If You Could Go Anywhere and Do Anything, What Would You Do?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you're into surgery, but my very favorite rotation in school was Surgery, at Flint Michigan's Hurley Medical Center. The only Level I Trauma in the state not in Detroit, and a ridiculously economically depressed town. It's good work, and they have a ton of PAs with great responsibilities.

I know a couple new grad PA's who worked in trauma at Hurley... apparently the pay is low, you get good experience, but you are ground into a bloody pulp... I heard several took up smoking to deal with the stress...could be a rumor. I can find out more if you want. 

I would become the next Health and Human Services secretary and change all the PA laws to make them completely equitable with NPs/MDs and DOs.  Then I would require insurance companies to empanel us without disputes and provide us with equal reimbursement as those who do the same job.  Next I would correct the PA title, make us autonomous federally speaking and send a letter to each Governor that PAs are to be deemed autonomous providers and to consider changing the state legislation to favor PAs.  Lastly, I would forbid AMA to speak against us. 

What rabbit hole did I fall into?

• 11 months later...

I'd work a rural Montana job that has FM clinic 10-15 pt/day) with rotating ED, inpatient, and nursing home coverage so I could do a bit of everything while taking in a good salary. I've been seeing some job postings just for this and it's enticing. Then enjoy the beautiful outdoors of MT. The lady prospects are dim from what I hear though.

I'd work a rural Montana job that has FM clinic 10-15 pt/day) with rotating ED, inpatient, and nursing home coverage so I could do a bit of everything while taking in a good salary. I've been seeing some job postings just for this and it's enticing. Then enjoy the beautiful outdoors of MT. The lady prospects are dim from what I hear though.

the men are men, the women are men, and the sheep are afraid....

I would have a flat in London and work there and go to India to work there as well.

As if income and money were no object at all.

I would become the crazy cat lady I am in another country and maybe even go to veterinary school to boot.

I would soak up each moment of sunshine available and take long lunches and be home for dinner every night.

My patients would be the ones who need my help the most and I wouldn't ever again deal with an insurance company or worry about payment.

Then, I woke up and started another day - diarrhea x 26 days, dizzy and nauseated, diabetes not controlled and kids with simple colds....................... It is what it is - my reality check...........................................

Archived