SEMPA 2014 Planning: N'awlins or bust!

On board for the above - y'all just pick a time, and Jimani it is!  I only just started reading the board again, but several of you (Febrifuge, TA) have been around since I was a wee pre-PA.   Looking forward to meeting everyone.  

Out of curiosity - anyone else taking the CAQ while they're down there?  Any of you who have taken it already have wisdom/guidance for those of us who are planning to - within the bounds of what you are allowed to divulge, of course?!?  I'm just  shy of 3 years out of school and have been in the ED the whole time at a Level 1 academic trauma center which has been a good place to learn.  Worked as an ED tech beforehand, have met all the basic requirements, feel reasonably well prepared but every day I'm confronted with how much there is to learn in EM!  Had considered waiting longer, but made the most sense career-wise to go ahead and take it.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning, everyone.

This is the part of the conference when I realize I only remember what one or two of y'all look like,

For what it's worth, today I'm carrying around my black raincoat and my black-and-tan messenger bag. I've got a striped blue shirt on. I'm white, middle-sized, and bald. Feel free to say hi.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it'd be worth it, particularly because your CME should more than cover the whole virtual conference.  I believe you can get something like 26 hours of Cat 1 CME from it.  And yes, there were some stellar lectures this year.  Rick Cantor's lectures were worth the price of admission on their own

I got some random email from NCCPA saying the status of my CAQ app had "been updated" a few days after getting back - at first I thought they might have already posted the results, but that seemed way too soon!  Logged to NCCPA and the CAQ section on only to find no changes/updates that I could note.   Called NCCPA to ask if I was missing something, person I spoke with there wasn't sure why the email went out but thought it might be something that was just triggered/sent automatically to all applicants.  When I then asked her when we might be able to expect to hear something, she said results should be back in "about a month."  The printout from Pearson & their website had both said December which threw me for a loop - I think that's just the default for folks that take it in Sept, though.  

• 1 month later...

Hey, just want everyone I met at SEMPA to know I got a very nice job offer at an ED in Oregon though contacts I made at the conference.  Not sure if I am going to take it as it will be very tough for my wife to find work there (small town), and we still really want to go to Alaska (and I unofficially have an FM job lined up in anchorage) but I am excited nonetheless.  Thanks again for all the advice and the good company.

The nice thing is that it pays well enough I could take the job even without the wife employed.  Even so, we have dreamed of living in AK, and now is the best chance we would ever have of doing it (no house, no kids, changing jobs/location anyways).  The AK FM job is urgent care/PC mix and would be a 4 day work week.  If/When we move back to the lower 48 I can pretty easily go back to trying to work in EM, where as if I give up living in Alaska to do EM now, I may never get the chance to live in AK.

Dunno though, have a month to make a decision so we shall see, I may still take it.  #Firstworldproblems

Archived