pass rate (only three grads have yet to pass the boards). Students and graduates awarded scholarships and loan repayment awards at significant levels. Graduate practice in medically underserved areas in Primary Care is the highest in the state. Student society awarded SAAAPA Outstanding Society three time and won a CAPA challenge bowl. The clinical year is excellent IMHO, there's gas cards for distant rotations and a 3 day board prep from a outstanding PA educator. We provide the students Exam Master, DataChem, Challenger, Kaplan PANCE prep and Typhon.

smaller class size is always a plus.

In ways you can't appreciate...lol. I've been faculty at two large PA programs (50+ students) and two small ones (20-25 students). Small is good IMHO. Better faculty to student ratio. Easier to deal with matriculating students. Easier to conduct clinical year and not burn out sites. Easier for graduates to find jobs in Central Valley rural healthcare networks and specialty practice.

I knew a graudate from this program and she give me some positive feedback regarding the staff.

We try, but to be fair, you will hear horror stories from some of our grads. Funny thing IMHO is that they are PA-Cs because of the program. The good the bad and they ugly..lol. All programs have their pros and cons. I do think the faculty and staff are the main strength of the program. No turn over in core faculty in eight years. They are the finest PA faculty I have ever worked with. They are good at what they do. For a PD it doesn't get any better than this.

Seems as your on top of thigs as well thax

If you are addressing me specifically thanks...I'm just an AARP PA. I've been around the block a time or two. Unfortunately that makes me nationally known and locally worthless at times...lol.

I am not a PA and i would love to see this field grow being optimistic. So yes Elika i agree with you lets make a new wave for the future ! Lets leave the "history" where it belongs.

You know this "new wave for the future" makes a program like our "history". Just saying...

LesH

Edited by LESH

• 8 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I just stumbled upon these threads and couldnt stop reading because of all the passion in the posts. Just wondering, does this mean that all PAs will be required to have a masters by 2020 or that all PA students should have the option of obtaining a masters at whichever school they choose to attend?

Thanks,

Jaspreet

Hi Everyone,

I just stumbled upon these threads and couldnt stop reading because of all the passion in the posts. Just wondering, does this mean that all PAs will be required to have a masters by 2020 or that all PA students should have the option of obtaining a masters at whichever school they choose to attend?

Thanks,

Jaspreet

http://www.arc-pa.com/documents/Degree%20issue10.2011fnl.pdf