White matter changes/disease

Guest jb555

Guest jb555

Hey everyone! So I am a PA in neurology, mostly specializing in epilepsy but I see quite a few general neurology patients. 

My question is if anyone knows of any good patient handouts or even knows any good analogies to help patients understand white matter disease? I feel like no matter how I explain it, people leave still confused (and then go online and convince themselves they have MS). I have searched and searched for patient info on white matter changes but have found absolutely nothing. 

So if anyone has any sort of handout or a really easy way to explain it, that would be amazing!

Thank you!

Since I work in headache, I do come across this daily. When I order an MRI I explain it even before it is done, because 30% of chronic headache sufferers have it.  For this select group, I do have articles that describe that, in the case of headache, it has no association with other disease, MS, dementia and etc.  I call it mircovascular disorder that has no consequence.

Archived