• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For privacy, I'll just say that I live in a big metropolitan area similar to San Diego, Chicago, New York, etc.  The area is renown for the high ranking medical school and tons of hospitals spread close to each other - walking or driving. Lots of students come internationally and nationally just for the school. 

If there was more to the story, I would love to kow what it is so I can fix it.  Hence, why I am here.  I didn't go into details because I didn't want to bother people but I've ran into weird issues.  For example, when I applied for a FP job on the miltary base, a person responded and asked if I was a US citizen to which I replied that I was.  Then silence - no reponse, no email, no nothing.  Or when I applied for a Psych PA job and when I went back to check on the status, it said "Prospect."  Ok cool, I thought.  Then I checked back 2 weeks later, and it said I applied for some type of Systems Manager position!  So I had to resubmit my dang resume and it put me back to the beginning.  Or when I gave the name of a PA for a reference check to get work with a staffing agency to work in a prison, I found that he hasn't done it yet because his son is about to die.  Or when I was still studying for the PANCE, I had an interview at a skilled nursing facility, and was told that they went with someone else because of their years of experience. Maybe they really didn't like me and they were lying - I don't know if they don't tell me the truth.  But, lack of experience is what I'm seeing and hearing.  Also, one of the hospital I applied to told me it takes 6-9 months to vet an applicant. Yes, I've tried Indeed, staffing agencies, Craigslist.

I put the words out there and got feedback that it's who they knew that they were able to get that sweet job in Radiology/Surgery that they had no experience in.  Or that they had experience as an athletic trainer that they got that job in Ortho.  Or that they had prior ER nursing experience that they got the job in Urgent Care.  Etc. 

Maybe the issue is I'm impatient due to the dwindling finances?  Granted, it has only been a month since I passed the PANCE.  I was told by one that it took him 6 months to get a job.  However, he had income from working as a Reservist.  Another told me it took her 4 months.  It took another 1 year!  I asked her what is the deal - she said it's saturated here because "it's a buyer's market."  She said it taking me a month to job hunt is nothing.  So as desperate as it seems, pizza delivery was the quickest way for me to get money.  I'm sure I can get a job in the future but when is the question.  I can't sit around and apply for PA work and lose money, while I have medical issues I need to fix.  Out of curiosity, I wonder how long it took others to find work.  But then again, I would expect variables due to locations.  But here in a saturated market, it's looking between 4 months to a year.  Forget that nonsense - I have a family to take care of now.  

I guess the "more to the story" is the personal issues (lack of money and medical issues) and that's why I deliver pizzas. 

Get out of that city.  It's not worth it.  I have tortured myself with my current profession in the recent past by endlessly applying to jobs that didn't want me, largely for reasons which are out of my control.  It was an incredibly stressful period of my life and affected me deeply.  It affects your coworker's attitudes, it affects how employers treat their cattle, and so on.  Go someplace you are valued, you and everyone else deserves to be respected for the work they are capable of doing, especially a health care provider.

Update (if anyone cares):  Since the last couple of days, things started happening.  One of the civilian medical job to work on the Army base finally got back to tell me that it was no longer available.  I chewed them out asking why they would post a job and make me chase wild gooses in order to even be told it no longer exists.  She was apologetic and explained that was just how the government works.  Then I slowly got responses back from some places on Indeed.com.  I applied for an HIV job and they wanted to know if I wanted to work in another state instead with chronic pain patients.  Um, Ok whatever -  I was willing to relocate to No Man's Land at this point.  Then, I tried more staffing agencies and I highly recommend the following: CompHealth, Soliant, and DocCafe.  All professional and prompt.  Avoid Maxim staffing.  Then the fiancee and I got into another stressed filled argument about how our future is going to look being separated, moving, her not being able to go back to school, etc.  Ugh.  I also submitted all the necessary paperwork for a residency program.  Then, I had went onto Craigslist again and saw an ad for a SNF.  The last, and one, interview I went to, was for a position at a SNF and was rejected because they went for someone else with more experience. But I still applied to this SNF job on Craigslist anyways. I got a response back the next day by the doc saying my resume was impressive - so, I ruled out that my CV wasn't the thing standing in the way of me getting work.  So, we arranged for a next day interview (today) and I was hired on the spot!  The job turns out to be in the same city and state - win!  I feel this is a good job because as we spoke, the doc was very compassionate about the elderly and teared up just talking about them.  I start next week!  Think I'll still keep my pizza delivery job though :)  It is nice to be grounded and have a mind numbing job eating pizzas.  Thanks to everyone's input - greatly appreciated.  Onward to paying rent, fixing my dog and making the future wife's school goals come true. 

