Am I being greedy?

My supervising docs love to have extra help rounding on the weekends. For writing notes on every patient in the unit, on the floors and in the LTAC -anywhere from 25-40 patients, I get paid an extra "day" of salary. Works out to about three hundred and I'm usually there for 8-10 hours. I still have to work my regular weeks. I'm learning a ton, and I worked every almost every weekend in Dec. and Jan, but I'm feeling tired. I need the money more than I need the rest but wondering what ya'll think about the pay?

Greedy..??? NO..!!!

Naive... Maybe..!!!

It is assumed that you "contracted" to work a set number of hrs per wk/mo/yr... for a set price.

Full Time = ~ 2080hrs/yr
(so divide your contracted yrly salary by 2080 to see what you make per hr)

Now you are working more hrs per wk/mo/yr without the benefit of the "premium" your employers pay themselves and ALL others they do business with when they or the others work 1 minute more than the contracted time.

Toss out the 2080hrs/yr. Because as providers, we rarely work a simple 8hrs/day... 40hrs/week. Its generally more like 50-60hrs/week for a lot of folks.

So now excluding this extra day per week you have been working... divide your contracted yrly salary by the ACTUAL number of hrs you work/yr.

$75k/yr divided by 2080hrs (40hrs/wk) = ~ $36.00/hr

$75k/yr divided by 2600hrs (50hrs/wk) = ~ $28.80/hr

$75k/yr divided by 3120hrs (60hrs/wk) = ~ $24.00/hr

Each and every one of your employers pay extra money to the plumber, electrician, MAs, Nurses, Techs, clerks, etc. for "overtime" or "extended-hrs." It is just the way it is and accepted/expected normal practice. As I look around... and consider the liability... I don't see anyone else "practicing medicine" for $28/hr except those that don't have a clue.

So why is the interruption of YOUR spare-time, personal-time, decompression-time less important/worthy of "premium compensation" than the Doc's, ancillary staff's (nurses, MAs, medical records people, etc) plumber's, IT guys, electrician's, baker's, candlestick maker's, etc...?

If I was you... I'd continue to do the extra days for a solid yr... then negotiate for ~ $62.50/hr ($500/8hrs) when I work on my days off.

But hey... that's just how I roll... :wink:

YMMV

Contrarian

Archived