I am starting PA school in June, and am currently taking general biology 1 (ending in May) and working part time. (This course isn't a prereq I'm required to complete). However, if I dropped it, I would get a "W". I have heard different opinions on what to do before school starts (i.e. relax, family, friends, vacation, leisure reading, brush up on your A&P, etc.)

It has been 5+ years since I've taken anatomy, physiology, and micro. I'm concerned whether or not I should spend the rest of my time before school reviewing that material since I'm kind of rusty...and DROP my biology course? Or, should I KEEP my biology class while studying A&P as well? Do you think I can use a lot of the material I learn in bio to help with my PA classes or not?

The last thing I want is to have study burnout or not be prepared before the program begins!!

Also, any other tips/suggestions about how to prepare or what to do before PA school would be great!

YOUR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!!!

Quick question, is the gen bio 1 not a requirement of your matriculation into the PA program or have you satisfied it some other way? Also, some schools require A&P to be recent (<5 years old). As it is one of the more readily applicable prereqs.

I'd say try to relax overall, prepare your body and spirit...for war. :)

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

You are probably a nervous wreck like many of us when we started school. Anatomy in PA school was an order of magnitude more difficult for me than the prereq course. I think you should use you time now to relax, get your ducks in a row, see family, etc.

If it's been 5+ years since you had anatomy, I'd spend some of that time curled up with a good anatomy book. I'd pick up a copy of Grant's Dissector and a good anatomy atlas and work your way through the body. Grant's walks you through the dissection process in the same order we did it in PA school and, using a companion atlas of some kind, you can reacquaint yourself with the body.

Don't sweat most of the other subjects you took in the past. You'll come up to speed on them again soon enough.

Good luck!

PACdan

Quick question, is the gen bio 1 not a requirement of your matriculation into the PA program or have you satisfied it some other way? Also, some schools require A&P to be recent (<5 years old). As it is one of the more readily applicable prereqs.

I'd say try to relax overall, prepare your body and spirit...for war. :)

PACdan, gen bio 1 it is not a requirement for the school I am . However, I began taking the course this semester just as a backup in case I didn't get in this year and could use it for other schools in the future. Have you already started PA school or starting soon? What did you do before??....(work, study, brush up A&P, etc)??

You are probably a nervous wreck like many of us when we started school. Anatomy in PA school was an order of magnitude more difficult for me than the prereq course. I think you should use you time now to relax, get your ducks in a row, see family, etc.

If it's been 5+ years since you had anatomy, I'd spend some of that time curled up with a good anatomy book. I'd pick up a copy of Grant's Dissector and a good anatomy atlas and work your way through the body. Grant's walks you through the dissection process in the same order we did it in PA school and, using a companion atlas of some kind, you can reacquaint yourself with the body.

Don't sweat most of the other subjects you took in the past. You'll come up to speed on them again soon enough.

Good luck!

UGoLong, yes I am very nervous!!! >< I just want to make sure I'm prepared and lessen the impact of the feelings of drowning when I start. 

Thanks for the book tip! Would you also advise on physio and micro brushup, or even I don't know, say, pharmacology? 

PACdan

PACdan, gen bio 1 it is not a requirement for the school I am . However, I began taking the course this semester just as a backup in case I didn't get in this year and could use it for other schools in the future. Have you already started PA school or starting soon? What did you do before??....(work, study, brush up A&P, etc)??

I start this summer. I'm using the time beforehand to make sure I'm comfortably set-up and ready for the next 2.5 rigorous years. There will be lots of studying/reading after class and on weekends once school begins.

For now, try to relax and center yourself, prepare your mind and body...for war. :)

If you haven't taken a pathophysiology class, then getting a good patho text to read might be a good choice. I would wait on pharmacology - they teach that really well in most PA programs. Physio will come back from what they'll teach you plus any new exposure to patho. Micro is probably not worth reviewing at this point.

Again, don't drive yourself crazy! That will happen soon enough!

