Class of Probation 2016

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have looked at the posting history of most people on this forum regarding the probation.  They seem to be divided into two groups...  

One group can't get in at any other program and they also plopped down a large deposit, or they have already started the program.  This group, having no other option or already being committed financially, thereafter say the program is great.  

The other group makes assessments from an objective distance about the program and its consequential problems.     

jmedic already refuted this erroneous assumption very well, but I would also like to say that I was accepted to 4 other programs across the nation, and turned down many other interview invites. True, I will NOT be attending this program after my acceptance in Utah, but I believe that ATSU has been doing everything right to remedy the issue since they were first placed on probation.

A.T. Still University has been educating D.O. students since 1892. They have many other successful programs as well. They aren't going to let their PA program fail. I was even able to discuss this with PA faculty from other institutions. They have some expert faculty at the helm currently and have made some drastic changes. Programs in worse situations than this one have come off of probation before. In browsing some of the info on the ARC-PA website, I even saw programs that fully lost accreditation and regained it the next year.

I do not discount the fact that since they are on probation, it does merit meticulous consideration for those who have been accepted. The results of the ARC-PA review (scheduled to have taken place this month) should be available soon.

I like JJC's reply. I too hope that we can all become successful PAs.

jmedic already refuted this erroneous assumption very well, but I would also like to say that I was accepted to 4 other programs across the nation, and turned down many other interview invites. True, I will NOT be attending this program after my acceptance in Utah, but I believe that ATSU has been doing everything right to remedy the issue since they were first placed on probation.

A.T. Still University has been educating D.O. students since 1892. They have many other successful programs as well. They aren't going to let their PA program fail. I was even able to discuss this with PA faculty from other institutions. They have some expert faculty at the helm currently and have made some drastic changes. Programs in worse situations than this one have come off of probation before. In browsing some of the info on the ARC-PA website, I even saw programs that fully lost accreditation and regained it the next year.

I do not discount the fact that since they are on probation, it does merit meticulous consideration for those who have been accepted. The results of the ARC-PA review (scheduled to have taken place this month) should be available soon.

I like JJC's reply. I too hope that we can all become successful PAs.

Well said.

• 2 months later...

rcreek..... you sound like a politician who doesn't want to tell the truth so as not to offend anyone.  What are some of the reasons why you are choosing other programs over A.T. Still?

As far as the argument of educating students since 1892, I don't follow.  It takes a school 100+ years to start failing to provide the education the students paid for?  

Why are rotation sites continually dropping A.T. Still students and contracts but not other P.A. schools?

I don't know anything about the AT Still probation other than what has been posted here. That said, I wonder about the entire issue of an ARC-PA probation. My understanding is that schools have to meet stringent guidelines, some of which may seem unimportant to many of us but, hey, those are the requirements. When a school is put on probation it has a couple of years to clean up its act. During that entire time, even if the situation has been fully rectified, the probation remains in effect until the next review. Meanwhile, the school and students have to deal with all of these issues and some of the best students may not apply or may accept positions elsewhere.. There must be a better way.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't know anything about the AT Still probation other than what has been posted here. That said, I wonder about the entire issue of an ARC-PA probation. My understanding is that schools have to meet stringent guidelines, some of which may seem unimportant to many of us but, hey, those are the requirements. When a school is put on probation it has a couple of years to clean up its act. During that entire time, even if the situation has been fully rectified, the probation remains in effect until the next review. Meanwhile, the school and students have to deal with all of these issues and some of the best students may not apply or may accept positions elsewhere.. There must be a better way.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

The ARC-PA exists as a self-regulatory agency that relies on funding from sources like the schools they monitor.  When a school fails in its instruction, there is a lot of political pressure from the school directed at the ARC-PA to let it slide. 

It reflects poorly on all P.A. professionals, students, and schools when a program graduates students who haven't done required rotations, due to the rotations being dropped because of poorly trained students and a poorly run program. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did he or she say anything else about it? 

Keeping track with the medical advising office of my alma matter, they are saying this region is beginning to get saturated with PAs.  When a publicly-backed program opens, a lot of the teaching talent, industry support, and top students shift away from the private schools.   

Archived