SEMPA 2014 Planning: N'awlins or bust!

It may be a little early, but let's brainstorm some ways to make that CME money stretch farther, thus freeing up cash for amazing dinners.

The negotiated rate of $189 for the Marriott is decent... but I'll be staying two blocks away at the St. James Hotel, for less than $100 a night. And I get included continental breakfast brought to my room, and a nice little balcony overlooking either the city or the courtyard.

Any other hacks, tips, or hints?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not going to sempa this year but one word of advice- you must eat at the red fish grill. one of the best meals I have ever had. don't even think about skipping a side of the red beans and rice with whatever else you get.

I was in new orleans last year for the 1st PAFT mtg.

http://www.redfishgrill.com/

I will be going to aapa in boston this year as I have family there to stay with.

• 3 weeks later...

Not nearly as active on this site as I used to be, but I still check in every now and again!  Will be attending SEMPA in March for the first time and taking the CAQ on the 28th - staying in the conference hotel with a good friend who's an EM NP.  In the process of scouting out food/drink and other spots down there now - a meet-up sounds like a great idea...

Okay, so Redfish Grill is going to happen.

I've also been told by those familiar with the city that you're a sucker tourist if you take any random person on the street up on their offers to "bet you a dollar" anything. Just smile, shake your head, and keep walking.

True Anomaly, I've gotten a lot more into bourbon this past year, to the point where I want to punch myself for not being all that curious about the Pappy Van Winkle you were chasing down in Vegas. I bet somebody in New Orleans would have something tasty behind the bar.

also if you want to hear jazz you need to look off bourbon street. I made the mistake of walking down bourbon street last year for 2 hrs looking for a place to hear some classic jazz and being confronted by nothing but wall-to-wall strip clubs. I was very disappointed to go to the city known for its jazz and missing an opportunity to hear any.

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities. A few of my city faves below:

-beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street..it is busy all the time so anticipate a wait or go in super late at night after drinking--it is 24 hours

-best fancy seafood spot was Commander's Palace--it is a N.O. institution and suggest making a reservation

-another great restaurant is Emeril Lagasse's restaurant, Nola on St. Louis

-muffalettas at Central Grocery on Decatur--they're big enough to share

-I also suggest checking the daily menu out at Dooky Chase--this is another long-standing N.O. institution

-visit Jackson Square

True Anomaly, I've gotten a lot more into bourbon this past year, to the point where I want to punch myself for not being all that curious about the Pappy Van Winkle you were chasing down in Vegas. I bet somebody in New Orleans would have something tasty behind the bar.

My friend, I'm way ahead of you. I have already identified a couple of locations we can check out for some Pappy. One way or another, bourbon will happen

I will also be at SEMPA 360 and taking the CAQ on the 27th. Ideas for stretching dollars are definitely welcome. Redfish grill and bourbon are too!

I have not reserved a car except for after the conference for getting to CAQ site and changing to less expensive hotel then too. Does anyone know if this is a terrible idea? Am I going to wish I had a car all week?

• 4 weeks later...

I was trying to make it to this conference this year...but it falls on one of my busiest work weeks and didn't feel like working out tons of trades. I loved it when I went a couple years ago in Tucson! Plus, AZ is just awesome in general and I got to see my Reds at Spring Training which was nice. I hope you all have a great time and of course, learn something ;)

I was trying to make it to this conference this year...but it falls on one of my busiest work weeks and didn't feel like working out tons of trades. I loved it when I went a couple years ago in Tucson! Plus, AZ is just awesome in general and I got to see my Reds at Spring Training which was nice. I hope you all have a great time and of course, learn something ;)

That's funny- I also took the opportunity during my Arizona trip after that conference to catch some Rangers spring training games!  One was actually against the Reds

hope you are well AJ.

it's funny, new orleans as the site for the conference was my idea and it's working out that I won't even be going....

I'm doing great! Have a new job starting soon, looking forward to helping open up a new ED! And working on getting all my EMS certs back and doing some teaching and hopefully some ED/EMS type stuff in the near future.

Can't make it to AAPA this year, but hopefully we will be able to meet up again at a conference next year.

Archived