I am starting PA school in June, and am currently taking general biology 1 (ending in May) and working part time. (This course isn't a prereq I'm required to complete). However, if I dropped it, I would get a "W". I have heard different opinions on what to do before school starts (i.e. relax, family, friends, vacation, leisure reading, brush up on your A&P, etc.)

It has been 5+ years since I've taken anatomy, physiology, and micro. I'm concerned whether or not I should spend the rest of my time before school reviewing that material since I'm kind of rusty...and DROP my biology course? Or, should I KEEP my biology class while studying A&P as well? Do you think I can use a lot of the material I learn in bio to help with my PA classes or not?

The last thing I want is to have study burnout or not be prepared before the program begins!!

Also, any other tips/suggestions about how to prepare or what to do before PA school would be great!

YOUR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!!!

I personally would drop it. Your already in the program this means nothing. If your worried about residency, well don't be. A "W" in general bio will not matter after you've completed a program. A doctorate? Also doubt it will matter. Use your time more wisely than by taking a general bio, which will not help you in any way shape or form!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally would drop it. Your already in the program this means nothing. If your worried about residency, well don't be. A "W" in general bio will not matter after you've completed a program. A doctorate? Also doubt it will matter. Use your time more wisely than by taking a general bio, which will not help you in any way shape or form!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input ARIED! That is what I was most concerned about....whether or not bio will have any benefit towards what I will be studying in the first few quarters. I'm sure there will be a few concepts that would be, however, I'd imagine A&P would be more useful to study at this point. I'm not planning on any sort of doctorates, but I may do a residency in the future. 

Thanks for your input ARIED! That is what I was most concerned about....whether or not bio will have any benefit towards what I will be studying in the first few quarters. I'm sure there will be a few concepts that would be, however, I'd imagine A&P would be more useful to study at this point. I'm not planning on any sort of doctorates, but I may do a residency in the future. 

...and some residency programs require your undergrad transcripts.  I couldn't tell you how much they weigh them, but they are required for a reason.  Just food for thought.

...and some residency programs require your undergrad transcripts.  I couldn't tell you how much they weigh them, but they are required for a reason.  Just food for thought.

Have you applied to/done any residencies that required them? Wouldn't they put more weight on your PA school transcripts?

when I applied for my doctorate program 4 years ago they required transcripts for every class at every institution I had ever attended. that was 6 places, including a community college course I took as a junior in high school.

EMEDPA, there are doctorate programs for PA's? At most, I plan on maybe doing a surgery or dermatology residence.

EMEDPA, there are doctorate programs for PA's? At most, I plan on maybe doing a surgery or dermatology residence.

Plans change over time, so you never know what you may end up wanting to do.  Ultimately, finishing that bio course is probably not going to be a huge help in PA school.  However, if you do decide to pursue additional degrees or postgraduate training you don't want an adcom to think "so and so doesn't always finish what they start."  I'm not saying that's how it would play out but there's no reason to risk it.  My suggestion is to finish the class and pick up an A&P text or the anat/phys 'made ridiculously simple' books and just browse through them if you really want to study ahead.

I recommend that you have a good reason for what you do -- whatever it is -- and try not to dwell on all the other interpretations of your actions that others could potentially have.

Hmm, what might an adcom think if I eat this cheeseburger?.....

They'll think you should have brought enough to share.  That would demonstrate an uncaring nature and be worthy of a rejection. :)

Plans change over time, so you never know what you may end up wanting to do.  Ultimately, finishing that bio course is probably not going to be a huge help in PA school.  However, if you do decide to pursue additional degrees or postgraduate training you don't want an adcom to think "so and so doesn't always finish what they start."  I'm not saying that's how it would play out but there's no reason to risk it.  My suggestion is to finish the class and pick up an A&P text or the anat/phys 'made ridiculously simple' books and just browse through them if you really want to study ahead.

Good point, thanks for your input!!

Archived