I was hired on the spot!  The job turns out to be in the same city and state - win!  I feel this is a good job because as we spoke, the doc was very compassionate about the elderly and teared up just talking about them.  I start next week!  Think I'll still keep my pizza delivery job though :)  It is nice to be grounded and have a mind numbing job eating pizzas.  Thanks to everyone's input - greatly appreciated.  Onward to paying rent, fixing my dog and making the future wife's school goals come true. 

congrats on the new job!!!

as a side note, where can I find a job that pays me to eat pizzas?......:)

do I get a bonus if I try all the different toppings?

Guest Paula

Sure hope it all works out for you and your future wife and career.  Let us know how the job goes for you.  I do not know any PAs working in SNF so it would be interesting to hear of your experiences. 

Congrats on finding a job.

I ran into the same thing with 'no experience'.

PA jobs are HIGHLY dependent on experience and location. I live and work in Colorado where the demand for jobs is very high but the availability is low. I had only about 4-5 months of experience when I moved out here and it took me over 3 months to find work. I ended up at an Occ Med/UC clinic, which was one of the only places that would hire a new grad. I had a great CV too---first author pubs, honors awards, all certs and a good alma mater.

So yeah, they do really sell you hard on the "work anywhere" thing in school, but it can be tough as a new grad. It's that classic catch-22 of no experience, but no way to gain that experience.

Congrats on finding a job.

I ran into the same thing with 'no experience'.

PA jobs are HIGHLY dependent on experience  ...

So yeah, they do really sell you hard on the "work anywhere" thing in school, but it can be tough as a new grad. It's that classic catch-22 of no experience, but no way to gain that experience.

Exactly! This is the primary advantage of getting HCE as EMEDPA always mentions on here. This is a true disadvantage PA schools are doing now - allowing students in without HCE and this does more harm than good.

You see this happening more and more and you are prime example, Sam. PA schools should insist on having some structure in mandating HCE BEFORE applying to ANY PA schools.

It is “generally” more difficult to get a PA job this way as you saw it happening to you Sam firsthand. It is often a "catch-22" situation as Bruce said. You have a hard time getting a PA job unless you are experienced, and you can't get experience unless you have a job.

It is “generally” more difficult to get a PA job this way as you saw it happening to you Sam firsthand. It is often a "catch-22" situation as Bruce said. You have a hard time getting a PA job unless you are experienced, and you can't get experience unless you have a job.

The difficulty you're reading about from these two examples are because the OP was not really willing to move and brucebanner moved to a highly sought out location where employers have the choice to hire plenty of experienced PAs.  I'm sure it would have been much easier if he moved to rural Colorado.       

Guest Paula

^^^^^ Plus the OP was only a month out after passing PANCE.  It took me 5 months to find my first job after passing PANCE.   I was unable to move so applied for every job that was remotely something I wanted to do and was willing to travel up to 70 miles one way just to get employment.  

It all worked out. 

The difficulty you're reading about from these two examples are because the OP was not really willing to move and brucebanner moved to a highly sought out location where employers have the choice to hire plenty of experienced PAs.  I'm sure it would have been much easier if he moved to rural Colorado.       

Very true. There are plenty of high paying jobs in eastern and southwestern CO...but you know how that goes. Supply and demand.

Archived