To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.  I could really use any input.  I recently passed my board and am eager to start working.  The main attraction for choosing the PA profession was that "PAs can work anywhere."  Wrong.  Every employer asks for at least 1 year experience as a PA.  I'm beyond frustrated - how can I get experience working as a PA if no one wants to hire a brand new grad with 0 years in practice?  So, I tried to expand my net and searched for out of state work.  Again, another frustration - they want to their specific state license - aka money for their own state license.  How can I afford that license if I'm trying to look for work to pay off my student loans but no one wants to hire someone with no experience?  Money is down to the last wire and I've applied to many many places that I can't even keep count of how many CVs I've submitted.  Not to mention the frustration of creating a new profile, password, individual cover letters.  All I can think of is to apply to a residency program in order to get "experience and training."  Any inout would be appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Borrow more money.  You really have no other choice, do you?  One of the nice things about not going to PA school as a 20-something is that with an excellent credit history, I had a great credit rating and a lot of options for borrowing ridiculously inadvisable sums of money, which I never had to use.  You do at the very least have a credit card (ugh) with a few thousand dollars more you can borrow on it... right?

Oh, I wish I was a young 20 something but no, not the case.  I've borrowed from my family too much already and recently (today actually) went and started working delivering pizzas because I can't stomach the though of borrowing more money from my family.  I'm submitting my application in for a residency program next week.  Thanks EMED for the link...I'll take a look.  I'm in an huge city scape area which is known for it's saturations of hospitals and medical heads.

..and recently (today actually) went and started working delivering pizzas because I can't stomach the though of borrowing more money from my family....I'm in an huge city scape area which is known for it's saturations of hospitals and medical heads.

Whaaaaa? How many months out of school are you?

Pizza, I love pizzas, but you're a PA-C now. Be willing to move to the most rural/remote area possible and employ the skills & knowledge you've spent (presumably) the past 2-plus years accumulating. And make a PA salary while doing so.

There is need all over. Be willing to go anywhere, and you'll land a job.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I'm more than willing to travel anywhere for a job.  My concern is that 1) future employers may think (rightfully so) that I'm desperate? I mean, I have to write a cover letter stating why I particularly chose their clinic, right?  and 2) I just have to sell my fiance on the fact that we might have to move - especially to an area she's not cool with and that we have we put her dreams of starting school on hold.  Super sad and stressed about doing that to her.  I mean, we literally went from celebrating me passing the board to being in tears because I can't get a job.  I've even applied for ARNP jobs and jobs that say experience preferred.  I have extensive background in Psych but it seems as if people only want to hire Psych ARNPs - which there are TONS of jobs for.  But not Psych PAs.  I've applied to hospitals, clinics, Indian health centers, and even some Community Health Clinics which I would be perfect for but man, some ask for 4-5 years of experience!  I've used USA.gov in other states - again, need experience.  I can't keep up with the number of resumes I've submitted in the past month- in 1 weekend, I submitted 15 resumes.  Only got 1 call back. 

That's rough. Your experience is definitely atypical from all I've researched. Did you have any rotation sites that really liked you? Getting your foot in the door even part time is worth it.

As for "appearing desperate", just BS it. Make any excuse for why you're willing to locate there; friends, family, weather, w/e. Plus their wonderful practice of course. They don't know, maybe you're originally from there...

As for your fiancee, I have no experience there. I applied to PA schools across the country because I have nothing tying me down. I'll do the same when I apply for jobs. That's the trade off, and hopefully she'll understand your needs. Look at what you've invested in school and what you stand to gain in return with a PA job.

Sam,

Your story is quite atypical and it makes me wonder where you live. I also wonder if there is a problem with how you are coming across on your interviews.

Where are your old classmates finding jobs? Are you living very far from where you went to school? Do you have any contacts in the medical area where you live? Have you hooked up with anyone who is a PA in your area? Do you belong to your state association? If you are in a city of any size, there is probably at least one -- and probably a lot more -- jobs you could get. Unfortunately there is no system that matches up people with jobs so you usually have to do it the old fashioned way: taking advantage of who you know to get you where you want to be.

Sounding desperate isn't a good start. Get enough money -- borrow, deliver pizzas, whatever -- to last you for a while and always have $100 in your wallet so you don't feel desperate. Think about how you can help your employer more than how their cash could help you. And network to beat the band!

Good luck. You stand where so many others have, regardless of their career field. You won't fail until you give up, so don't.

UGoLong, I wish I was even getting one interview.  I live in a big city and went to a top notch medical school where everyone is vying to get into. My school is known for its pre-reqs being one of having many years of direct patient care.  Unlike my classmates, I did mental health - they did nursing, EMT, athletic training.  Upon graduation, they went right back into what they were doing - except they are now PAs instead.  A lot of my classmates are from the area.  If they're not, they moved back to where they came from and got jobs there.  As for me, I'm atypical because I've traveled so much with the miliatry, I don't really belong anywhere.  And I'm not getting any mental health jobs - I've applied for Psych ARNPs jobs just to be told by one that they only want ARNPs.  So, Im assuming the rest are not even calling because I'm not an ARNP.  I've applied directly to hospitals even when it said on their website "At least 1 year minimum in so and so field."

