Hello, I'm new to the forum. This year is the big year for me. I plan on applying to programs this summer for matriculation next year.

During my shadowing experiences I have found that the most valuable part of the shift is sitting down and asking the PA questions. Seeing them do the job is helpful, but it's awfully familiar to me as I am a float NA in a hospital and see PAs do their job on the regular. Lately I have been contacting a lot of local PAs and asking them any and all questions I can think up. Getting ahold of PAs is a difficult matter however. I hope that's where you come in. I have a few questions that I would like anyone with a spare moment to answer for me. I'm really just trying to get a better, more concrete understanding of the profession. So far, what I have heard from the PAs I've interviewed is extremely promising.

Thank you for any help you can offer. Here are my questions.

Why did you want to be a PA as oppose to any other health care professional?

When treating a patient, is there ever a time when you say to yourself "Thank goodness I'm a PA because if I weren't, I wouldn't be able to provide this care"? Or in other words, is there ever a time in which you are grateful that you are not a Nurse, PT, or any other health professional with less involvement in the diagnosis and treatment of the patient because it would limit you in something you feel you need to do? And if so, what was the situation and what was the care?

In contrast, As a PA, do you ever have the thought cross your mind while treating a patient "If only I was an MD, I would be able to provide a care that I can't right now as a PA" Or in other words, is there ever a time in which you feel limited in your ability to treat a patient as a mid-level provider?

What is the best part of being a PA for you? (Something that doesn't coincide with other health care professionals)

How would you distinguish your job/duties and skill set from a MD, DO, or NP? What do you feel are the important differences and similarities? How do you feel about their professions in general? And what do you think of their usefulness in various specialties and settings? Do they make your job easier/harder?

What is your educational background? (Just in terms of undergraduate degree onward. High school isn't necessary)

Why do you work in the specialty that you do? What is it about it that you love/like? Is it the specialty that is ideal for you?

What was your professional program like (Med school, NP program, PA program...etc)? How difficult was the application process? Did you apply to many schools? Do you have any words of wisdom for someone who is planning to apply soon?

How balanced do you feel your career is? (As far as it's effect on your life outside of work, the amount of time that is devoted to it, the amount of time you can spend with each patient... etc) Do you feel rushed or limited on time often? Or does everything feel pretty balanced?

Are there times in which you don't know the answer to a patient's problem? What do you do in these situations? Who do you consult? Who do you bounce ideas off of? How do your patients typically respond to you not having an immediate answer?

Did you have patient care experience prior to your current role? If so, what was it? How many hours (roughly) did you have? Was it helpful to you in your current role? And in what ways?

Feel free to post or message me (Not sure if you can message people on this forum). Either way, I can post an email if people would like me to recieve their answers by email.

Thanks again.

Archived