New Doctor of Physician Assistant Medicine Program

Here you have it, from the heart of central Virginia:

"Upon completion of the MPAM, qualified students will have the option to continue in the Doctor of Physician Assistant Medicine (DPAM) program for nine months. The DPAM clinical fellowship will provide students with invaluable exposure to selected specialty areas in health care including, but not limited to, family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine or surgery over a nine month term. Those who enroll in the DPAM will begin their instruction shortly after the master program and will complete 34 credits that combines the clinical fellowship with continued didactic instruction. The doctoral coursework will include organizational behavior and leadership, health care administration, global health, disaster medicine, health care law and doctoral research."

https://www.lynchburg.edu/department-physician-assistant-medicine

Nice, though the term assistant (presently) lingers.   Hmmm, lots of questions.... Yet, perhaps a stone or two has been laid that helps to establish a viable pathway interested and seasoned PAs to transition to physician, especially in light of the recent WHO position papers to award proper credit for prior medical education and reduce US recruitment of foreign physicians.  Which medical school(s) will rise to the occasion and call?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how I feel about this.

Lynchburg isn't even operating a successful PA program yet, and they're already implementing a Doctor of Physician Assistant Medicine? Seems a bit presumptuous to me.

Also, what does this Doctorate grant? It's not an MD/DO degree, it won't alter medical privileges.

Sounds like more school for a fancy title that does nothing.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

A doctorate opens many doors. Gives higher ranking in military and higher GS scale at the VA. Not to mention the number of admin opportunities that will open up in every other job. Can't tell you how often NPs are offered jobs over PAs just because the NP has a doctorate. Plus, there is extra course work in specialty areas. So if for no other reason, better job offers.

Based on the title of this thread, I was expecting a TheOnion.com article.

I don't know how I feel about this.

Lynchburg isn't even operating a successful PA program yet, and they're already implementing a Doctor of Physician Assistant Medicine? Seems a bit presumptuous to me.

Also, what does this Doctorate grant? It's not an MD/DO degree, it won't alter medical privileges.

Sounds like more school for a fancy title that does nothing.

This is not unlike the PTs moving to the DPT.  Doesn't do much of anything other than costing more.  But unfortunately it's a game of public perception.  If every other provider a patient sees is a "Doctor" and you as a PA aren't a Doctor, then you run the risk of not being taken as seriously.  And this isn't just patients not taking you seriously, but legislators as well.  This one-upsmanship is probably inevitable. 

Edit: having re-read the OP, at least some of this add'l coursework appears to be clinically oriented and not just some online fluff.

I don't want to see PAs fall into the trap of Nursing Doctorates. I understand the financial implications (especially the extra money to be made for schools) but talk about confusing a patient population that is still not completely acquainted with PAs...

Now you'll have Dr. Joe, PA running around? They better not whip that "Dr." out in a clinical setting.

I would rather see successful bridge programs develop for those that are interested/need to be called "doctor".

I support it.  PAs will benefit and I believe it will eventually lead to us being autonomous providers who work collaboratively with physicians.  Progress is inevitable and let's get on board with it.  I hope the university gets its accreditation. 

P.S. The director of the program is part of PAFT

Ok I looked at it. I do see the medical director is a DO, PA (I have a lofty goal of holding a similar post one of these days). I just don't know enough about the program yet to render an impression except that it's ballsy and I think the title sucks. Come on, "physician assistant medicine"? That sounds to me as though PAs practice a special kind of medicine, different from physicians. And I don't believe that's true.

Ok I looked at it. I do see the medical director is a DO, PA (I have a lofty goal of holding a similar post one of these days). I just don't know enough about the program yet to render an impression except that it's ballsy and I think the title sucks. Come on, "physician assistant medicine"? That sounds to me as though PAs practice a special kind of medicine, different from physicians. And I don't believe that's true.

Yeah, maybe a better or unique title for the degree is in order. DPAM if you say it too much sounds like DAMN.  What would you propose?  I'm still thinking. Doctorate of Medical Practitioner? DMP.

Dee-PAM! I imagine Emeril Lagasse throwing a handful of seasoning into a pot of jambalaya while saying that.

"Physician Assistant Medicine" is an absurd concept.

The only reason I, personally, would like the title of doctor would be so I wouldn't have to explain my damn job every day. But in that case, a DPAM would not help me at all. And I couldn't use it clinically, anyway. So yeah, no. Not for me, anyway.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: if I wanted to be a doctor, I would have gotten an MD already. I believe in the role of PAs. If you're gonna spend 4 years in graduate training, just become a physician!

I laughed so hard when i saw the name of this thread. thank you op, that aside i do hope it opens doors for sensible bridge programs which is, in my  utmost humble opinion, the only way for this profession

There's a new PA degree in town, and its name is "Doctor."  The U.S. Army and Baylor University have created the first clinical doctorate degree for PAs. Army PAs will receive a doctor of science physician assistant (DScPA) degree after successfully completing an 18-month residency in emergency medicine at Brooke Army Medical Center at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

Taking PA Education To The Next Level

Why not Doctorate of Medical Science (DMS)?  There is already the Masters of Medical Science (MMS).  Seems like a better title in my humble opinion. Seems like it would apply to more leadership positions for PAs. (Kinda wish it didn't require the GRE)

yup, DMS would be the way to go.

(FWIW I know of another program in development which will use this title).

I laughed so hard when i saw the name of this thread. thank you op, that aside i do hope it opens doors for sensible bridge programs which is, in my  utmost humble opinion, the only way for this profession

This.  I think I pondered many years ago on this forum about the absurdity of someone being a "Doctor of Physician Assisting".  And now it's almost a reality.  

Just a big, giant "face-palm" is all I think when I read this

the name is ridiculous.

and my young relative just completed a Doctor of Physical Therapy at Boston university .... Her PT doctorate alone gave her 180K debt .... She is making 70K a year .....   Degree creep can give a profession a certain level of respect ..... It can also ruin the profession ....  I doubt she will ever be donating the a PT political action fund .... And she will probably be willing to take low ball salaries/offers just to start paying back loans. People do not realize that 180K in loans is perhaps 500K in pay back over a 15 year period.

As I re-read the website it seems that this program is only available to students graduating from the Lynchburg.  Are there are other programs in the works for PAs that already hold Masters level degrees? Nine months to get a Doctorate level degree seems like a good format.  Nebraska? St. Francis? will others jump on the train?

Are Residency programs or Fellowships able to confer doctoral degrees? Must they be associated with an academic institution? Just thinking outside the box about what options there are for those of us applying to PA programs now. 

As I re-read the website it seems that this program is only available to students graduating from the Lynchburg.  Are there are other programs in the works for PAs that already hold Masters level degrees? Nine months to get a Doctorate level degree seems like a good format.  Nebraska? St. Francis? will others jump on the train?

Are Residency programs or Fellowships able to confer doctoral degrees? Must they be associated with an academic institution? Just thinking outside the box about what options there are for those of us applying to PA programs now. 

I'm sure the "degree completion" programs won't be far behind.  And I wondered the same thing myself: shouldn't then a 1-yr residency qualify one for a Doctorate?

Archived