I've called the places I've applied to even see they recieved my CV only to 1) not have anyone answer EVER or 2) to listen to a long message about how there are tons of applicants and they will only call those back they are interested in or 3) told by one recruiter that their hiring process takes 9 months and again, there are hundreds of aplicants ahead of me.  I was able to speak with one recruiter who basically said "You have no experience but I'll go ahead and forward your resume to the neurosurg department."  No call back.  How do PAs get experience as PAs if they can't get hired?

No, I don't belong to a state association - good idea, I'll look into that. 

I would do the following if I were in your shoes in addition to what you are doing now:

1. Network with people from your PA program (faculty, classmates, alumni)

2. Hire a professional resume writer to ensure my resume / CV is up to par

3. Find temporary employment / staffing agencies and meet with them personally

4. Apply for a position via National Health Service Corps https://nhsc.hrsa.gov

5. Go to toastmasters and brush up on my interviewing skills

6. Setup appointments with the directors of various hospitals / departments and inquire about the hospital and then ask what type of applicant they are looking for and what you can personally do to accomplish that

7. Network with any previous employer or PA / Physician you shadowed prior to PA school.

8. Reach out to your state PA association for help

9. Reach out to the AAPA for help

10. Look for a government job

11. Look for a job within the prison system

12. There's always the military

These aren't in any specific order. Just what popped in my head as I was writing this.

Best of luck!

If you don't stay stuck on psych/location there seem to be tons of people willing to hire new grads from my limited experience, and not just in bfe.. I just started looking and am still 5 months out from graduation but have gotten some call backs from CVs and recruiters bugging me. Most of these jobs are not dream jobs but i would certainly take them in a pinch and many are in decent sized cities.

I might suggest some cold calls and not relying on just job postings. My most exciting prospect so far I got from just looking up every practice in the area I want to work and emailing/faxing/mailing my cv to them. Got a call back from one that has a provider leaving around when i graduate.

good luck with your search!

Hi Timon, thanks for your input.  I will consider having someone look over again at my CV and cover - however, the CV was created with input by a faculty member and the cover was helped with a writer and detective married to a lawyer. I've looked into staffing agencies such as CompHealth and Maxim.  Was being helped by a recruiter at CompHealth and he would call nonstop.  Finally set up an interview.  After the interview in which the employer wanted pre-natal health (I have no experience in prenatal health - again, this experience thing), the staff at CompHealth disappeared off the face of the earth.  I called and called and emailed - no response.  What the heck is going on?  Tried Maxim and am waiting for one of my reference to complete his end of the deal - so just waiting.  As for suggestions #10-12, yep - done that as well.  I have experience in government and prison system and mental health - no calls.  As for military - yup, tried that as well.  Was told by Navy that there are no openings for civilian PAs.  Tried the Army who told me to go National Guard.  Called National Guard to be told that it takes about a year to finish paperwork.  It must be Murphy's Law.  Really - because I've done literally all I can think of and I run into weird scenarios like the ones I just wrote.

At this point, call every Doc-in-the-Box in your maximum drivable radius. Those places always seem to be hiring.

You don't want to stay there long, just until you land a desirable gig. But at least it's cash in your pocket.

Occ Med clinics as well, even though many of the larger ones now seem to be promoting themselves as Occ Med/UC.  For what it's worth, I can somewhat relate with your situation.  I'm being somewhat selective with what I've applied for and have 30 years experience (I know it's an old song but I have the BS only and many are now looking for MS degrees minimum in my large metro area).  The large institutions, including the local med school, don't respond to applications (except on one occasion for IR and I deferred to a closer opportunity that went belly up that I'm still kicking myself over) and it can't be anything negative based on having known me because they don't.  I have a good friend who oversees HR for a local campus of a statewide university system (HR director) and she's looked at my CV and says it's fine, as have some potential employers who take the time to send a rejection letter stating how impressive the CV is.  Who knows....  My mindset is that the opportunity that I am meant to take just hasn't presented itself yet otherwise I would be there (faith can be very helpful).

I truly appreciate all of the input - will digest and see what I come up with.  In the meantime, I'm putting in my application for a surgical residency program on Monday and later today, off to start delivering pizzas.  A side note, I wouldn't be so stressed out if I didn't have personal issues to deal with (medical urgency issues, and my sweet dog maybe having cancer as a worse case scenario).  But that's not meant to be a sob story - just trying to give a back story and why I am delivering pizzas.  However, I like to pat myself on the back for passing the PANCE the first time - didn't really get a chance to celebrate yet.  But life comes at you in waves - just riding this out.  Again, thank you.  I will post an update as soon as good news happen.  Proud to be a PA-C. 

As my grandmother always says, "and this too shall pass".

It's hard when all those things converge at once, but it will subside. Good on you for your passing score, when you get your first big paycheck, go have that celebration dinner!

Guest Paula

Are you a veteran?  I would think you could get a job with the VA or BOP as there seems to be a big push to help veterans with admission to PA programs and ultimately with getting vets placed in jobs.  With a background in mental health the VA would be an ideal place to start if you want to specialize in psychiatry.   My newly graduated NP friend who now has her MHNP designation in working at the VA.  It took several months to get the credentialing done. 

Archived