PA to NP

Guest Paula

Was being facetious regarding the above post that quoted "under the supervision of the surgeon or Cardiothoracic Surgical Nurse Practitioner."

But it is something of concern when a job for a PA states they will be under the supervision of an NP.  My prediction has come true.  They might really mean the NP is the clinic manager and the PA is supervised by them for non-medical stuff.....like approving a vacation request, even tho in context it doesn't appear that way.  

PAs will someday be supervised by DNPs.  We are assistants and you know what that implies. 

I would have a field day with the lawsuit that would follow an NP medically supervising a PA. If NPs practice "nursing" and not medicine then they are not equipped or legally eligible to supervise a person in medical practice. If they ever tried they would finally give the AMA the clear opening they have wanted to say NPs actually practice medicine and need to be brought under the oversight of the BOM. That would be an entertaining fight, and one of the few I think the nursing lobby would actually lose as it would be done in the court room and not the legislature.

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

It's now 2021 and NP's have run the full gambit!!  If you've noticed in the employment ads, PA's are an afterthought!!! Oh, NP'and maybe PA's!!

I've been aPA for more than 25 years and this change has been coming down the pipeline for quite some time!! Where has our elustrious/ elusive AAPA been?  Nowhere to be found!! The PA profession as seen will shortly come to a screeching halt!! We're floundering around right now!  Who cares about a name change if it also doesn't come with much needed autonomy!!! By the way, they've been playing with this same name change for 20-30 years!!  At one time we did have independence prescription pads with just our name on it...... what happened to that!!

We are going the way of the dinosaur...... sad, very sad!!  The AAPA should be extremely ashamed of itself to let this happen to our profession.....

• Upvote 1

If you want to place the bulk of the blame look at your colleagues. AAPA has pushed title change and FPAR about as hard as they can.

The HOD, which makes most of these decisions, has half stepped or rear marched non-stop. Full practice authority? Oh that's too scary....lets call it something that isn't so aggressive. Title change to a new title that would be all ours and get us out of the shadow of physicians? Oh no....too scary. Lets be physician associates. They'll like that. They don't. We are getting the same amount of push back we would get if we called ourselves "the other doctors." 

We can't get out of our own way and that's the 2% of us who have any awareness of what is driving our professional future. The rest are oblivious and don't, and won't care until it affects them personally and then they will want SOMEBODY TO DO SOMETHING! Are they members of their societies? no.... do they give to their state and national PAC? no....  Prior to the meltdown did they keep abreast of what was happening in healthcare? No.....

We have met the enemy and he is us.

We are cowards

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, sas5814 said:

If you want to place the bulk of the blame look at your colleagues. AAPA has pushed title change and FPAR about as hard as they can.

The HOD, which makes most of these decisions, has half stepped or rear marched non-stop. Full practice authority? Oh that's too scary....lets call it something that isn't so aggressive. Title change to a new title that would be all ours and get us out of the shadow of physicians? Oh no....too scary. Lets be physician associates. They'll like that. They don't. We are getting the same amount of push back we would get if we called ourselves "the other doctors." 

We can't get out of our own way and that's the 2% of us who have any awareness of what is driving our professional future. The rest are oblivious and don't, and won't care until it affects them personally and then they will want SOMEBODY TO DO SOMETHING! Are they members of their societies? no.... do they give to their state and national PAC? no....  Prior to the meltdown did they keep abreast of what was happening in healthcare? No.....

We have met the enemy and he is us.

We are cowards

Agree 100%.

I will say it again, I will be retired and working as a golf Marshall when the lion's share of PA's graduating with $100k of school loan debt can't find jobs.  I cry for them.  I rant for them....and yet nothing.  The expert consultants that WE PAID FOR tell us that "physician associate" is a WASTE of time and money...yet the profession does not listen.  They tell us that Medical Care Practitioner is what we should strive for...yet the profession does not listen.

Even PAFT betrayed us and the profession.  They are now just AAPA monkeys who will wither and die on the vine.  Their lack of courage doomed them.

At this point I think a concerted campaign should be waged to try and keep people from joining this profession, lest they suffer the consequences.     It's such a damn shame.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
11 hours ago, ventana said:

should PAFT reach out to the nursing profession and start a formal talk for PA-->NP???

Not likely to happen.  FPAR was a PAFT initiative, OTP is the watered down translation. What do you think we're going to be doing now that (love it or hate it), we're Physician Associates?

• Like 1

I can't imagine NPs wanting to absorb PAs, especially if they were to read Huddle.. 

They have a whole different mindset starting from being an RN - even though they carry out provider orders; they work under their own license and are not anyone's assistant or associate. Some PAs have oedipus complex with their SPs

Edited by iconic

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Joelseff said:

We will continue to look like the third stringers... 

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on what we see happening in the states.  NPs are gaining independent practice; so are we... we're just starting farther behind and have some dead weight in leadership positions.

If you want to go get an NP, go for it.  If you want to stay and fight for our profession, please do. The pessimists see each 'Physician Associate' bill as an opportunity for others to restrict us.  That's a stupid and paranoid view, as I can't recall anywhere where PAs lost ground they already had when reopening our practice laws. I see that state by state, we have an opportunity to do good each time we inquire: remove paperwork burdens and pointless oversight, gain our own supervisory boards, eliminate high-stakes testing... Heck, some states don't even have schedule 2.  What the heck is going on with that?

There's work to be done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I work in both OR and WA. Both passed new legislation. The OR law is awesome, but for me personally nothing will change as far as I can tell. Due to the new WA law, I no longer need a backup SP listed at one of my jobs(the other already did not require one)  , so that opens up a lot more opportunities to work at that facility. 

I am jumping ship from one state - to another - a large part of this decision was the practice environment.

The one I am leaving has okay laws, but sucks the life out of you

The one I am going to - you need a relationship with a doc, and that is it.  Nothing more........  in essence independent.... 

This legal stuff matters, and hoping the state I am leaving realizes they have to change

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Cideous said:

Wait for it, Texas is next.  NP's gonna get independent practice and that will complete the Flordia, California, Texas trifecta.  Or as I like to call it....Checkmate.

I think of the big 4 as Florida, Texas, California, New York. I think NY is independent now but only after 3+ yrs of practice under a physician.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:09 AM, rev ronin said:

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on what we see happening in the states.  NPs are gaining independent practice; so are we... we're just starting farther behind and have some dead weight in leadership positions.

If you want to go get an NP, go for it.  If you want to stay and fight for our profession, please do. The pessimists see each 'Physician Associate' bill as an opportunity for others to restrict us.  That's a stupid and paranoid view, as I can't recall anywhere where PAs lost ground they already had when reopening our practice laws. I see that state by state, we have an opportunity to do good each time we inquire: remove paperwork burdens and pointless oversight, gain our own supervisory boards, eliminate high-stakes testing... Heck, some states don't even have schedule 2.  What the heck is going on with that?

There's work to be done.

I hear ya Rev... I'm not on the "PA to NP" bunch as I'd just stay a PA until I retire or die but unless our leadership and our collective body wakes up we'll be fighting for a place at the table forever. 

Edited by Joelseff