Interview's for 2014 - School specific tips

Hi all,

I have been fortunate enough to receive an invitation to interview at Western U for the 2014 start year. I have been reading through these forums and noticed there are not many current threads. Is there anyone out there who has recently interviewed (within the last 1-5 years) at WesternU who would be willing to share some pointers?? For instance, what can I expect on the interview day? What do you think is the best way to prepare for the interview? Are there any written tests? What kind of dialogue and/or settings should I expect?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. It is very much appreciated!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear but everyone keeps saying that the interview format has changed recently and it might change again for this year. It would turn out even worse if I went in thinking I knew their interview style and it turned out to be completely different so I'm just gonna prepare for anything.

@patobe13 I sent in my supplemental before my CASPA was officially complete and GPA calculated. Though, I think I had it submitted in September.

@aiviphung I think that is good advice, and I definitely will be prepared for whatever format they choose. Just wondering if anyone had any feedback about how the experience was and if they had any preparation advice to share. My interview is later in January. Good luck to you guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am interviewing on Jan 15th too! Looking forward to meeting some of you.  Will be commuting in from Portland, OR.  Does anyone know how the interview will last?  I need to book my return flight asap.

As far as interview style, everything I have read is from a few years back.  I consulted the interview website that Western sent out. 

I am interviewing on Jan 15th too! Looking forward to meeting some of you.  Will be commuting in from Portland, OR.  Does anyone know how the interview will last?  I need to book my return flight asap.

As far as interview style, everything I have read is from a few years back.  I consulted the interview website that Western sent out. 

What interview website? A website attached to their confirmation email?

The interview link can with confirmation of my interview date and time.

Also, to those interviewing . . .  I spoke with a Michael at Western about the length of the interview. He said that it would last anywhere between 2 -4 hours after your check in time. I hope that helps!

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview at WesternU. It is a great program and you are one step closer to being accepted. Many of these questions regarding the interview process unfortunately cannot be answered...You will soon know that WesternU requires you to sign a nondisclosure agreement at the beginning of interview day. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be yourself. The staff and faculty already know about your grades and your accomplishments that you put on your application. What they don't know is who you are as a person. Don't try to fool them, they can see right through that.

It is true that last years interviews were completely different than the year before. And even as a first year student, no one knows the structure of the interview until it happens. There is no telling what the staff and faculty have in store this year. Good luck and be yourself!

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview at WesternU. It is a great program and you are one step closer to being accepted. Many of these questions regarding the interview process unfortunately cannot be answered...You will soon know that WesternU requires you to sign a nondisclosure agreement at the beginning of interview day. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be yourself. The staff and faculty already know about your grades and your accomplishments that you put on your application. What they don't know is who you are as a person. Don't try to fool them, they can see right through that.

It is true that last years interviews were completely different than the year before. And even as a first year student, no one knows the structure of the interview until it happens. There is no telling what the staff and faculty have in store this year. Good luck and be yourself!

Thanks for the help. Enjoy your clinical year!

I too have an interview come late January. It's both exciting and nerve-racking.

I was wondering about the interview type but found the answer and thought I'd share. It will be an interview panel. From the interview website attached to the email, it says that the interview is you plus a panel of 2 to 3 members.

Good luck to you all!

Hello everyone!

I spoke to the admissions office. Here is the format of the interview:

4 stations. 2 interviewers each station. 6 minutes per station. Timed.

Not sure what this means exactly. Is it an MMI interview? Is it a traditional interview but randomly split into 4 timed stations? Strange but possible. So.....prepare for everything??

If anyone has any further info, please share it with the rest of us.

Good luck future PAs!

Hello everyone!

I spoke to the admissions office. Here is the format of the interview:

4 stations. 2 interviewers each station. 6 minutes per station. Timed.

Not sure what this means exactly. Is it an MMI interview? Is it a traditional interview but randomly split into 4 timed stations? Strange but possible. So.....prepare for everything??

If anyone has any further info, please share it with the rest of us.

Good luck future PAs!

MMI interview format - 4 stations - 2 people in each room ranging from faculty to students - 5 minutes max or so in each room - If you answer the question fast prepare to sit there just smiling blankly at them

MMI interview format - 4 stations - 2 people in each room ranging from faculty to students - 5 minutes max or so in each room - If you answer the question fast prepare to sit there just smiling blankly at them

So, they don't ask you follow-up or secondary questions to use up the remaining time? You can't ask them questions or anything at the end?

Archived