New Grad FM job offer salary without health insurance to family ..

I got job offer as new grad  in FM in Eastern Kentucky (rural clinic)

3 year contract

80K salary 

no health insurance

have to see 35 patient per day , 5 days week ,

15 days PTO 

2 day CME

no CME money .

No malpractice coverage for first year.

2 years non compete law  in same county and adjacent counties .

I have 2 kids  and wife and have  tons of student loan . This is very low for a family of four .

need advice 

Salary? Borderline. The rest is terrible. 2 years non-compete? have to see 35/day? No CME? No new grad should be forced to see 35/day, it's not safe. No insurance? Your family needs to be taken care of.

I understand Eastern KY is poor and needs help but the nurses lobby owns the state, making life hard on PAs. Move if you have to its worth it.

Run, don't walk, away from this offer

this is HORRIBLE

35/day - that is not ever reasonable

no health insurance -  BS

Worst offer we have seen on this board in some time

(oh yeah and that non-compete is likely illegal - depends on state law, but this is state law dependent.....

horrible offer.......

They don,t even mention malpractice and it appears ....not . 

35 patient if 3 patient per hour its 12 hour a day .

They told me its best offer I can get in Kentucky ....

Kentucky is NP state ...PAs have hard time to find jobs in Kentucky and if they find... probably like this ..

They don,t even mention malpractice and it appears ....not .

35 patient if 3 patient per hour its 12 hour a day .

Kentucky is NP state ...PAs have hard time to find jobs in Kentucky and if they find... probably like this ..

12 hours a day for 5 days? That's 60 hours a week (job and a half) for $80k. That's like $25 per hour. That's awful, man. You could do better than that...even in an NP friendly state.

You are worth so much more than this as a PA-C. Even though I will not have to worry about this process for 3 years; this offer is beyond insulting and their attitude/offer seems downright abusive.

Do yourself, your family, and your profession a huge favor and hold out for a real offer or move to a area with a real offer. You went through the rigors of PA school to practice medicine; not be treated like a peon. No health insurance offer, insane pt. load, barely two weeks off a year...with two kids? Hell to the NO.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Something tells me the clinic is open 8-5. This will be closer to 10 min per patient,not 20.

Even in KY I suspect you can do better.

Heck, the military will do you much better, and pay your loans back too. There is nothing wrong with starting as a first lieutenant, getting health care for your family, and loans paid if your desperate, and then going back home to work in four years....

Something tells me the clinic is open 8-5. This will be closer to 10 min per patient,not 20.

Even in KY I suspect you can do better.

Heck, the military will do you much better, and pay your loans back too. There is nothing wrong with starting as a first lieutenant, getting health care for your family, and loans paid if your desperate, and then going back home to work in four years....

This is true. I'm currently a 1st Lt in the Air Force. I see 18-20 patients per day (plus a million other duties). Plus we're a team. The docs here readily mentor me and I'm learning a ton. Definitely not a bad place to start my career.

Also, it's a 3 year contract, not 4.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a loan repayment program (at least not in the AF). OP, you should do some research on this.

I am Emergency care sergeant/combat medic US Army since 2008...current (Army Guard reserve))

Foreign  Medical Grad with 6 years of Internal medicine and acute care experience .(passed all USMLE exam but no luck getting residency so chose PA path because ..residency is almost impossible to get )

You are worth so much more than this as a PA-C. Even though I will not have to worry about this process for 3 years; this offer is beyond insulting and their attitude/offer seems downright abusive.

Do yourself, your family, and your profession a huge favor and hold out for a real offer or move to a area with a real offer. You went through the rigors of PA school to practice medicine; not be treated like a peon. No health insurance offer, insane pt. load, barely two weeks off a year...with two kids? Hell to the NO.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

THIS. ALL of this!! Couldn't agree more.

I am Emergency care sergeant/combat medic US Army since 2008...current (Army Guard)

Foreign  Medical Grad with 6 years of Internal medicine and acute care experience .(passed all USMLE exam but no luck getting residency so chose PA path because ..residency is almost impossible to get )

But this job offer  really made me think....... work at gas station cash and get food stamp , medicaid, SS. I will make more then this ... 

That quote makes me sad. You are highly trained and should be compensated accordingly. I think you have your answer. RUN. You are worth so much more than that insulting offer. 

that's insane. whoever owns the practice will easily make over 100K a year on you. you should propose 120K without benefits as a matter of principle. I hope you let him or her know how offensive the offer is. I wonder if this is a PA saturated area ? I bet NYC gets even worse since all the PA programs in that area are expanding at RAPID rates for more tuition income.

Kentucky is worst state in term of PA laws its does not allow PAs to write controlled substance prescription , we just get rid of Law which say New Grad PAs have to work with Physician in side building for 18 months before can work outside office as independent provider  , 100% co-signing , etc .

Eastern Kentucky is heavily prescription addition area so every practice depend on controlled substance prescription to have business and PAs are no use in this setting.

As every one told its better to leave when you have so many odds against you ..I think its time to say good bye ..Kentucky ..People are nice in Kentucky and I love to work and serve but ..I have fewer choices as the offers I am getting here are as low as possible .

Thanks guy for support and insight I was just inches away for signing the contract  ..

Oh..I almost forget to tell you guys that its 3 year contract which makes me sweat ...inside office ...

Archived