PA to NP

I'm a PA of 5 years in a very PA unfriendly state and NPs are independent. I was an RN before becoming a PA and have kept my license active. Was wondering if anyone has attended NP school after PA? Just curious how admissions looked at it and how clinicals went. Maybe some tips on what to say when asked why the transition. The real reason being I've become exhausted with the "supervisory" relationship and considering opening a clinic. Not looking for a debate, just some people with experience.

• Upvote 1

It's a sad commentary on the PA profession when we consider NP school.  I do however support someone who needs more autonomy and has the ambition to start their own clinic AND has the PA experience and education.  Good luck in your search for becoming an NP and possibly you could consider the PA-DO program at LECOM and become truly independent as a physician.  

It's a sad commentary on the PA profession when we consider NP school. I do however support someone who needs more autonomy and has the ambition to start their own clinic AND has the PA experience and education. Good luck in your search for becoming an NP and possibly you could consider the PA-DO program at LECOM and become truly independent as a physician.

A while back, I think, we had a half serious duscussion here about a PA-NP bridge. If it were merely a few months of online classes and a multiple choice test i'd do it in a heartbeat. A Clinician with PA training and NP clout, boy that'd be somethin'

Sent by my Samsung S4 Active via Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

I'm a PA of 5 years in a very PA unfriendly state and NPs are independent. I was an RN before becoming a PA and have kept my license active. Was wondering if anyone has attended NP school after PA? Just curious how admissions looked at it and how clinicals went. Maybe some tips on what to say when asked why the transition. The real reason being I've become exhausted with the "supervisory" relationship and considering opening a clinic. Not looking for a debate, just some people with experience.

I doubt you'd have any problems with admissions.  If you are asked why you want to be an NP, tell them you want more independence - they would probably like that.

I believe my friend did this at davis when they were a combined pa/np program. he had to take a few nursing theory classes over a year or so.

Being able to skip clinicals would be highly unusual.  Obviously, there is little need for an experienced PA to take the clinical courses in say, an FNP program, but for accreditation purposes, most, if not all schools, could not waive the requirements.  Also, in other NP specialties, there is no corollary to the clinical portion of PA programs. I could see how UC Davis could have done it back in the day for FNP, but I don't believe they have a combined program anymore.

• Upvote 1

I really think that we should unify the licensing boards of both the pa and nps under one licensing board (not unifying the profession but just licensing boards) that way we get out of being under the medical board and lobby together with Np for collaboration and independence. And this unified licensing board would be responsible for accrediting  and regulating pa and np programs and lobbying for mid level providers rights. Because honestly as Pas, i dont think we will ever have a strong lobbying group that nurses have unfortunately. And the bottom line in this country is legislation.  

I really think that we should unify the licensing boards of both the pa and nps under one licensing board (not unifying the profession but just licensing boards) that way we get out of being under the medical board and lobby together with Np for collaboration and independence.

I don't think the nurses will go along with this. :)

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I don't think the nurses will go along with this. :)

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I agree but we should try. I know so many NP whom dont mind being unified under one board. They will gain more strength. But if it doesnt workout then we should leave medical board and form our own and try to lobby for independence and collaboration

I believe the AAPA needs to review the political landscape, state to state.

They need to establish the doctorate as entry level for the same reasons every other allied health profession did. 

Identify a politically favorable environment (a few states)

Channel funding for lobbying efforts into these state(s) for independence, separate boards, ect. 

Once successful, I suspect state to state legislation will manifest accordingly. 

That's essentially how the NPs went about it.  Now efforts are underway in all states. 

(A name change should be part of the process.  I believe well written legislation at the state level can avoid many of the issues with federally funded programs).

• Upvote 2

EMEDPA, by the time all this gets worked out, you, I, and several of the older folks will be sitting beachside soaking up the sun (or maybe off on a mission trip if anyone would have us).

yup, I don't see full independent practice during my career but some of the younger guys coming out of residency now will probably see it.

I think we will see collaboration replacing supervision across the board within 15 years.

What is the difference b/t collaboration and supervision?

And I think we could avoid degree creep if the AMA et al would assist PAs with a bridge to MD that gives us appropriate credit for our current training and education. 

I also agree that NP's will never supervise us, wouldn't make sense, but my point was I don't believe NPs have any meaningful interest in helping us with our own political motivations.  On some level, they see us as direct competition. 

• Upvote 1

I believe the AAPA needs to review the political landscape, state to state.

They need to establish the doctorate as entry level for the same reasons every other allied health profession did. 

Identify a politically favorable environment (a few states)

Channel funding for lobbying efforts into these state(s) for independence, separate boards, ect. 

Once successful, I suspect state to state legislation will manifest accordingly. 

That's essentially how the NPs went about it.  Now efforts are underway in all states. 

(A name change should be part of the process.  I believe well written legislation at the state level can avoid many of the issues with federally funded programs).

Michigan is attempting to do exactly what you have posted except for doctorate.  The legislation is languishing and I suspect it is because the NPs have their own for complete independence.  PAs is for collaboration, suspend supervision and delegation, require to work in collaborative team models (which would include NPs to work that way as well.......and is the downfall of the bill).  It would give all PAs and NPs full prescribing rights without physician delegation. Also give PAs and NPs our own boards.  A sweet deal......but don't think it will happen....yet.   WIsh we had AAPA money behind us and the ability to change the bill before it went before the public health code committee and governor.  I'm very frustrated with the whole process.    I will be retired too before meaningful "autonomy"occurs but will keep pushing for the younger and newly graduated PAs and the profession. 

It's a shame that AAPA is nowhere to be found

AAPA should be dumping every resource they have into this bill

Ultimately, it would create momentum and positive change in all states

It's very good news that Michigan has it figured out with folks willing to fight

And even more noble that your willing to fight for younger generations of PAs