Hello, I am a pre-PA student in my junior year of my undergraduate studies. I chose Psychology as a major because I was initially attempting to get into an RN program, finished most of the PA school prerequisites in my first 2 years, and wanted to study something I found interesting and applicable to being a PA when I transferred to a University. As I am taking my time on the way to PA school and chiseling away at my required HCE I won't be applying for at least another 2 years. I have a lot of free time and find the lack of medicine, Anatomy, and physiology specific studies getting a bit boring. Would any PA students recommend any books that they used in PA school that I could begin reading and understanding? Of course I would be looking for books that I would actually understand as a pre-PA student without a mentor. Would " Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 10th Edition" or any other books like that be advantageous for me to start on in my free time? Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you very much. 

Thank you very much for the reply. I will definately look into that. I spend a ton of time just randomly google searching and I have my Anatomy, microbiology, and Physiology books memorized page for page already. I would love to get familiar with PA school books so hopefully ill be able to drink a bit more from that fire hose when its my turn. Anybody have any recommendations? 

• 1 year later...

Spend your time reading books that will not be required for PA school.

Books that challenge the very questions of "what is our role as healthcare providers?" "What does it mean to provide care?" "What, if anything, is wrong with the way we are trained to question and examine our patients"  The touchy-feely stuff.  Your patients won't care whether you are a wiz at microbiology.  They'll want you to listen intently to what they say and to care about what's going on for them.

Here is a mix of faves:

"The Illness narratives" by Arthur Kleinman

"AIDS and Accusation" by Paul Farmer

"The Spirit Catches you and You Fall Down" by Ann Fadiman

"The History of Sexuality" by Michel Foucault (most people just download the last chapter of this one "the right to death and power over life")

Enjoy!

Archived